You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul Stewart - abused by football coach

HolyHank

It's incredible (and gratifying) that once someone has come forward and spoken up the gates seem to open up. Fair play to Andy Woodward for stepping up and breaking the story and the best of luck to them all. For me, something doesn't smell quite right that Dario Gradi (who seems to be a very decent man and apparently held in high regard in the game, particularly so, in the youth development aspect) was there for 30 years never got a whiff of what was going on under his nose. You get the feeling that there is a lot more mileage in this story once a credible investigative journalist gets their teeth into it.

Was this all going on at Crewe during Gradi's reign?

When I was doing a fair bit of coaching and my coaching badges in the mid to late 1990s it was common knowledge between coaches that something very dodgy was going on. The Crewe coach mentioned by the abused lad who revealed all about his time at Crewe was known as a bogeyman type figure back then.

• Upvote 1

Sad business all this. Feel sorry for Paul Stewart. Hopefully by opening up he will see his family embrace and understand him that bit more, and his personal life find some sort of healing. As for the wider ramifications, speaking up can only be a good thing. 

We should be cautious about naming names before an investigation and proper due process takes place. But at this early stage it is starting to feel like this will be much bigger than a localized thing with one or two rogue coaches. Such a shame, but the truth will out, eventually. When it does one hopes justice will be forthcoming swiftly thereafter, even if it's hard to fathom what can be done to even begin to repair things for the victims. 

• Upvote 1

It's incredible (and gratifying) that once someone has come forward and spoken up the gates seem to open up. Fair play to Andy Woodward for stepping up and breaking the story and the best of luck to them all. For me, something doesn't smell quite right that Dario Gradi (who seems to be a very decent man and apparently held in high regard in the game, particularly so, in the youth development aspect) was there for 30 years never got a whiff of what was going on under his nose. You get the feeling that there is a lot more mileage in this story once a credible investigative journalist gets their teeth into it.

I was talking to a mate about this the other day and he was saying that a friend of his was convinced that Gradi was involved. The lad had played at Crewe as a kid and said it was common practice for people to stay at Gradi's.

He had stayed one night and Gradi had been trying to convince him to stay up and watch the telly late or something along those lines and he'd refused and ended up going to bed. According to the lad Gradi had more or less cold shouldered him the next day. All word of mouth and whatnot but it will be interesting to see if anything does come out.

When I was doing a fair bit of coaching and my coaching badges in the mid to late 1990s it was common knowledge between coaches that something very dodgy was going on. The Crewe coach mentioned by the abused lad who revealed all about his time at Crewe was known as a bogeyman type figure back then.

Vlad, genuine question: Given the time scale quoted by the people who have come forward and your own experience as a coach at the time, wasn't this fucker ever called to account and given a good hiding by a colleague in the game or a family member of one of the victims?

Fuck me. Makes you realise that when we call the players cunts etc we have no idea what the fuck is going on, ever.

I'll continue to call them cunts on the off chance they haven't been abused. 

This is a really horrible story though.  You can have nothing but gut wrenching sympathy for those who've suffered.  

• Upvote 4

How the hell did he have a pro career in football after what happened too him ? Poor lad. Played for us, Citeh and Spurs didn't he. His head must of been all over the place.

Yep. I always thought he was mentally weak when in fact he was the exact opposite just in getting out of bed every day, never mind playing professional football.