You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Gardiner was boss he treated journalists and tory ministers with a seething contempt. As the saying goes he calls a cunt a cunt. I think the below clip might provide a clue why he was mobbed and it had nothing to do with his ability 

People who treat journalists with visible "seething contempt" are usually not an example of good media operators.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Gardiner was boss he treated journalists and tory ministers with a seething contempt. As the saying goes he calls a cunt a cunt. I think the below clip might provide a clue why he was mobbed and it had nothing to do with his ability 

Where’s my ‘not sure if serious’ meme. This is a clear example of how to alienate people and the media. It will stoke up the radicals who already have their nose in your arsehole but it does nothing to give credibility to people. 

Labour have been utterly fucking horrific at selling the things they believe in. If they can’t convince people that the moral and just things are worth voting for, they’re just terrible at their jobs. British politics needs to stop being about ‘sticking it to the other guy’ and start being about selling the vision to the British public. Inspire somebody to vote for you. Look at the inspiration just then. Corbyn in that video had me fired up and ready to go to bed and give up. 

26 minutes ago, SasaS said:

People who treat journalists with visible "seething contempt" are usually not an example of good media operators.

Oh I dont know, I personally wish Corbyn wouldve taken the old  Saddam Hussein approach when dealing with journalists and party turncoats. Call out their names at the party conference and have them forcibly dragged into the car park and shot. It's been proven to work.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Oh I dont know, I personally wish Corbyn wouldve taken the old  Saddam Hussein approach when dealing with journalists and party turncoats. Call out their names at the party conference and have them forcibly dragged into the car park and shot. It's been proven to work.

It's all about what you can get away with.

19 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

You would think that would be filed under the “bleedin obvious” wouldn’t you

I've seen Johnson treat journalists like utter cunts, sometimes he simply refuses to talk at all. It's not all about bowing down to some spacker from the bbc.

I think a good communicator is able to judge the situation and adapt their approach. Some commentators require kid gloves others need a more stern approach. If someone says something ridiculous then you have to be able to tell them to fuck off, in a professional way. 

For example, when that Emma Barnett cunt was going on about nationalising sausages, that required a ridiculing response, not a nicey-nicey approach.

Tony Blair was very good at knowing which approach to take.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I think a good communicator is able to judge the situation and adapt their approach. Some commentators require kid gloves others need a more stern approach. If someone says something ridiculous then you have to be able to tell them to fuck off, in a professional way. 

For example, when that Emma Barnett cunt was going on about nationalising sausages, that required a ridiculing response, not a nicey-nicey approach.

Tony Blair was very good at knowing which approach to take.

I fully back nationalising sausages. I wouldn't be against it being Labour's flagship policy. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That particular quote was fact checked, he's been ridiculed about it and has not backed down on it. No doubt his 40% base believe it too. 

This is about Trump but relevant in relation to being nice to the media and Johnson's actions, as I stated above.

The populist right seem to have no problem lying and treating the media with contempt, but we have to watch every word and tone. It is almost like they are held to a different standard, I wonder why 

• Upvote 1

I don't think Gardiner did show 'seething contempt' for interviewers in any way, he was usually on top of his brief and made sure he got his point across when they tried to push him in a direction that suited them. The recent cabinet interviews I have seen have been in the main pretty dull, nervous efforts.

45 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

This is about Trump but relevant in relation to being nice to the media and Johnson's actions, as I stated above.

The populist right seem to have no problem lying and treating the media with contempt, but we have to watch every word and tone. It is almost like they are held to a different standard, I wonder why 

It's like with the fallout of Rayner's 'scum' comment, yet Johnson himself has actually put lives in danger with some of his incendiary language towards MPs, as have his acolytes. 

The media pursue low hanging fruit, they remind me a bit of the coppers. If coppers try and break up a fight on a night out, the meathead who gives them loads usually gets given a lift home to their nan's, but if you're polite to them they think 'great stuff, I'll get half my quotas filled for the night with this dickhead', next thing you know you've been breathalized, had your house searched for Madeline McCanne and you've been referred to MI5 for counter-radicalisation training. 

3 hours ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

If he’s the best media operator Labour has, it’s worse than I thought because he’s not a very good media operator. I mean, you just need to look at how he operates in the media to see that. He might well be the best Labour have got, but if he is it’s a travesty and they need new people desperately. If this is the best, it can’t take much more to improve. 

I've watched it NN, it doesnt seem that bad to me, he is trying to articulate a fudged Labour policy which anybody would struggle with while trying to be polite to a very irate guy.

I have watched Gardiner many times and he has usually been excellent , and certainly better than the great majority of the shadow cabinet who are ( Nandy an exception) very weedy and seemingly nervous in their presentation , or Starmer who is usually on top of his brief but would put a glass eye to sleep.

I've read bits of the report, but not all of it. 

Some people are claiming that the bit about political interference in the complaints process has a larger proportion of examples where somebody stepped in to try and get the process accelerated and people dealt with quicker than was happening, rather than interfering to try and get people off or to get them a reduced sanction. 

Is this accurate? 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I've watched it NN, it doesnt seem that bad to me, he is trying to articulate a fudged Labour policy which anybody would struggle with while trying to be polite to a very irate guy.

I have watched Gardiner many times and he has usually been excellent , and certainly better than the great majority of the shadow cabinet who are ( Nandy an exception) very weedy and seemingly nervous in their presentation , or Starmer who is usually on top of his brief but would put a glass eye to sleep.

Like I say, if he's the best there is, it's a problem. I quite like Gardiner, I quite like Corbyn too but that's a different story, but if he's the best Labour has then Labour has an issue. Remember, it's not about those already on board and believe what you believe, it's about convincing others to believe what you believe and that you're the best option for their own future. Of course the approach that Gnasher was advocating for seems great to those who already believers, but it's terrible for those who generally aren't interested in politics, or are but are floating and want to vote for something and somebody they're comfortable with. There's a massive lack of charm and inspiration in British politics. That's a lack of competence. There's a paucity of politicians that can actually sell their brand of politics. I think people are so used to things being adversarial and trying to win an argument with the person they're talking to that they forget that it's actually the onlooker that you're trying to win over, not change the mind and get angry with the opponent. Obama offered a masterclass on this, and there are video complications out there of him doing exactly that. There are more ways to do it, and he had those up his sleeve too, but it's an important tool that's missing. 

For Starmer, who clearly isn't an Obama, it's important that he wins the trust and displays competence to those voters that Labour needs in order to win an election. He is also going to need a team to be built around him that helps with that. His performances in PMQs have generally been very good, but those don't reach many people - who just don't give a fuck about that pantomime - but we've yet to see what he can really bring as that's not been on the cards yet.