You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you view someone who doesn't drink?

deiseach

How do you view someone who doesn't drink?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view someone who doesn't drink?

• Meh, what they do with their time and money is up to them
    • Bit of a weirdo, if I'm being absolutely honest

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/22 at 09:54

I'm not tee total, but I probably drink at most 3 or 4 times a year and even then it's a very limited amount. 

Whenever you tell anybody this they seem entirely baffled by it.

People who seem baffled by it are almost always absolutely devoid of personality and seem to think that going to the same shitty bars and clubs every week, with the same bunch of fucking idiots gives them some kind of interesting personality.

Also, drunk people are really, really, really fucking annoying. They are only tolerable if you are also drunk. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolutely their choice and fuck all to do with anyone else. I envy non-drinkers quite a bit but I doubt I could ever just quit the booze. I’ve cut back a hell of a lot after the last few years though and it feels great. 

83D0528F-725C-488F-B2BA-F34EDBB7DFD5.png

Totally agree. Again. 

Totally their choice but I still voted ‘bit of a weirdo’ even though it’s much more my issue than theirs. If they also don’t like the unmentionable then me and them are probably going to struggle to bond.

The sensible answer is, of course, the first one. We don’t know what’s behind their decision not to drink. For many that can be complex and certainly not something to be taken lightly.

The weirdos. 

p.s. I was actually thinking about this earlier. I don’t even enjoy drinking or the unmentionable anymore. I still spend much of my time engaging with both though. It’s probably me that’s the weirdo. 

My Mrs doesn't drink and hasn't done for 20 years. Given that when we initially met 21 years ago, she just completely changed from being lovely sober, to a jealous and unpredictable psycho when she had a few bevvies, i fully endorsed her decision to stop drinking. There is no way we would still be together if she had carried on. So i have no issue with people who don't drink, i am curious when it's people who have never even tried it once though.  

Also, it allowed me to get hammered and get a lift home every time we went out too. Win/win. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

My Mrs doesn't drink and hasn't done for 20 years. Given that when we initially met 21 years ago, she just completely changed from being lovely sober, to a jealous and unpredictable psycho when she had a few bevvies, i fully endorsed her decision to stop drinking. There is no way we would still be together if she had carried on. So i have no issue with people who don't drink, i am curious when it's people who have never even tried it once though.  

Also, it allowed me to get hammered and get a lift home every time we went out too. Win/win. 

I wonder how many people genuinely like booze when they start though. First time I had a pint of lager I thought it was rancid, as did most of the lads I was with, though wouldn't admit it. Takes you about ten years to drink one when you're a teenager, I knock them back like water these days. 

Same with whisky, first time I had neat Glenfidich I thought my eyes were going to fall out. 

It's no coincidence that the 'binge drinking' explosion largely coincided with the advent of booze that was more palatable to non-drinkers, like Reef and WKD. You'd see people downing about ten of the fuckers before going to a club, no way most people could do that with beer - unless they're a darts player. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I wonder how many people genuinely like booze

I’ve been drinking myself into a stupor most weekends for more than thirty years. I can honestly say I’ve never liked booze all that much. It’s always been about the destination, rather than the journey. 

This has probably helped me in some ways though as I rarely drink at home. In my head I can’t see the point.

A cider in the sun or a wee dram at Christmas are the rare exceptions.