You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a laugh - they Rang Nick and got Ralf

rb14

This Harry McGuire stuff is weird and actually makes me feel quite uncomfortable. We've had our fair share of shit players down the years, but bomb scares and some of the pure hate you see online.

But the this is the fanbase that turned up at Rooney and Woodward's houses with pictchforks.

They're weird bastards, an unholy mix of cocky and thick.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

This Harry McGuire stuff is weird and actually makes me feel quite uncomfortable. We've had our fair share of shit players down the years, but bomb scares and some of the pure hate you see online.

But the this is the fanbase that turned up at Rooney and Woodward's houses with pictchforks.

Which is why they’re in this mess and why they’ll continue to struggle until they accept their new status, which of course they never will. 

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Perfect description. They are the nastiest fan base going, not all but a lot of them.

9 minutes ago, Elite said:

Perfect description. They are the nastiest fan base going, not all but a lot of them.

It's human nature, a lot of people define themselves by the success of their teams, as their day to day lives have so little agency, and they knew nothing but success for the best part of twenty years.

They are used to being defined by their team as winners and never having the introspection most people who live vicariously do, it's the same with us in the 70/80's and why we were, and are still, consindered 'unbearable', we always won and were used to calling all and sundry shite all of the time, that effects people.

These gobshites have been used to shouting people down by virtue of being 'better' their whole adult lives and they have no fucking idea how to deal with not having that outlet in life anymore and they have fuck all to cling to and are spinning like Dervish trying to find meaning and substance, but finding nothing and being confused and angry as the constant they've always known has gone.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You can't let the worst of people define all the people. Most mancs I know are disgusted with the treatment of Maguire. There is a difference between saying a players crap and just being outright abusive and most normal people know the line.

I think you can generalise when it comes to fanbases because that's part of a specific club's culture and the reason they were attracted to it in the first place.

It's widely accepted they built their rep on the Munich disaster and attracted a lot of new fans who weren't previously into football, then the good PR (biggest club in the world) and 90s success added more layers to it.

Man U fans aren't (mostly) twats because they're twats in the real world or were born twats, but what attracted them to footy was success and one upmanship, that's why they tend to be from towns like Harrogate and Leigh, because they had no decent side of their own to support. Much like England fans.

It's not a football club and hasn't been for some time, they're showbiz and their fans are customers who demand what they pay for - the right of a small man to walk tall on Monday morning. If they don't get that, the Newton Heath scarves come out and they want their money back for a defective product that was not sold as seen.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

They’ve got a bit of a problem with Ronaldo. He’s clearly head and shoulders above the rest and the only one who actually gives a shit however he’s 37 so does ETH persist with him up front or does he let him go?  

It was in the press a couple of weeks ago one of his terms of taking over is letting Ronaldo go. 

If they're not in the Champions League, Ronaldo will leave anyway. They won't have to kick him out.

Fernandes is an odd player. He's clearly good and he knows where the goal is, but he treats the ball like it's a grenade. There's games where he just gives it away for 90 minutes.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

If they're not in the Champions League, Ronaldo will leave anyway. They won't have to kick him out.

Fernandes is an odd player. He's clearly good and he knows where the goal is, but he treats the ball like it's a grenade. There's games where he just gives it away for 90 minutes.

He's so overrated it's unreal.

No wonder none of the top clubs went near him.

39 minutes ago, m0e said:

He's so overrated it's unreal.

No wonder none of the top clubs went near him.

He is if he doesn't fancy it. When he's on his game he's very difficult to stop. If he was on relative terms and wages like say Karl Heinz Riedle was here or Henrik Larsson was at the Mancs themselves he would have had clubs queuing up to give him a short term deal. But he has such a high opinion of himself,along with marketing that goes with him,that clubs couldn't justify paying that sort of money. Add the fact that he's not a team player and you know it would be like setting a hand grenade off in the dressing room. Just to digress a little about Ronaldo,but Portugal have always been a better team without him internationally and now have players who are world class in several positions(like Jota for example) but you still hear mention only of Ronaldo in the media and it must piss those players off no end with them being overlooked all the time. I gonestly think Figo was much better all round and mostly because he understood the team ethic despite being a superstar.

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He is if he doesn't fancy it. When he's on his game he's very difficult to stop. If he was on relative terms and wages like say Karl Heinz Riedle was here or Henrik Larsson was at the Mancs themselves he would have had clubs queuing up to give him a short term deal. But he has such a high opinion of himself,along with marketing that goes with him,that clubs couldn't justify paying that sort of money. Add the fact that he's not a team player and you know it would be like setting a hand grenade off in the dressing room. Just to digress a little about Ronaldo,but Portugal have always been a better team without him internationally and now have players who are world class in several positions(like Jota for example) but you still hear mention only of Ronaldo in the media and it must piss those players off no end with them being overlooked all the time. I gonestly think Figo was much better all round and mostly because he understood the team ethic despite being a superstar.

I meant Fernandes

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Man U fans aren't (mostly) twats because they're twats in the real world or were born twats, but what attracted them to footy was success and one upmanship, that's why they tend to be from towns like Harrogate and Leigh, because they had no decent side of their own to support. Much like England fans.

It's not a football club and hasn't been for some time, they're showbiz and their fans are customers who demand what they pay for - the right of a small man to walk tall on Monday morning. If they don't get that, the Newton Heath scarves come out and they want their money back for a defective product that was not sold as seen.

But they are mostly twats.  You contradict yourself in the second paragraph [I quoted]: we all know the billy bollocks Utd fan who strides in on Monday morning giving it the 'bants', but is nowhere to be seen when they lose.

Can't speak for Harrogate, but Leigh was 60:40 Mancs:Reds when I was growing up.  Most of the wider Utd fanbase is south of Crewe, cf that shitty 'Utd fans react to Liverpool defeat video'.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

They were right to drop Maguire. To state the obvious he's crap. 

He is but he is the least of their problems. He seems like a good pro. It's not his fault they paid £80m for him. 

He shouldn't be at a club like Manchester United but I bet he isn't a cancer in the dressing room like half of the cunts there currently. 

It's disgusting what they have done to Maguire and I'm not condoning it for a second but I'd have more time for their "fans" if they went after Pogba 

• Upvote 1

The maguire thing seems to be getting blown out of proportion a bit (if you will pardon the pun)

It sounds like some random fruit loop has made a threat on the Internet. 

As for the player himself I think the lack of criticism he gets is remarkable. He cost more than van dijk and he is a fucking cart horse.

When he did start getting an iota of criticism,he scored against some Lithuanian sheep herders and then cupped his ears as if he had just outwitted Franco baresi

Gobshite. 

• Upvote 5

49 minutes ago, Razoray said:

He is but he is the least of their problems. He seems like a good pro. It's not his fault they paid £80m for him. 

He shouldn't be at a club like Manchester United but I bet he isn't a cancer in the dressing room like half of the cunts there currently. 

It's disgusting what they have done to Maguire and I'm not condoning it for a second but I'd have more time for their "fans" if they went after Pogba 

I agree he's the least of their problems, but he has regressed while playing there. The lad is never going to be another vvd, but he can be a solid Steve Bruce type - but he's not that at the moment. In fact the point you make about the twats in their team, I'm sure if they had less underperforming twats, his levels would not be where they are now. 

The best thing about Maguire is his ridiculous fee took the pressure of Virgil straight away. Hilarious when you think he’s ten times the player Maguire is.

As for Utd fans being so unbearable I remember a lad I used to work with (he was about 21) talking shite and saying Gerrard had never won the league - so I pointed out he’d won every other trophy he could win in this country. He was genuinely surprised!

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, suzy said:

The best thing about Maguire is his ridiculous fee took the pressure of Virgil straight away. Hilarious when you think he’s ten times the player Maguire is.

As for Utd fans being so unbearable I remember a lad I used to work with (he was about 21) talking shite and saying Gerrard had never won the league - so I pointed out he’d won every other trophy he could win in this country. He was genuinely surprised!

He also scored in every cup final and lifted big ears, the FA cup and the league cup as captain.

It was said even before Fernandes signed for Utd that he was a player who looked good as an individual but playing in a team not built around him and, and one that could mask his deficiencies, he'd not look as good. Plenty also said the introduction of Ronaldo would see Fernandes' production drop significantly., both have turned out to be true.

More generally they have two players in the starting 11 where personal output trumps team output so it's no wonder they're struggling when they have to play with 9 men from the off.

It's what makes Ronaldo a bad signing despite his goals.

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It was said even before Fernandes signed for Utd that he was a player who looked good as an individual but playing in a team not built around him and, and one that could mask his deficiencies, he'd not look as good. Plenty also said the introduction of Ronaldo would see Fernandes' production drop significantly., both have turned out to be true.

More generally they have two players in the starting 11 where personal output trumps team output so it's no wonder they're struggling when they have to play with 9 men from the off.

It's what makes Ronaldo a bad signing despite his goals.

Their entire team, not just Fernandes, has dropped off massively since they signed Ronaldo. It would feel he made a toxic environment worse if there is such a thing. Who knows what will happen if they ever get back to the manager being the clubs figure head, some of these players may improve sharpish. That's why klopp deserves so much credit with us, the Rodgers team was completely gone, but he managed to find a way to work with plenty of the players, while quickly identifying those not up to it and bad apples. 

Yep, while I don't think Solskjaer would have got them back to the top, the clubs obsession with social media metrics torpedoed what he was building. Pivoting to signing Ronaldo just when they had been trying to strengthen the midfield sealed their fate.

• Upvote 1