You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mv Estonia Sea ferry disaster

chrisbonnie

13 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I was 8 I think. I was just pissed off they cancelled everything I wanted to watch!

That’s mental! I said you were 7 because I saw the ‘7 years earlier’ and mention of kids programmes and I really thought you’d said you were 7!

years earlier “ 

15 hours ago, suzy said:

I remember that very well. My uncle used to work on it. He wasn’t working that day though. Someone locally (they live Dover) swapped his shift and wasn’t onboard that day. Two weeks later he had a motorbike accident and died. When your number is up....

Also I don’t think they forgot to close the door, they regularly used to sail closing it as they moved. Not allowed now of course.

Yes, company orders to get sailing as quick as possible to meet the timetable. All the ferries used to cast off with the bow doors open, do a 180 and sail out of the harbour while the doors were in the process of being closed. In a bit of a swell, you could ship water quicker than you realised.

That Estonia vessel I think was caught in a storm and the bow doors either hadnt been closed or locked properly.

People dont realise how much sheer power there is in a wave. A cubic metre of water weighs 1 ton. Imagine having 25 metre waves crashing onto the bow of these vessels. Not a nice thought.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, company orders to get sailing as quick as possible to meet the timetable. All the ferries used to cast off with the bow doors open, do a 180 and sail out of the harbour while the doors were in the process of being closed. In a bit of a swell, you could ship water quicker than you realised.

That Estonia vessel I think was caught in a storm and the bow doors either hadnt been closed or locked properly.

People dont realise how much sheer power there is in a wave. A cubic metre of water weighs 1 ton. Imagine having 25 metre waves crashing onto the bow of these vessels. Not a nice thought.

my old man used to do contract work on Irish Ferries back in the 80's. He's a flooring contractor, they'd go out for the weekend and fit new carpets-lino etc at night.

He was saying they used to have their stores in the bottom of the ship, near the engine room. First trip he did the weather wasnt too great, nothing crazy mind, just a bit rough, but when he was down in the bellows of the ship a big wave clattered into the boat and he said it created an inward dint the size of a van. He shit himself, ran back upstairs and was assured that was the norm. 

As for the cubic metre anaology, thats totally true, and if imagine just one inch of water across the whole car deck of a ferry, how much weight is that?  the ship was simply overturn. Scary shit. 

11 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I doubt that, there are plenty of cunts in the world without singling out Britain all the time. 

I think he implying that they were mainly refugees who perished and that a lot of British cunts are currently all up for sinking refuges coming across the channel. 

17 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I don't remember it either. 

Which is odd as I remember the Zeebrugge disaster, and that was 7 years earlier. But maybe that's mainly because the fuckers at the BBC cancelled the Saturday morning kids programmes to devote rolling news coverage to a sunken ferry.

1987 would have meant Mike Read's Saturday Superstore being cancelled...

I'm saying nothing.....

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I think he implying that they were mainly refugees who perished and that a lot of British cunts are currently all up for sinking refuges coming across the channel. 

Maybe but that episode of WW2 was dreadful and I doubt people cheered that innocents died like that, and I know there was plenty of other instances then but that one seemed to a needless act of barbarism, good old Russia eh? 

Going back to migrants, what about their own kind profiteering out them, they are also cunts, have been to each other for 100s of years. 

6 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Maybe but that episode of WW2 was dreadful and I doubt people cheered that innocents died like that, and I know there was plenty of other instances then but that one seemed to a needless act of barbarism, good old Russia eh? 

Going back to migrants, what about their own kind profiteering out them, they are also cunts, have been to each other for 100s of years. 

Oh the smugglers can get fucked for sure. 

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

I doubt that, there are plenty of cunts in the world without singling out Britain all the time. 

You need to get out more then.

I've seen plenty people saying that we should just sink boats full of immigrants coming over the channel & heard similar in the pub too.

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

You need to get out more then.

I've seen plenty people saying that we should just sink boats full of immigrants coming over the channel & heard similar in the pub too.

I'm always out, everyone's heard that in pubs etc, you hear shite all the time whether on here, other social media or just in general 

I need to learn to stay in to be honest. 

Just now, easytoslip said:

I'm always out, everyone's heard that in pubs etc, you hear shite all the time whether on here, other social media or just in general 

I need to learn to stay in to be honest. 

So you doubt what I'm saying despite having seen/heard it yourself?

Ok.

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

No, it's just the singling out of Britain all the time when there is more cunt countries in this world. 

Come on mate, we are in Britain. It would have been weird if he went "The fucking venezualans will have been over the bastard moon" plus I haven't heard a load of other nationalities saying they hope refugees drown in the channel. 

Fuck Britain. 

• 2 months later...

Just got around to watching this documentary on the discovery plus app on sky digital. 

Holy shit, those swedes are a dodgy bunch aren't they........... 

Not sure whether I should ruin it or not. But there seems plenty of evidence to suggest something untoward happened to that ship. 

The Swedish government in the first few days they'll do everything in their power to salvage the vessel and bring up the bodies. 

Then within weeks blatantly refuse to do this claiming it was too deep. Its only 70 metres below the surface. 

They've never bothered to actually investigate the ship for damage to see what caused the sinking. 

They sent a British salvage company down to see if it was possible to bring they bodies or ship up, when told it was easy enough to refused. Even though the British drivers got onto the ship and counted over 170 bodies they themselves could have resurfaced there and then. But they weren't allowed. 

The Swedish government, along with thread Estonian, Finnish and a free other baltic started then signed an agreement to declare the sight of the wreckage a grave site, which then made it illegal to dive there. 

The Swedish government then dropped 100,000 tonnes of rocks onto the wreckage from a barge, in an attempt to encase the wreckage. 

The swedes then had an "independent enquiry" into the disaster and the head of the tribunal openly admitted he burned the evidence after drafting up his findings as he thought there was no point in keeping any of the evidence...... Wtf!!! 

For any of the enquiries they never took statements from shut of the survivors. So when they published their findings, none of the timeliness fit with what the survivors went through. 

After 20 years the swedes admitted the Swedish military had smuggled Russian military equipment through Estonia and brought it to Sweden via the ferry itself. They admitted to doing it on two sailings a week and two weeks before the sinking, but wouldn't confirm whether they did on the night of the disaster. 

The list goes on and on. I'm even leaving out the most obvious and clear part of the cover up. But it's a great documentary and certainly one that should be watched. 

• Upvote 2