You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

2 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

100% agree. The referees are over complicating things by thinking I am going to let the game flow, I am not going to book anyone easily in the first 10 or 15 mins or whatever but the result of that is injury like this. If they book for the right foul, regardless of whether its in the 1st min or 90th min then the injuries will reduce drastically.

Which is probably why Jurgen was so pissed off with the ref.  It’s not so much the individual mistakes but the abdication of control. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

100% agree. The referees are over complicating things by thinking I am going to let the game flow, I am not going to book anyone easily in the first 10 or 15 mins or whatever but the result of that is injury like this. If they book for the right foul, regardless of whether its in the 1st min or 90th min then the injuries will reduce drastically.

Thats a change from the old method of an early booking to let the players know who is in charge.

9 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

If Endo was deemed as offside then Varane should have been offside as well. He did exactly the same thing against Forest yesterday.

Howard Webb will probably say that they listened to people saying our goal shouldn’t have been disallowed so have changed the interpretation. 

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Howard Webb will probably say that they listened to people saying our goal shouldn’t have been disallowed so have changed the interpretation. 

In fairness  Virgil’s shouldn’t have been disallowed . But they will excuse last nights call with some other obscure reason. Has anyone in the media mentioned it? 

38 minutes ago, The wanderer said:

In fairness  Virgil’s shouldn’t have been disallowed . But they will excuse last nights call with some other obscure reason. Has anyone in the media mentioned it? 

It's just been on SSN, they didn't say much beyond there was a var review and varane wasn't classed as interfering while blocking from an offside position. 

1 minute ago, DaveT said:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/02/explained-why-man-united-winner-stood-but-virgil-van-dijk-offside-goal-didnt/

Not seen any footage myself, but this feels like another of those contortionist tricks, trying to rationalise away yet another glaring inconsistency….. involving the same ref, days apart. ‘Dropping zone’, wtf?!

Hahahaha so are they saying that since Fernandes rat dropped the free kick low (or just a shit freekick), its not a foul and therefore not offside? 

2 minutes ago, Code said:

But more importantly, how is a manc allowed to referee the mancs?

Peter Bankes is a confessed Everton supporter. Guess how many times he’s reffed Everton or Liverpool? Correct - zero. (Which is as it should be). 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Code said:

But more importantly, how is a manc allowed to referee the mancs?

It happens all the time. It's a fucking joke and I can't quite understand why the question doesn't get asked about

1. Why are there so many manc referees, what does the rest of the country not do to get their refs on the elite professional ladder?

2. Why there seems to be certain rules about geography applied to some regions and not others? 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It happens all the time. It's a fucking joke and I can't quite understand why the question doesn't get asked about

1. Why are there so many manc referees, what does the rest of the country not do to get their refs on the elite professional ladder?

2. Why there seems to be certain rules about geography applied to some regions and not others? 

Exactly. It is astounding why this is not being questioned? No questions were raised when some of these twats went to Abu Dhabi either. 

It doesn't matter if a referee does not support any team in that region, there is a very high probability that a few of their family members do support them. I think someone said Tierney's brother is a City fan and yet he officiates in their games. Its fucking scandalous. Imagine the "advise" he will be having from his City supporting brother when he is the ref in our game v City.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I don’t really care about where an individual ref is from but when there’s fucking loads of them from one region and hardly any from other places it does kind of imply something is dodgy in the way they are selected. 

It's fine if it doesn't matter where someone is from providing that is shared fairly through all teams and regions. Having different rules for different regions seems fucked up. 

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Exactly. It is astounding why this is not being questioned? No questions were raised when some of these twats went to Abu Dhabi either. 

It doesn't matter if a referee does not support any team in that region, there is a very high probability that a few of their family members do support them. I think someone said Tierney's brother is a City fan and yet he officiates in their games. Its fucking scandalous. Imagine the "advise" he will be having from his City supporting brother when he is the ref in our game v City.

In a normal world, a normal organisation would avoid this scenario if only for the sake of appearances. But Webb, and Riley before him, have the attitude of ‘we’re PGMOL, we do what we want’. There’s zero accountability. 

11 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's fine if it doesn't matter where someone is from providing that is shared fairly through all teams and regions. Having different rules for different regions seems fucked up. 

There are 23 EPL refs apparently. I reckon we have had maybe half ref our games . We seem to have a core of 6 or 7 that are pushed our way and 3 or 4 of them have manc connections.

• 4 weeks later...