You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

On 12/11/2023 at 16:15, TD_LFC said:

Very good in first half, went missing in the second.

i seem to be saying this a lot lately. we need to be giving him more 90s, because he tails off from about 60 in every game he starts. he's done very few 90s since he has been here. the trade off for that of course is we will have plenty of games like saturday, where he starts well and then becomes ineffective - and in fact Luton the week before, where he was a handful in the first half and the 2nd not at all. It's something we will have to live through while we build him up. It's been the same with Gravenberch, another player who's played very few 90s over the past season and a third and as a result, massively fades in games. 

On 07/11/2023 at 20:07, dave u said:

he does strangely though say it has taken us a long time to adapt to this system. i don't think he knows when we started it if he thinks that. it took us about half an hour v arsenal. and since then we have only lost 1 league game and that was one nobody should count as it was the spurs one. we've adapted to the system brilliantly and klopp has managed darwin's integration into it perfectly - the results are speaking for themselves. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

he does strangely though say it has taken us a long time to adapt to this system. i don't think he knows when we started it if he thinks that. it took us about half an hour v arsenal. and since then we have only lost 1 league game and that was one nobody should count as it was the spurs one. we've adapted to the system brilliantly and klopp has managed darwin's integration into it perfectly - the results are speaking for themselves. 

The Arsenal game was our 29th in the league last season. So it has been 22 (21.5) games with Trent inverting. 

In our last 22 league games we have 51 points (should rightly be at least 52 - fucking Spurs). We would probably have beaten Southampton, if Champions League football was achievable on the final day of last season, also.

In their previous 22 league games:

Man City - 53 points

Aston Villa - 45 points

Man United - 43 points

Arsenal - 42 points

Newcastle - 38 points

Brighton - 35 points

We have a superb record since the formation switch was made. 51-54 points from 22 games is back to 2021/2022 form. It has worked.

It, and the whole team/squad needs further improvement, but we are much more than the sum of our parts right now, and are competing at the top of the league, which is all we can really ask really. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

The Arsenal game was our 29th in the league last season. So it has been 22 (21.5) games with Trent inverting. 

In our last 22 league games we have 51 points (should rightly be at least 52 - fucking Spurs). We would probably have beaten Southampton, if Champions League football was achievable on the final day of last season, also.

In their previous 22 league games:

Man City - 53 points

Aston Villa - 45 points

Man United - 43 points

Arsenal - 42 points

Newcastle - 38 points

Brighton - 35 points

We have a superb record since the formation switch was made. 51-54 points from 22 games is back to 2021/2022 form. It has worked.

It, and the whole team/squad needs further improvement, but we are much more than the sum of our parts right now, and are competing at the top of the league, which is all we can really ask really. 

The three best teams in the country is playing the inverted full back, and still you have people harping on us needing to ‘get a proper right back in’.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

The three best teams in the country is playing the inverted full back, and still you have people harping on us needing to ‘get a proper right back in’.

I think the issue is it doesn't look great on the eye. And in Trent's case, it seems we're reducing his opportunity to make match winning contributions. But the bottom line is the system is producing results. I know I'd sooner have this than the shit show we witnessed at the start of last season. 

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think the issue is it doesn't look great on the eye. And in Trent's case, it seems we're reducing his opportunity to make match winning contributions. But the bottom line is the system is producing results. I know I'd sooner have this than the shit show we witnessed at the start of last season. 

Ideally we can get to a point when Trent is so smart he can make the decision to go inside or outside based on the play and where we’ll get most advantage. 

Does seem a bit counterintuitive though that when we get a “classic number 9” that we stop the fullbacks flying up the pitch getting crosses in.

19 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think he meant that we couldn't put Nunez in there while the rest of the team were adapting to it. I seem to remember he did a video earlier in the season going through all of that, may have been after the Newcastle game actually.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Ideally we can get to a point when Trent is so smart he can make the decision to go inside or outside based on the play and where we’ll get most advantage. 

Does seem a bit counterintuitive though that when we get a “classic number 9” that we stop the fullbacks flying up the pitch getting crosses in.

Yeah, I was thinking on Saturday actually with Jota on that left wing, who's movement is good and is good in the air, it's a definite loss not having great crossing ability on the right. If Nunez is in there, you can easily see him moving and taking players with him creating space for Jota, so it's not like we'd only have the one option for the cross. 

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I think he meant that we couldn't put Nunez in there while the rest of the team were adapting to it. I seem to remember he did a video earlier in the season going through all of that, may have been after the Newcastle game actually.

That's fair enough if that's what he meant. It's the first time I've seen him.