You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Gomez

Oh Buoy

On 26/12/2023 at 12:26, elvis said:

I like Gomez as a character and a player when he's confident, but he's always been an accident waiting to happen unfortunately. I hope he has a good spell in the team though obviously 

Yeah,this has been his downfall in the past. He tends to make one mistake and follow it with more of them. From the opposite side Konate was all at sea for Arsenal's goal at the weekend but by the end of the game was a consideration for man of the match.

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,this has been his downfall in the past. He tends to make one mistake and follow it with more of them. From the opposite side Konate was all at sea for Arsenal's goal at the weekend but by the end of the game was a consideration for man of the match.

I also thought konate was immense 

On 23/12/2023 at 20:36, Elite said:

Much better full back than centreback.

Defo, which is mad as I used to moan seeing him at right back!

Hes quality there now though and had developed into being just as useful on the left. Great athleticism and confident enough to get forward. Doesn’t offer the supply that Robbo and Trent do from there, but neither does Trent really in his new role.

We definitely seem better balanced when he plays at right back for me. 

33 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The joint top assisting defenders of the last 30 years; it's no disgrace to fall short of that standard.

Yeah, for sure mate. Wasn’t a dig at him, just a modicum of balance more than anything.

Hes been unreal this season and I would be starting him at right back as first choice if we had a full fit squad. Trent I would be starting in midfield 

17 hours ago, Curly said:

Yeah, for sure mate. Wasn’t a dig at him, just a modicum of balance more than anything.

Hes been unreal this season and I would be starting him at right back as first choice if we had a full fit squad. Trent I would be starting in midfield 

I dont think Trent is a midfielder though. His best work is from that hybrid RB position. Problem is that his defending at RB is very mixed. In Trents defence though,having Mo in front of him doesnt allow for too much support.

If we ever decide to move Trent into the middle and play Gomez right back full time, he could become the best in the league given the drop off we've seen from Trippier and James.

He's been fucking brilliant this season, and he's also been good at left back. The way he's transformed the attacking side of his game is massive credit to him. He has far fewer brain farts at full back too. Massively important player for us.

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, dave u said:

If we ever decide to move Trent into the middle and play Gomez right back full time, he could become the best in the league given the drop off we've seen from Trippier and James.

He's been fucking brilliant this season, and he's also been good at left back. The way he's transformed the attacking side of his game is massive credit to him. He has far fewer brain farts at full back too. Massively important player for us.

Apart from that spell against Wolves where Neto gave him a torrid time, he's been outstanding both going forward and defensively. He's sorted out his positional play as well - he always used to be the man playing everyone onside; not this season. I've probably been one of his harshest critics in the past, but I'm delighted at the way he's turned it around. I'd have him at right back in a heart beat.

• Upvote 1

He has been good at full back. Don't really want to see him at CB anymore. He never recovered his form in that position but on the wing he can still really get up and down, despite the injuries.

It also gives us more size when he plays there and he's our shortest CB, so we can also use a taller player there, and be even bigger.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I dont think Trent is a midfielder though. His best work is from that hybrid RB position. Problem is that his defending at RB is very mixed. In Trents defence though,having Mo in front of him doesnt allow for too much support.

Maybe so mate, but he doesn’t do any work from full back in that respect any more really. He rarely gets on the overlap or offers width - he does most of his creatives stuff in the middle.

I really feel that the games we’ve had Gomez at right back, the team has looked so much more balanced - especially in defence and midfield.

Thats a bit harsh on Mo that as well - he isn’t shy at chasing and tracking back - just not set up to demand it of him

11 hours ago, dave u said:

Dave, come on, Christmas is getting you a little over excited there. 

Gomez has had a great season in the opportunities he's had. But he hasn't started 3 games on the run for years in my memory. As a consequence, sides aren't preparing for him. He's been a brilliant wild card this season. Before we start claiming him to be the best in the league (in front of Kyle walker?) , can he just be good enough to be in our best XI and see if his fitness can back it up? Starting to claim he can be the best in the league is almost like when rashford had a few good weeks last year and being claimed as the future of rock and roll. 

We just need to give the lad some time to become a regular in our team before decorating him as some modern day Stevie Nicol. He's had a cracking season so far, after about 3 shit ones. 

8 hours ago, janmolby said:

Class again tonight, think he actually looks better on the left than the right.

He was superb as a left back under Rodgers in a very average team of the time. Injuries then took their toll. I think now there is so much competition that it seems to have brought the best out of him and he views this as a 'last chance saloon.' Whatever he is doing is working.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/12/2023 at 13:52, 3 Stacks said:

He has been good at full back. Don't really want to see him at CB anymore. He never recovered his form in that position but on the wing he can still really get up and down, despite the injuries.

It also gives us more size when he plays there and he's our shortest CB, so we can also use a taller player there, and be even bigger.

I think as 4th choice he’s more than fine, last season he was abysmal but think he’s played at least 2/3 games at cb early in the season and looked fine

On 25/12/2023 at 23:22, an tha said:

Odds will have shortened for certain

It is quite something he has never scored though - you'd just think even when playing centre half he'd get on end of a corner...

I reckon he scores this season though - deffo.

To be fair, he didn't normally go up for corners,  even when playing CB