You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Anyone who is not a vegetarian is a murdering lowlife.

Forget all that nonsense about iron supplements etc as well. They are not needed. The vegetarian diet is much healthier than a murder food diet.

So go veggie there is no cruelty, its healthier and much better for the environment

As a Veggie, that is one fucking stupid statement.

If someone wants to eat meat, that's fine, its their choice.

Only reason im a Veggie is because i couldn't kill the animal, therefore I don't believe i should eat it, 

As a Veggie, that is one fucking stupid statement.

If someone wants to eat meat, that's fine, its their choice.

Only reason im a Veggie is because i couldn't kill the animal, therefore I don't believe i should eat it,

And what about the free choice of the animal having its brains caved in and the flesh ripped from its body?

Why should a person be free to sponsor that?

In a century or less we will look back on how we treated animals as no less than genocide and this time period will be seen as the worst of it

• Upvote 1

And what about the free choice of the animal having its brains caved in and the flesh ripped from its body?

In a century or less we will look back on how we treated animals as no less than genocide and this time period will be seen as the worst of it

In a century or less we'll still be thinking

54070f90f63099217001acde.jpg

Mmmmmmm meat.

105343.jpg

Have you canvassed the opinion of all the carnivorous creatures on the planet? I might be wrong but I doubt they give a shit about the free choice of the animal they're about to tear limb from limb.

Fucking abysmal post that - comparing the slaughter of animals to genocide - it's not even close. 

I mean, you don't eat victims of genocide with fava beans and a nice Chianti, do you?

Moron.

Look at your teeth.  It took millions of years to evolve them.  Nobody's giving that up in a century.

Agricultural animal welfare standards are usually shameful and need to be improved, but to compare it with genocide is ridiculous on too many levels to argue: instead, I'll just point at you and laugh.

(More to the point, in a century or less, we'll look back on how many species have gone extinct through environmental degradation and habitat destruction - and we probably won't blame Champ for having a lamb shank.)

She's ok, quite cute I suppose but has a 'tache. I'm relieved that I don't fancy her as that would have been an interesting scenario while my wife is awaiting her visa for the next couple of months in ukraine. As for my question, I worded it badly. She can cook for herself, I was more interested in accommodating her needs- using a separate chopping board for cheese, stuff like that

The problem with veganism, or veggie extremism as I like to call it, is that while it's all very well in theory, in practice it's not very feasible.

To take one example, steel and rubber often use animal fats in their creation. So if your vegan friend is being at all consistent, then she'd better not travel in a vehicle for the rest of her life. Or, indeed, eat anything that was transported to a store in a vehicle. And don't even get me started on what a thresher does to the animals that live within crop fields.

So you see it is pretty much impossible to exist on this planet without causing harm to some animal anywhere. By all means eat less animals, but shunning animal by-products is over-egging the pudding - and without using eggs, which is some feat.

• Upvote 1

The problem with veganism, or veggie extremism as I like to call it, is that while it's all very well in theory, in practice it's not very feasible.

To take one example, steel and rubber often use animal fats in their creation. So if your vegan friend is being at all consistent, then she'd better not travel in a vehicle for the rest of her life. Or, indeed, eat anything that was transported to a store in a vehicle. And don't even get me started on what a thresher does to the animals that live within crop fields.

So you see it is pretty much impossible to exist on this planet without causing harm to some animal anywhere. By all means eat less animals, but shunning animal by-products is over-egging the pudding - and without using eggs, which is some feat.

If you read through the thread there are a number of inconsistencies meaters like to point out in the vegetarian diet and it sounds like you are doing the same about vegans. Just because someone calls themselves a Vegetarian or a Vegan, they can interpret it how they wish and don't have to fit into what your idea of a Vegan should be. 

I'm never going to be a vegan as I love cheese and dairy too much, but I am impressed by the huge inconveniences and difficulties Vegans have to overcome to maintain their diet, as you know being a vegetarian is not without it's difficulties at times and it must be 10 times harder being a Vegan.

If I can look back at my life and think that I've caused a little less suffering, misery and devastation in this world by not eating meat, then surely that's a good thing.

I agree really.

But then I start to think is it ok to eat fish cos they don't have any feelings?  What about plants?  Why do we treat something with legs a little bit differently?  Or yeast that are really little organisms and used to make bread and beer and things?

Even if you agree that eating animals is wronger than eating plants and yeast and whatnot - where does that morally leave you if you have a pet?  You have deliberately supported an animal that is eating other animals - unless you make your dog, cat or goldfish a veggie too.  How about lions?  Should we assassinate them all for the greater good of gnus?

Also intense farming has taken up loads of land that used to be free for animals to roam on - if you eat a lot of vegetables you are stopping a bird or rabbit from it's natural habitat - leading to a poorer, earlier death for many creatures .

Then I start to think mmm bacon, roast lamb, perfectly cooked steak. 

Most domesticated pets are carnivorous and therefore get sick on a Vegetarian diet so there isn't the same choice as there is with humans who can survive very healthily on this diet. Also Pet food tends to be made with off cuts of meat that isn't deemed fit for human consumption, so it is making better use of the animal, reducing waste.

I don't have an issue with Animals killing each other, it's hard wired into them, whereas humans are going the other way buying meat from shops and not undertaking the process of slaughter.

At this point the "it's natural to eat meat" argument tends to get brought up as a justification, pointing to teeth shape and what not. Dolphins "naturally" gang rape, doesn't make it right does it?

Intensive farming is the work of meat eaters, so it seems pretty harsh to blame veggies for going round eating all the rabbits food!