You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

This is a country that said David Cameron was charismatic! Whoever writes the headlines owns the country.

Cameron was seen as somebody far more attractive than Brown. Plus, don't forget, that Labour had just come off the back of the 2008 crash. It's funny, looking back on it Cameron seems like a pretty decent booby prize in comparison to what came after the cunt. 

The media is a big deal, though it's not everything. It's a major thing and that's something Labour need to get under control. 

9 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

No support for the teachers from Starmer either because a month of education is clearly more important than spreading a virus around in a global pandemic. The teachers should just tell Labour and the Tories to go and fuck off and go on strike.

Starmer wanted it during the school break. Has he come out and said ‘fuck the teachers’ or something, or is this another Twitter storm?

6 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

No support for the teachers from Starmer either because a month of education is clearly more important than spreading a virus around in a global pandemic. The teachers should just tell Labour and the Tories to go and fuck off and go on strike.

All the emergency workers, shop workers etc have to go to work as do many other people.

The difference is they are allowed to wear masks/ppe whereas teachers, teaching assistants, dinner ladies aren't. 

I've said it before on this forum that the above mentioned staff as well as pupils should at the very least be given the option to wear a mask should they want to.

My Missus is a school caretaker and my daughter is a teacher so they see what happens everyday as regards the virus.

I

11 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Starmer wanted it during the school break. Has he come out and said ‘fuck the teachers’ or something, or is this another Twitter storm?

To paraphrase...

The Gov fucked up timing, I was right, I wanted the kids out during the holidays, but the Gov fucked that so if we put teachers, students and others on the same essentail testing list as NHS staff and it can be done with those guarentees then it can be managed and students don't miss out, especially the most at risk.

So support for an effective system that protects students and teachers, with T&T functioning central to it then it's the best of a worse case senario.

Won't happen though as the Gov will fuck it up, again, and the schools will be out, again.

Starmer makes Boris look stupid, again.

Sensible positioning.

I assume that's Tory, or even worse Blairite though so fuck him, I sharn't listen!

13 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

I don't know anything about a twitter storm, but I doubt ignoring this is going to help either the gov or Labour :

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

What the fuck? Why aren't they allowed to wear masks?

They are, don’t listen. 

It was optional to start with, no school could reasonably stop you.

Now it’s part of the deal that you wear it in communal areas and in the classroom is optional.

Any school that is objecting is breaking several union policies and wider interpretable laws.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't know anything about a twitter storm, but I doubt ignoring this is going to help either the gov or Labour :

So how is Starmer not supporting teachers? What has he done now? Not said the thing you wanted him to say yet? Seems like you’re criticising him for somehow being against teachers. He wanted a lock down a while back during the half term. He can’t close the schools, mate. He can only try to win back power. Looks like he is making the government look like it is incompetent, which is one of the most effective strategies in British politics. 

1 minute ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

So how is Starmer not supporting teachers?

By not supporting the schools being closed. I'm just a Corbynite though so it has to be said in bad faith obviously. Nothing to do with being bothered about the teachers in a high risk environment or the kids spreading it all over the country.

1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Fuck Captain Hindsight.  *

* Hindsight is saying if you don't do A, then B will happen. Then when B happens pointing out, just like I said weeks ago you should have done A.

That is Hindsight yes ? 

It is. In hindsight he showed foresight. Absolute rogue. 

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They are, don’t listen. 

It was optional to start with, no school could reasonably stop you.

Now it’s part of the deal that you wear it in communal areas and in the classroom is optional.

Any school that is objecting is breaking several union policies and wider interpretable laws.

They aren't in the schools where my missus or daughter work. (Different schools).

It's at the discretion of the headteacher. 

2 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

They aren't in the schools where my missus or daughter work. (Different schools).

It's at the discretion of the headteacher. 

Well then he/she is breaking several workplace H&S laws around protection of vulnerable people and protecting employees, and wider covid emergency laws, and should be reported as such.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

By not supporting the schools being closed. I'm just a Corbynite though so it has to be said in bad faith obviously. Nothing to do with being bothered about the teachers in a high risk environment or the kids spreading it all over the country.

Come on now, put that down. I didn’t say anything about Corbyn. He wanted the lockdown when schools were closed. He can only now make the government look shit for how they’ve done this. They’re looking more ridiculous the more time goes on. Starmer has 158 fewer seats, he is pretty much powerless (not, in my view, his fault). This entire thing is brewing so they take the fall for all of this. It has nothing to do with Corbyn. I’m sick of hearing about him. He is no longer relevant. His mess is being cleared up. We need to move on. 

The World Health Organisation published a statement on 21 August about children and face coverings. They now advise that “children aged 12 and over should wear a mask under the same conditions as adults, in particular when they cannot guarantee at least a 1-metre distance from others and there is widespread transmission in the area.”

Nationwide, the government is not recommending face coverings are necessary in education settings generally because a system of controls, applicable to all education environments, provides additional mitigating measures. Schools and colleges will have the discretion to require face coverings in indoor communal areas where social distancing cannot be safely managed, if they believe that it is right in their particular circumstances.

Examples of where education leaders might decide to recommend the wearing of face coverings - for pupils, staff and visitors - in communal areas of the education setting include:

• where the layout of the school or college estate makes it particularly difficult to maintain social distancing when staff and pupils are moving around the premises

• where on top of hygiene measures and the system of controls recommended in the full opening guidance to schools and FE colleges and providers, permitting the use of face coverings for staff, pupils or other visitors would provide additional confidence to parents to support a full return of children to school or college

In primary schools where social distancing is not possible in indoor areas outside of classrooms between members of staff or visitors (for example, in staffrooms), head teachers will have the discretion to decide whether to ask staff or visitors to wear, or agree to them wearing face coverings in these circumstances. But children in primary school do not need to wear a face covering.

It is vital that face coverings are worn correctly and that clear instructions are provided to staff, children and young people on how to put on, remove, store and dispose of face coverings in all of the circumstances above, to avoid inadvertently increasing the risks of transmission.

Safe wearing of face coverings requires cleaning of hands before and after touching – including to remove or put them on – and the safe storage of them in individual, sealable plastic bags between use. Where a face covering becomes damp, it should not be worn and the face covering should be replaced carefully.

On the basis of current evidence, in light of the mitigating measures education settings are taking, and the negative impact on communication, face coverings will not generally be necessary in the classroom even where social distancing is not possible. There is greater use of the system of controls for minimising risk, including through keeping in small and consistent groups or bubbles, and greater scope for physical distancing by staff within classrooms. Face coverings can have a negative impact on learning and teaching and so their use in the classroom should be avoided.

3 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

It has nothing to do with Corbyn. I’m sick of hearing about him. He is no longer relevant. His mess is being cleared up. We need to move on. 

Haha I'm not getting baited into an argument about Corbyn again, I said Corbynite because I get the sense that you think I'm just attacking Starmer for the sake of it after he kicked him out.

I don't think it's good that Starmer is saying schools should be open as this is all going to shit and I don't think it'll turn out too well for him either. Maybe he'll flip flop as this gets worse or maybe he won't, but he probably lost the support of a lot of teachers today.

You are only mentioning the under 12's, who are exempt not just in schools but wider settings.

Staff, teachers, secondary school and FE pupils have to wear them in communal areas, classroom optional, when the country is in the top tiers(s).

It is against union guidence and the wider applicable law to not allow this.

When schools first went back it was at the discretion, not now, it's enforcable.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You are only mentioning the under 12's, who are exempt not just in schools but wider settings.

Staff, teachers, secondary school and FE pupils have to wear them in communal areas, classroom optional, when the country is in the top tiers(s).

It is against union guidence and the wider applicable law to not allow this.

When schools went back it was at the discretion, not now, it's enforcable.

I haven't seen an official amendment stating enforceable.

My missus and daughter both work in primary schools and the policy of the heads in both schools is no masks which I completely disagree with and have from the very beginning. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, I really hope you're not, I just haven't seen it, but up until half term, (they both open again tomorrow), the policy of both heads was no masks.

12 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Haha I'm not getting baited into an argument about Corbyn again, I said Corbynite because I get the sense that you think I'm just attacking Starmer for the sake of it after he kicked him out.

I don't think it's good that Starmer is saying schools should be open as this is all going to shit and I don't think it'll turn out too well for him either. Maybe he'll flip flop as this gets worse or maybe he won't, but he probably lost the support of a lot of teachers today.

I’m not baiting you on Corbyn. I don’t want to talk about Corbyn. You did. I think your view on this has nothing to do with Corbyn, so we can drop that for sure. 

I disagree with Starmer about schools, I think they should close. But I also see Starmer’s point, that he has been saying for weeks that we need a circuit break and we can do it around the school break. 9 days of break plus a couple of inset days and all it took was a bit of foresight. He makes the point that with proper track and trace, kids need to be in schools because the damage being done to kids who are losing education is actually very damaging. It’s the government that missed the chance to do the right thing. It’s government that have fucked up track and trace. I think schools do need to close but I also see the argument for the remaining open and to balance the risk. The problem I’ve got is that he already solved this problem, in advance, and is now tacking criticism because we are in a shitty place because he wasn’t listened to. It’s the government that’s the issue.