Paco

Virgil Van Dijk

Err how about no. Seriously, we're that desperate now we have fans considering jonny f*cking Evans...

I know he's a bit older now than when we first looked at him, but if he can do a job at centre back I'd seriously even consider chucking in a late bid for Snoogy Doogy at this point.

Jonno Evans been KILLING it at West Brom. Give the lad another chance at a big club. 

Correct. He is a decent bloody defender FFS, disciplined, vocal and we are beggars that cant be choosers...maybe not the right sounding name...unlike the great Dejan or bloody Sakho...we could do a lot bloody worse...in fact we have already!

I'm not buying into the 'no deal' thing until later tonight.

There will be plenty of bullshit today, loads of it, people can't wait to announce it's been scuppered and will jump the gun all day.

At the end of the day, he's not even training with the first team.  It;'s totally different to Coutinho, he wasn't made to train on his own. 

Jonno Evans been KILLING it at West Brom. Give the lad another chance at a big club.

Its called finding his level. Seriously, Jonny f*cking Evans. Get your head checked.

If we can't get VVD or an alternative, Klopp should just swallow his pride and bring Sakho back in. Going into this season with 3 CBs and Joe Gomez who has played a grand sum of a game and a half there for us is utter lunacy from Klopp.

• Upvote 1

You don't need a decent defence to win things, just score one more than the opposition.

Think Shankly said that, or Paisley, might have been Rinus Michels ?

Keegan (but doing a risible Shankly impression) .

Jonny Evans is far better than he gets credit for on here, which is why he played for Man United and has been bid for by other top 6 sides. He's better than Lovren for a start. I wouldn't sign him, mind you

It's ok folks, our defence is fine.  Ignore everything you've seen the last four years, it didn't actually happen.  

You see this is the fallacy of you and others argument; that signing van Dijk is the panacea to all our defensive troubles. It's not. It's like carragher said, even with franco baresi there we'd leak goals the way we play.

van Dijk isnt going to change the goals conceeded.

Jonny Evans is far better than he gets credit for on here, which is why he played for Man United and has been bid for by other top 6 sides. He's better than Lovren for a start. I wouldn't sign him, mind you

I have low self respect and would sign Evans in a heartbeat if there's no-one else coming in. Different class to Lovren

We are by far the worst conceding off set pieces - I think he would have an immediate effect there.

And if he doesnt, I suppose others will say he's shit.

Jonny Evans is not better than Lovren. When will people learn that defenders playing for these ale house teams with their backs to wall all game just repeatedly heading the ball away will not translate to dealing with one on ones when the full back goes up the pitch. He's turgid. He might head a few more corners away but he would get caught out a lot more and doesn't have anywhere near the level of distribution of Lovren or Matip.

If a bid goes in for Virgil Van Dijk today then Southampton will reject it. (SkySports)

Virgil Van Dijk is training at Southampton's training ground today. By himself again. (SkySports)