You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Have never understood what he adds to the side at all. He's like a really shit Patrick Berger. Belts the ball from outside the box, usually misses, no consistency at all, heart sinks when I see his name on the teamsheet. 

I don't know if there's enough ammo to say he's a cunt, but I sort of get what some are saying, he comes across as a noughties footballer, not the focussed, professional and somewhat boring - in a good way - players that thankfully fill our squad and the better sides these days.

Some pace in midfield and a British passport. That's about it mate.

I like him.

He's way down my pecking order for a place in the team, but I don't have it in me to dislike Ox.

As for his body language last night, I agree it didn't look good but that was a few seconds out of 90 minutes. Without seeing what he was like for the rest of the game I don't think it's fair to judge. The clip we saw did grab my attention too though as he did look completely disinterested.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Have never understood what he adds to the side at all. He's like a really shit Patrick Berger. Belts the ball from outside the box, usually misses, no consistency at all, heart sinks when I see his name on the teamsheet. 

I don't know if there's enough ammo to say he's a cunt, but I sort of get what some are saying, he comes across as a noughties footballer, not the focussed, professional and somewhat boring - in a good way - players that thankfully fill our squad and the better sides these days.

It used to be clear. His first season, he was decisive in midfield, had a great relationship with Salah, pace, power, ability to win the ball high, dangerous in transitions, everything. He also contributed a lot as a utility player the league title season. Scored 8 goals that season.

But yes, now, it's over. 

I thought when we bought him he was a waste of time and money but between the November and the April when he injured his knee I thought he was really good and played his best football for us, and probably better than whenever I saw him for Arsenal. He chipped in with a few goals in the title season as well. 

Injuries have destroyed any momentum he ever had and this season he seems deflated and resigned to moving on as he regularly gets subbed or just has 20 minutes here and there. 

• Upvote 1

He was amazing in the first season. Gave us that drive and goal threat from midfield we’ve since lacked. He never really recovered properly mentally and physically IMO, he’s lost that yard of pace that helped burst through a packed midfield. He’s  also a confidence player. He needs a run of games to pick up and maintain his form, and we aren’t in a position to give him that. Like Curtis Jones he needs to be somewhere next season when he gets to play every week, but the main difference is he doesn’t have age on his side, so it’s sayonara I’m afraid.

• Upvote 2

Personally always thought he is mediocre.

Mediocre and to make it worse unreliable.

He has never really nailed down a best position in his career and is a very ordinary jack of all trades master of none sort.

His level is below, quite a bit below where we are now and where we want to be.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I'm working class, you arrogant little cunt. Chav is very specific and is quite distcinct.

Yes, very specifically used to denigrate a portion of the working class left behind by the worst excesses of capitalism's forever game of fuck the poor.

Chav is a very distinct construct to drive a divide between those being fucked over and those being fucked over marginally less and anyone who buys into that fucking nonsense should give their head a wobble and have a bit of a think about which side they're on?

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, dave u said:

I like him.

He's way down my pecking order for a place in the team, but I don't have it in me to dislike Ox.

As for his body language last night, I agree it didn't look good but that was a few seconds out of 90 minutes. Without seeing what he was like for the rest of the game I don't think it's fair to judge. The clip we saw did grab my attention too though as he did look completely disinterested.

I agree, and I think he played well the last time he featured and was unlucky some of his passes didn't work because Jota was on the backfoot.  

There's a chance he makes a big contribution in a key game between now and season end. 

Have never understand the contempt some of our fans hold him in. Clearly a talented player, with a very good attitude. He’s been very unlucky with injuries and just hasn’t been able to forge a consistent run of games.

He’s contributed some important moments down the years and genuinely seems like a good lad.

Wish him the best with his next move, needs regular football.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Have never understand the contempt some of our fans hold him in. Clearly a talented player, with a very good attitude. He’s been very unlucky with injuries and just hasn’t been able to forge a consistent run of games.

He’s contributed some important moments down the years and genuinely seems like a good lad.

Wish him the best with his next move, needs regular football.

The animosity is more aimed at his online presence and having a bit of a moody attitude. There are much less technically talented players who simply get on with it and accept their role. Tsimikas seems a pleasant guy for example,but accepts Robbo will always be ahead of him. He's just one example but the squad is filled with like minded pros,Origi was another. He needs to realise how lucky he's been by not getting jettisoned before and just accept it as what it will be. Get your head down and work and you might get more chances.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Strontium said:

Some of the criticism he gets is way over the top. Anyone would think he was some sort of Joe Colesque piss-taking malingerer rather than an honest professional whose career is in the doldrums.

Completely agree. The fact he is one of our supposed issues just shows how good we are. 

Missed over a thousand days injured for us and Arsenal at 28, pretty bad luck I will admit.

Never wanted him, never have and honest enough to admit it. His short spell before injury was good but that was it, we are well above his level and have been for a few seasons.

The manager clearly does not trust him and he needs to go. 

20 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Maybe in a chavvy 'do you want fries with that' sort of way but blimey let's not get carried away.

Calling someone an arrogant cunt is a bit chavvy in a ‘do you want fries with that’ sort of way.