You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

43 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Can't wait till this waste of a wage is gone, he really hampered us in getting over the line in big competitions and didn't really strengthen the squad, which given his outlay in transfer fee and wages is very poor.

I remembered watching him in a Leipzig game in a bar in Berlin and thinking ' this lad is tiny, not particularly mobile and a bit of a passenger, he'll be terrible in our league', then the entire fanbase started saying he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and all the Anglo-Deutsch journalists, who fill the obligatory bundesliga slots on podcasts, said he was better than Lothar Matthäus, so I assumed I'd caught him on an off day. Unfortunately not.

I also remember watching a Leipzig game or two when Konate was playing and barely noticing him other than his name on the teamsheet. But since he came here I think he's looking like a bargain. You win some,etc.

36 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I also remember watching a Leipzig game or two when Konate was playing and barely noticing him other than his name on the teamsheet. But since he came here I think he's looking like a bargain. You win some,etc.

Hard not to notice Konate throwing in a complete Lovren every second game.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, alles ist gut said:

Maybe Elon should sign him?

Stick the sky rocket on his right foot and success will be inevitable. It’d probably land in Dartford.

Best Keita story ever....

When looking back over the midfielder’s Anfield career, The Athletic reported how it took a long time for the midfielder to come out of his shell at Liverpool, with the language barrier said to be a ‘recurring problem’.

They would claim: “In early 2020, Mane was having breakfast with Keita at Melwood when one of the staff came over to inform the midfielder they were going to step up his rehab that morning with a light jog around the training field. Much to Mane’s amusement, Keita replied: 'Yeah, yeah, I like eggs.'

“There was another occasion when medical staff were chasing up scan results only to learn that he hadn’t been scanned at all after misunderstanding the instructions he had been given. A staff member returned to the private hospital with him.

From this article:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/darwin-nunez-avoid-liverpool-problems-26998348?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Not a surprise when you get a failure of a transfer like we had with him, that he didn't take much seriously. 

It's weird when you get players like him, who I presume came from nothing and they lifted and seperated from their difficult surroundings to make it out against all odds but then you hear stuff like that and it's like when did they get so complacent?

The most frustrating thing is that we must have realised fairly early on that we'd made a major blunder with his signing, yet still kept him for the duration of his contract.

We should have just cut our losses after a year or two and got someone else in.

I don't understand this strategy of keeping players like him around hoping that they come good. I'm struggling to think of any players that have not looked great after their first two seasons but then turned in to world beaters.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

The most frustrating thing is that we must have realised fairly early on that we'd made a major blunder with his signing, yet still kept him for the duration of his contract.

I hear you, but there's always the Lucas factor.  Lucas stunk the place out for years then all of a sudden became a fantastic asset*.

We always cling to hope.  In this case it was to our detriment.  Jurgen has done this more than once.  You take the rough with the smooth - you simply can't get every call right.

* the other Lucas factor is that words like "fantastic" and "asset" should never been seen within the vicinity of his name.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

We should have just cut our losses after a year or two and got someone else in.

I don't understand this strategy of keeping players like him around hoping that they come good. I'm struggling to think of any players that have not looked great after their first two seasons but then turned in to world beaters.

I would like to think we fucked keita and chamberlain because of COVID, which that summer after winning the league and certainly the year after, was the time to get rid and we just made some poor choices rather than keeping shit players was a strategy. Some of the ones that go on bosmans kind of make sense to some extent, the players have powers and sometimes the maths just make sense. Can and Gini spring to mind where we payed them a lower wage when they arrived but we wouldn't offer the mega bucks offered elsewhere, but at the same time, keeping them was cheaper than replacing them while we had a player who exceeded the salary we were paying them. 

But Keita especially has never made any sense - putting his injuries aside, from as early as his 2nd or 3rd game here you could see he was petrified of being tackled and hurt and his aim was to get out in on piece in every match. For me when that didn't improve inside a year and you add it to his inability to handle the pain of minor injuries, I don't get why you don't just get rid. 

On 22/05/2023 at 09:12, Section_31 said:

He's a gobshite, obvious he's been feigning injury since he decided he was off. Wage thief.

Up there with Ince, Carroll, Leonardsen, Koncheski and Cisse in my fucking twatty bastard LFC all time XI.

Cisse? How come? I liked big Djib

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He spat at people, knocked his wife around, and was shite. Other than that...

Did he? Fucking hell - didn’t know the spitting and wife things. How did those pass me by?? I’ll have a Google now.

I don’t think he was shite either. Not the goal machine / centre forward we wanted or needed, but he gave us very solid goal returns while here, and in a new role too.

But yeah - all moot points when you look at the bits above!

Edit - just seen his stats now and they are shite. What is going on with me? I completely recreated his career here somehow!

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He spat at people, knocked his wife around, and was shite. Other than that...

I can’t find anything about the spitting and wife beating stuff mate. I’m all over the place here 

10 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I think Section's thinking of Diouf. 

Fucking hell you're right on the spitting. Is that a bit racist of me? 

I'm sure cisse smacked his wife though, wasn't she a hairdresser or something? Maybe it's been expunged or some shit.