You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Texas shooting

Rico1304

Guest Pistonbroke

Suspected gunman named by US media

ABC News, citing law enforcement sources, have named the suspected gunman as 26-year-old white male Devin Kelley from New Braunfels, Texas.

Police have reportedly searched his home for explosives.

It'll fall on deaf ears like.......

Horror, heartbreak, shame. Prayers are important but insufficient. After another unspeakable tragedy, Congress must act - or be complicit.

1:08 PM - 5 Nov 2017

If we continue at the rate of one a fortnight or near enough, something will have to happen.  Won't it?

18 and a half years and several governments since Columbine, and not one fucking reaction from any of them.

Don't bank on it.

No, I wouldn't be putting money on it.

But fuck me, that fucking US Constitution may as well be written in blood.

And that's coming from the position where these mass shootings represent about 1% of gun deaths in the US.

You could change the gun laws in this country tomorrow and it would not improve (in fact it would probably make people even more fervent in their "collecting").

There are hundreds of millions of firearms in circulation already. Not millions - hundreds of millions. I believe there are currently more guns in the US than people.

Terrible situation, again. Heartbreaking for the poor people who were just going about their business. The answer is quite simple to Europeans, who generally would give up guns for the greater good of the country. For Americans there is something deep-seated culturally, not for everyone, but a lot of people, and I don’t see anything changing any time soon. They may enact laws to stop converting semi automatic weapons into the sort of capability that an automatic weapon has, and they may even ban assault style weapons, but it won’t really change the overall tragedy that unfolds every day.

Proper background checks and closing loopholes like buying online or at gun shows will help, but only a little. Realistically that’s the best chance of making some sort of impact on the madness.

I can’t help but think about my own situation in light of what happened today. The pastor was out of town but his 14 year old daughter was one of the ones killed. As it happens my own 14 year old daughter helps at our church. She sings on stage in the band, and even though I say so myself, she has a great voice and it’s lovely for the whole church, young and old alike. Some of the little kids turn up early to watch them practice, and she is very much a role model to some kids a few years younger.

I admit I thought of her and shed a tear at the brokenness of the world as I thought of that poor girl the same age in Texas who was shot dead, along with all the others.

• Upvote 4

G Richards, on 06 Nov 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Our board meeting tomorrow night already had security on the agenda. We have a police officer coming in (one of the congregants) to consult and advise. It was already on the agenda, but in light of today’s madness, the issue of security will obviously take on a new feel.

It's crazy isn't it? That a church has to legitimately think about whether someone is going to come and murder their parishioners with a semi-automatic weapon.

Do you ever think about leaving and moving back to the UK?

Yes, sometimes. Tricky conundrum as Mrs G is from here and we live near to her family. You never say never though, but I suspect now that kids are fully ingrained in the school system here we might be here for the duration. Where we live is a nice place and I’m thankful for lots of things, but there are some cultural things, such as the whole gun issue in America, that just seem like madness to me.

When is America going to realise they've got a domestic terrorism issue here? Crazy white men are being inspired by the political climate to join the lone wolf club.

God didn't stop this guy in one of his own houses so sending one's prayers is a bit fucking late. The NRA's political lobbying lets this situation happen again and again. If the mass killing of children at Sandy Hook didn't get America to stop and look at itself then 27 people being killed last night in a church isn't going to do it either.

Give it a few weeks and there'll be another thread along the same lines on here. A white guy has 'gone crazy' and shot shit up, obviously inspired by nothing and being a lone wolf.

Brown people should be happy that they're denied entry to the US, one's life chances are greatly enhanced by the looks of it.

https://splinternews.com/texas-attorney-general-offers-worst-possible-response-t-1820165089?rev=1509931176388&utm_campaign=socialflow_fusion_facebook&utm_source=fusion_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Haha it had to happen sooner or later after this mass murder. The Texan AG has said people should carry concealed guns to prevent this kind of incident from happening again.

• Upvote 1

https://splinternews.com/texas-attorney-general-offers-worst-possible-response-t-1820165089?rev=1509931176388&utm_campaign=socialflow_fusion_facebook&utm_source=fusion_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Haha it had to happen sooner or later after this mass murder. The Texan AG has said people should carry concealed guns to prevent this kind of incident from happening again.

Its infuriating how fucking predictable these idiots are. 

As I said in my previous post, there's an inevitability to it all. This is a country where people aspire to be Homer Simpson.

As Trump told the NRA, they "have a true friend and champion in the White House." He's already spinning that this deranged individual, who had a lot of problems, was prevented from killing more people by a good guy with a gun.

They're getting their money's worth for the $21 million donations to the Trump campaign.