You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Semi Final - Led Zeppelin vs The Rolling Stones

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Semi Final - Led Zeppelin vs The Rolling Stones   

100 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Semi Final - Led Zeppelin vs The Rolling Stones

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/20 at 19:34

13 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Have you not heard the half hour drum solos? 

I wouldn’t say they were known for their restraint. 

I've been Zeppelin daft for 25 years, have all their official output as well as a decent number of bootleg CDs & DVDs & have never heard them playing a half hour drum solo.

John Bonham only soloed for that length on three occasions, once in 1973 & twice on the 1977 tour (two consecutive nights in Landover).

One thing Zeppelin have over bands like The Stones & The Who is that they threw in the towel at the correct time, thus preserving their musical legacy.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mook said:

The Beatles were the dominant band of the 60s, Led Zeppelin were the same in the 70s.

That's what Howie means & he's right.

Exactly. I don't think people realise quite how big Zeppelin were. As much as I like the Stones, they were never really anywhere near as big as Led Zeppelin were at their zenith. As you say, Page, Plant and Jones had the foresight to stop when Bonham died and they realised it could never be the same again. In contrast, the Stones have spent the last 40 years releasing increasingly mediocre albums. They're still a decent live act, but they've been coasting on past glories for decades. When you think about it, their last killer single was Start Me Up, and their last great album was Some Girls. Nothing since has even approached those.

I know record sales are a naff way to judge bands, but when Led Zeppelin have sold 300 million of their 8 studio albums and 13 live or compilation albums, and the Stones 200 million of their 53 (23 live, 30 studio, plus Christ knows how many compilations) over nearly 50 years, then it's pretty telling how massively concentrated Zep's popularity was.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Code said:

You can discount Elivs & that country guy, I said bands!

Anyway, 3rd / 5th. Approaching double The Stones. And has been mentioned, Zepplin had a much shorter career / discography.

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

No. Great songs great band but always second fiddle to the Beatles (and during the mid 60's probably the Kinks as well) until about 70

71-72 was their apex - both musically and backstage/circus wise - I don't think they ever hit those heights again.

What they do have on their side is time. (see what I did there...)

From 1973 - to like 77-78 - at least in the states - Zeppelin were by far the biggest. It is not just about record sales.

Yes they were, but the Stones from 68/74, recored some shit hot sounds, some of it  countryish starting with Beggars Banquet  through to Goats Head Soup and for me they get my vote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

You can discount Elivs & that country guy, I said bands!

Anyway, 3rd / 5th. Approaching double The Stones. And has been mentioned, Zepplin had a much shorter career / discography.

New Order and The Smiths nowhere to be seen in the Top 50 best selling artist of all time.

Pink Floyd in 10th though or 5th if we look at just the bands.

Top 15 selling bands.

1. The Beatles

2. Eagles

3. Led Zeppelin

4. AC/ DC

5. Pink Floyd

6. Aerosmith

7. The Rolling Stones

8. Bruce Springsteen ( not sure if I should include him)

9. Metallica

10. Van Halen

11. Fleetwood Mac

12. U2

13. Journey

14. Alabama

15. Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

16. Guns’n Roses (because of Springsteen)

Just now, Scott_M said:

Surprised Aerosmith are so high up.

Anyways, Metallica are the best band on that list. 

Well Then Beatles are followed by AC/DC. Metallica are fucking superb though. 

Journey at 13 yet none of you cunts put them as a choice on the US band tournament 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Well Then Beatles are followed by AC/DC. Metallica are fucking superb though. 

Journey at 13 yet none of you cunts put them as a choice on the US band tournament 

Someone mentioned them did they not?

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Yes they were, but the Stones from 68/74, recored some shit hot sounds, some of it  countryish starting with Beggars Banquet  through to Goats Head Soup and for me they get my vote.

Apart from the fact I voted for Zeppelin, I could not agree more with this post. That run of albums was stupendous.

1973:

Led Zeppelin had just released their fifth album 'Houses of the Holy', they were at the top of their game and played a string of live performances that put them in the record books several times over. At the opening night in Atlanta Braves' Stadium Led Zeppelin pulled in a crowd of 49,000 which destroyed the Beatles previous record of 33,000 and grossed $246,180 for the band. But this wasn't all, the band then moved on to Tampa, Florida and played to the largest crowd that had ever gathered to a single concert performance. They broke another Beatles attendance record (55,000 at Shea), drew 57,000 to the event and grossed $309 000. Which at the time was the highest amount ever grossed for a rock concert.

22 minutes ago, Code said:

New Order and The Smiths nowhere to be seen in the Top 50 best selling artist of all time.

Pink Floyd in 10th though or 5th if we look at just the bands.

Top 15 selling bands.

1. The Beatles

2. Eagles

3. Led Zeppelin

4. AC/ DC

5. Pink Floyd

6. Aerosmith

7. The Rolling Stones

8. Bruce Springsteen ( not sure if I should include him)

9. Metallica

10. Van Halen

11. Fleetwood Mac

12. U2

13. Journey

14. Alabama

15. Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

16. Guns’n Roses (because of Springsteen)

Is Stefan Dennis in the top 50? 

• Upvote 2