You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 hours ago, _______________ said:

I can see why they are taking this decision and it comes with risks but you could also say that not doing so would leave the others at higher risk. Chris Witty is infinitely more qualified than most so if he's supporting this you would imagine it was based on a sound medical reasoning. I'm glad I do not have to make those decisions. 

Sorry no, Witty has continually used political reasoning to back up the government.  I'm not saying he doesn't use medical reasoning also, of course he does, but when medical reasoning is clouded by politics it is no longer "sound medical reasoning".

9 minutes ago, Moo said:

Sorry no, Witty has continually used political reasoning to back up the government.  I'm not saying he doesn't use medical reasoning also, of course he does, but when medical reasoning is clouded by politics it is no longer "sound medical reasoning".

Fair enough, I haven't been glued to the propaganda briefings so can only make a comment on what I have seen.

As he has 'continually used political reasoning to back up the government' can you give me a few examples where he has done this, I'm not saying he has not but if there must be loads. I mean if I'm thinking he is using sound medical judgement and you have all that knowledge of him not or it being clouded, I want to know so I can adjust my opinion. 

I thought he was right not to get involved with the Cummings thing, not his job to. Otherwise he would have been bombarded with questions about Corbin, that SNP bint and various celebs and footballers that have decided the rules didn't apply to them. I always thought that Whitty wanted quicker and more stringent action, but as he only advises the government he doesn't get to make the decisions elected officials do. 

58 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Not entirely down to government incompetence.

I'm not so sure about that?

Completely mismanaged return to schools and universities they're in the process of repeating for a 3rd time.

Failed test and trace system outsourced to the private sector.

Relaxing the initial lockdown far too early and then failing to lockdown again far too late.

Spending the summer encouraging us to eat out and insisting everyone should return to their workplace to save Pret.

Failed tiered system invented to placate rabid Tory MP's.

The government would like us to believe that a virus mutating is an unforseen act that couldn't possibly be forseen. If they'd managed the lockdowns effectively rather than becoming a deeply politically motivated event we could be at a much lower base irrespective of the new variant.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, _______________ said:

Fair enough, I haven't been glued to the propaganda briefings so can only make a comment on what I have seen.

As he has 'continually used political reasoning to back up the government' can you give me a few examples where he has done this, I'm not saying he has not but if there must be loads. I mean if I'm thinking he is using sound medical judgement and you have all that knowledge of him not or it being clouded, I want to know so I can adjust my opinion. 

I thought he was right not to get involved with the Cummings thing, not his job to. Otherwise he would have been bombarded with questions about Corbin, that SNP bint and various celebs and footballers that have decided the rules didn't apply to them. I always thought that Whitty wanted quicker and more stringent action, but as he only advises the government he doesn't get to make the decisions elected officials do. 

There will be examples in this thread re Covid if you don't want to look too far, not necessarily loads but significant. 

Ebola is a prior example where politics led but you won't find a lot of information out there as it's nowhere near as big a deal media wise. 

And to say Witty was right to stay out of the Cummings issue is a cop-out, it was a public health issue.  Not whether Cummings should have been sacked or not but whether he was right to go on his travels, that is a public health behavioural science issue and absolutely should have been commented on by the scientists.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

And to say Witty was right to stay out of the Cummings issue is a cop-out, it was a public health issue.  

Spot on and for the media (BBC etc) to keep stating that Witty, Vallance and the others are not now political actors whether by design or accident is now clearly at best naive.

16 minutes ago, Moo said:

There will be examples in this thread re Covid if you don't want to look too far, not necessarily loads but significant. 

Ebola is a prior example where politics led but you won't find a lot of information out there as it's nowhere near as big a deal media wise. 

And to say Witty was right to stay out of the Cummings issue is a cop-out, it was a public health issue.  Not whether Cummings should have been sacked or not but whether he was right to go on his travels, that is a public health behavioural science issue and absolutely should have been commented on by the scientists.

Surely if he 'continually' does it there must be a few quick examples you can help me with. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

My local supermarket had reintroduced the lockdown queues outside on NYE. It was quite busy, but I was still surprised by it. And we're tier 3. I'm guessing in tier 4 where there's only just about supermarkets open, the potential for chaos is really clear anywhere it's not managed. 

WTF?

We're in Tier 1 and we introduced queuing to get in the Co-op back on March, and we never stopped using that system.  10 allowed in at one time.  

9 minutes ago, clangers said:

Spot on and for the media (BBC etc) to keep stating that Witty, Vallance and the others are not now political actors whether by design or accident is now clearly at best naive.

It seems quite obvious to me that Whitty and Vallance would rather suck Johnson's cock and protect their salaries than publicly state that his policies are making matters worse.

A complete lack of honesty and integrity.

They must be Tories.

18 minutes ago, _______________ said:

Surely if he 'continually' does it there must be a few quick examples you can help me with. 

There's a couple in the previous post, even if you want to disregard the Cummings episode.  There's others in the thread.

You might not consider it clear evidence and that's up to you, I highly doubt you will find evidence as it's not really something they'd admit to publicly.  It's entirely your choice of you don't want to believe there is no political considerations for the government's medical officers and scientists.  

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

There's a couple in the previous post, even if you want to disregard the Cummings episode.  There's others in the thread.

You might not consider it clear evidence and that's up to you, I highly doubt you will find evidence as it's not really something they'd admit to publicly.  It's entirely your choice of you don't want to believe there is no political considerations for the government's medical officers and scientists.  

I didn't say that, not going along can often mean you're pushed out of the picture. I still haven't heard anything he's continually done. But as I said I don't watch every single propaganda briefing. 

I do believe that politicians make the decisions, that they will use statistics to lie for them and that they'll twist whatever experts say in order to defend their policies. Whitty and Vallance will be the sacrificial lambs to the slaughter at the end of this while Johnson attempts to turn the raw sewerage of his decisions into a rose garden. For the record, I won't have any sympathy for them because if they had integrity they would surely have walked months ago. 

47 minutes ago, clangers said:

I'm not so sure about that?

Completely mismanaged return to schools and universities they're in the process of repeating for a 3rd time.

Failed test and trace system outsourced to the private sector.

Relaxing the initial lockdown far too early and then failing to lockdown again far too late.

Spending the summer encouraging us to eat out and insisting everyone should return to their workplace to save Pret.

Failed tiered system invented to placate rabid Tory MP's.

The government would like us to believe that a virus mutating is an unforseen act that couldn't possibly be forseen. If they'd managed the lockdowns effectively rather than becoming a deeply politically motivated event we could be at a much lower base irrespective of the new variant.

Entirely was the key word. I know a number of people including myself had been sceptical about the new variant being more transmissible, but it does now seen like this is the case.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

WTF?

We're in Tier 1 and we introduced queuing to get in the Co-op back on March, and we never stopped using that system.  10 allowed in at one time.  

As @MegadriveMan says, it's probably why you're tier 1. You've done that crazy thing of taking it all seriously. From pretty much as soon as lockdown 1 finished and the government cut distancing from 2m to 1m, that was all pretty much thrown out. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

As @MegadriveMan says, it's probably why you're tier 1. You've don't that crazy thing of taking it all seriously. From pretty much as soon as lockdown 1 finished and the government cut distancing from 2m to 1m, that was all pretty much thrown out. 

Yeah it was the same here.

It was taken seriously for about 9 to 10 weeks and then it all started to go back to how it was.

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As @MegadriveMan says, it's probably why you're tier 1. You've done that crazy thing of taking it all seriously. From pretty much as soon as lockdown 1 finished and the government cut distancing from 2m to 1m, that was all pretty much thrown out. 

Yep. Government stopped taking it seriously, so did their voters. People saying that there’s no going back, that it’ll be ignored now whatever are wrong in my opinion - if the gov cracked down, locked down and made the consequences of non-compliance clear and unambiguous, people would follow.

Unfortunately, the Tory government kowtows to the fringe right and its assorted bands of conspiracy nuts, libertarian free-market fuckwads and gutter press magnates, so they won’t ever lockdown like they did in March again, let alone as strictly as they now actually need to thanks to their kowtowing to said extremists.

As with their abysmal, world-trailing response to the global financial crisis, the irrefutable, objective truth of their latest failings is that they have a hard on for executing a poisonous ideology rather than what a situation actually requires.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yep. Government stopped taking it seriously, so did their voters. People saying that there’s no going back, that it’ll be ignored now whatever are wrong in my opinion - if the gov cracked down, locked down and made the consequences of non-compliance clear and unambiguous, people would follow.

Unfortunately, the Tory government kowtows to the fringe right and its assorted bands of conspiracy nuts and libertarian free-market fuckwads, so they won’t ever lockdown like they did in March again, let alone as strictly as they now actually need to.

I reckon the majority of people are done with listening to them. I know I am, because if I see their lips moving , I assume they're lying. I've personally decided to ignore all of their messaging where possible now and I just do what I think is safe. I certainly don't believe this new variant is 70% more infectious than the original one. I just think nobody is obeying any of the rules. People are partying at home, doing whatever they think they can get away with. Sometimes it's like the wild west in the supermarket. And obviously schools helped drive up infection rates and how do you think kids will behave? From the moment they let Dominic Cummings off the hook, in my opinion that was when they lost control of the virus because just not enough people took them seriously enough anymore and it's just slowly but surely got worse with every U turn they make, because their starting point is always making light of the situation. And ultimately when someone is lying all the time, once it is serious, well we all learnt the boy who cried wolf story. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I reckon the majority of people are done with listening to them. I know I am, because if I see their lips moving , I assume they're lying. I've personally decided to ignore all of their messaging where possible now and I just do what I think is safe. I certainly don't believe this new variant is 70% more infectious than the original one. I just think nobody is not obeying any of the rules. People are partying at home, doing whatever they think they can get away with. Sometimes it's like the wild west in the supermarket. And obviously schools helped drive up infection rates and how do you think kids will behave? From the moment they let Dominic Cummings off the hook, in my opinion that was when they lost control of the virus because just not enough people took them seriously enough anymore and it's just slowly but surely got worse with every U turn they make, because their starting point is always making light of the situation. And ultimately when someone is lying all the time, once it is serious, well we all learnt the boy who cried wolf story. 

Well, that is exactly why they’d have to take it seriously in a way they never would. If they closed shops to a greater extent than in March, shut most public transport down for anyone who couldn’t prove they were on their way to work and didn’t do every other thing with a nudge and a wink, they’d go some way to forcing compliance.

For instance, closing schools when infection is especially high is the most obvious no-brainier of all time, but they’re still attempting to fudge it by, err, not closing all primaries, despite the figures showing that they’re one of the very biggest sources of infection.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

What an absolute twat this fella is.

Utter cunt. Then will have the nerve to call people trolls when he gets told to fuck off by those whose relatives have passed away from it. Scummer twat

3 hours ago, scudger99 said:

I've not long had word from a work colleague who walked off a job today in a supermarket in Milton Keynes.  Most of the staff and a lot of customers wandering around with no masks on, and nobody giving a shit enough to deal with it.

It's going to be a long painful winter.

A long painful winter? It will be got by winter we just aren't man enough to admit it. Oh hang on what date is it? 950+ deaths??? Oh.