You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I hope so. All this fucking bickering is doing my head in. People said it would stop when we started winning things but it's getting worse if anything.

I think most people just want to see our stay back on our perch be a long one rather than a fleeting job, so the focus moves from wanting us to get back on it and being made up we are on it to how do we make sure we stay on it.

As a result ideas like wanting to build from a position of strength, wanting to attract players whilst we are at our most attractive and not wanting to stand still whilst our rivals strengthen are going to circulate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

That’s an exercise that you can do to almost any team Barry. 

Let’s try Bayern:

Boateng - failed at City

Alaba - midfielder at youth level

Pavard - purchased from a relegated team 

Goretzka - Free transfer from a struggling club

Gnabry - failed at Arsenal and Pulis’ West Brom

Perisic - failed at Dortmund

Coutinho - failed at Barcelona

I love Klopp but we have a really good team too e.g., Hendo was very highly rated as a youngster amongst managers and fellow players. United wanted to buy Fabinho and Mané too. 

Well it's easy to do if you pick teams that have just won when previously they were shite, they were ridiculed 12 months ago when we fucked them. Herr Flick has been pretty widely praised from all corners and credited with the turn around in their performances. So you are proving my point - this is what good managers do. They take shite and turn it into quality. 

6 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I was gutted about not signing Werner. I'd had this big conversation with my Osteopath who is German ages ago while he was working on me and he was telling me how good he is, how he is one of the fastest players in the German league and how highly Klopp rates him. 

If the only reason we didn't sign him is because of money then that's a really big problem. It could be other things and there is a legitimate question over whether he could fit into our system. I can't shake the feeling that Klopp probably wanted him though. 

It's been widely reported that it was money. fsg refused to provide the money after covid. 

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

that's not good news. fucking cunts. 

Just being able to buy a player would be nice, like other clubs in the league do. A small squad like ours, most of our players were not that expensive, VVD, Allison and Keita cost big money of course, Coutinho covered a lot of that, how much did our entire defence cost VVD aside. We are told we are super smart with wages by having incentive bonuses but now it seems success has crippled our budget which seems bizarre  you'd think the financial rewards of success and the byproducts of it would cover that. Everything has grown at the club except the transfer budget. Show some bollocks buy what we need and have faith in the much lauded Edwards to recoup what he can. I could gladly not be arsed at all if this was the first dry window ( its not even shut yet ) especially with covid but this is a familiar pattern "we will have a big budget next year" and in my opinion even Klopp has seemed a little off about it. After a 30 year wait we won the league it would be a killer if over caution makes it short lived success. 

Can't help repeating the same shit because there's fuck all else going on.

Wrong thread

It would appear that the excuse of covid for not spending is slowly being exposed by other clubs carrying on as business as usual in the transfer market. I wouldn't mind so much but we signed no one last summer either and going into another season spending close to nothing just doesn't cut it. 

Klopp deserves to be backed after what he's done for this club and its the least these yanks can do as wothout him they'll still have the club bouncing around 7th. 

The only way we have a big budget next summer is if we sell Mo or Sadio. We only seem to spend big when we sell big. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

An excellent tackler and blocker. What the fuck is Pep going to do with that.

He was, to put it kindly, not fantastic last season. Certainly not as good as Chris Smalling as far as Serie A centre-backs go.

In isolation it’s far from a banker, but given that they’ve also signed Ake, they’re in a better position than last year even if one ends up being a bit shit and the other mediocre.

33 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

You wonder if they are trying to keep the books looking in good shape for a potential sale in the near future sometimes

Undoubtedly yes, otherwise everything is just a paper profit.

And the wage bill of over 310 million (last reported) must surely contribute to their thinking. The fans quite rightly complain about the transfer budget, but the wage budget is over 100 million more per season than when Klopp became manager.

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

but the wage budget is over 100 million more per season than when Klopp became manager.

Surely the champions league, extra TV games and sponsorship of successful team covers that. Saved another 250k plus a week on Lallana, Lovren, Clyne all being out the door. 

With FFP looking dead in the water I reckon they'll look to jump ship soon. Or at least get a minority owner who might take full control in a couple of years 

15 minutes ago, M_B said:

Undoubtedly yes, otherwise everything is just a paper profit.

And the wage bill of over 310 million (last reported) must surely contribute to their thinking. The fans quite rightly complain about the transfer budget, but the wage budget is over 100 million more per season than when Klopp became manager.

As a % of our turnover it is not really high at 58%....there are clubs like Everton for example who have a much higher %.

premier-league-accounts-wage-turnover.pn

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well it's easy to do if you pick teams that have just won when previously they were shite, they were ridiculed 12 months ago when we fucked them. Herr Flick has been pretty widely praised from all corners and credited with the turn around in their performances. So you are proving my point - this is what good managers do. They take shite and turn it into quality. 

With all due respect, you’d probably be the only person in the world who would call Bayern’s squad shite and ridiculous. They to lost the winners the previous year, but they made it to the semis the year before. Hansi Flick never managed a top-level side before Bayern this season and he was meant to be a caretaker to be replaced next season.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

As best we can? 

What a shithouse thing to say. If Klopp wants someone then they should make it happen. The man has transformed the entire club for them.

They just talk absolute shite. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They will pay 1/2 of his wages and sell him off next year.

Heard an interesting podcast earlier in the summer about Juve and the way they run the club. All is not well, they have gambled the family silver on Ronaldo and it's meant they have to fill up the squad with freebies. They have also pissed off half the squad by pimping them around Europe for 3 seasons in a row. Suarez is just so predictable and exactly what they don't need.