You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin Samuel compares Luis Suarez to a treasonous anti-Semite:

And the days are not full enough And the nights are not full enough And life slips by like a field mouse. Not shaking the grass. Ezra Pound wrote that. Remarkable, isn't it?

'Pound is more responsible for the 20th century revolution in poetry than any other individual,' said TS Eliot, and he would know. So here's one of his lesser known works.

'You let in the Jew and the Jew rotted your empire, and you yourselves out-jewed the Jew. And the big Jew has rotted every nation he has wormed into.' Pound said that in a pro-fascist radio broadcast in March 1942. He said plenty of other stuff, too, and was arrested for treason after the war.

Later, Pound renounced his anti-Semitism in public, but recollections of the private individual tell a different story. He would refer to people he disliked as Jews, and refuse to talk to psychiatrists with Jewish names.

He really wasn't a nice guy. Doesn't make Eliot wrong, though. Doesn't make the depth of emotional meaning conveyed in the sparse four lines of And the days are not full enough - that's the whole poem up there, by the way - any less astonishing. Same with Philip Larkin.

'I can hear fat Caribbean germs pattering after me in the Underground,' he wrote, disgusted, to Kingsley Amis on a visit to London. Then again, Larkin was disgusted by a lot of things; by himself, often enough. For Larkin in excelsis, however, read An Arundel Tomb. 'What will survive of us is love.'

We could go on. Through Chuck Berry to Miles Davis or Michael Jackson. We separate the man from his art. But not in football. In football, we want it all. Beauty and the blameless life. We can accept that poets, artists, musicians or writers can be despicable creatures redeemed by their work, but from our footballers we demand the exalted physicality of an athlete and the immaculate morality of an angel.

So could Luis Suarez be the Footballer of the Year this season? Of course not. Should Luis Suarez be the Footballer of the Year this season? Well, who else have you got?

This is a crude calculation as it presumes no other player could have scored Suarez's goals, but the difference he has made to Liverpool this season equates to seven league points and, potentially, a place in the Europa League.

Goals from Suarez have changed Liverpool's dividend on seven occasions. He has been the difference between victory and a draw with Norwich City and a draw and a defeat against Manchester City, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle United and Chelsea.

Without his goal at Anfield, the Europa League qualifier with Hearts would have gone into extra time. And in this season's Premier League, seven points is currently separating Liverpool and a place in the bottom three.

True, if Suarez had not been in the team, somebody else would have been and that somebody might have scored, too. So this isn't exact science.

Nobody can accurately evaluate Suarez's worth to Liverpool this season but, ball-park, seven points sounds about right. Maybe more. Is there any footballer in the country more influential?

Last week, Jamie Carragher compared Suarez to Lionel Messi at Barcelona and Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid. Indeed, he placed him higher, because Suarez is not playing in a great team. But Footballer of the Year? No chance.

This is bogeyman Suarez, remember, verbal debaser of Patrice Evra, alleged diver, alleged stamper, the man English football loves to hate and boo, even during the feelgood Olympic Games this summer when just completing the course got a standing ovation.

How can he sway a vote of journalists, some of whom believe their award winner must stand out as a role model, as much as a footballer? How could he earn the votes of players, some of whom are black, ethically-minded or represent Manchester United? Could you vote for him? No. Could I? It would be very, very hard.

A vote for Suarez would appear to send out the message that racism doesn't matter. Yet I'd have no hesitation in referring to Larkin as our greatest modern poet; no agonising over love for the music of the wife-beating Ike Turner either.

Maybe by the end of the season the Suarez dilemma will no longer exist. Different players go through purple patches at various times - Juan Mata was brilliant for Chelsea as Roberto Di Matteo's side topped the table early on - but few have been as consistent as Suarez, with no sign of relenting.

Left to fend for himself by an almost wantonly negligent series of executive choices in the transfer market, he has prevented Liverpool entering freefall. And he is not even a conventional striker.

If Liverpool had acted with coherence this summer, Suarez would be playing beside a prolific goalscorer, setting up as many as he scores, the burden on his shoulders relieved. For Uruguay, he most regularly played alongside Diego Forlan or Sebastian Abreu. These days Edinson Cavani is his regular foil. The idea of him leading a line unaccompanied would baffle his national coach, Oscar Tabarez.

What he is doing at Liverpool is far removed from his comfort zone. And yet he is this season's peak performer: top scorer in the Premier League with two more goals than Robin van Persie and top scorer of any Premier League player in all club competitions, again two more than Van Persie.

The difference is, Van Persie has Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck and Javier Hernandez to take a load off, Suarez is in virtual isolation.

Carragher also placed Suarez alongside Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen and Fernando Torres among recent goalscorers at Liverpool, but in essence he is more like Steven Gerrard or Carragher himself, in his ability to influence matches sometimes with sheer will.

Yet, imagine if he was the Footballer of the Year. There would be uproar, protests, arguments, quite probably resignations. A breakaway black union without doubt, if he won the PFA vote, a very awkward few weeks for representatives of the media if he topped any poll of journalists.

An unrepentant horror as an example to the next generation, it would be fiendishly hard to justify his glorification, almost inexcusable. Yet is he the best player in the league? This minute, by a mile.

Those crowned Footballer of the Year tend to be winners. It seemed incongruous two years ago when Scott Parker collected the prize in a season that ended in relegation for his club, West Ham United.

The case for Suarez would be different. It would be based on his contribution to a former member of the elite, Liverpool, and how far a great club might have tumbled without him.

There was certainly a similar case for Chris Waddle at Tottenham Hotspur one season, when the club could easily have slipped into the bottom three without his frequent interventions. Yet Suarez won't win and can't win, we know that.

He has been associated with too much of football's dark side - racism, simulation - to rise above the negativity. He refused to shake hands with Evra, at first, even though the wronged man made the first move, he openly mocked David Moyes when the Everton manager dared to suggest he went to ground too easily. And yet despite the opprobrium, Suarez stays strong.

If no-one likes him, see if he cares. Perhaps this is why, as well as being this season's best footballer he is also one that troubles the soul.

Suarez does not do sorry, he does not do contrition and, in this, demands to be considered only for his art. Will he care if recognition is not his at the end of the season? Probably not. As Pound said on his release from a lengthy stint of hard labour: 'I've had it worse.'

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont give a flying fuck about the award but im absolutely fucking seething at that article.

Somebody seriously needs to kick the fuck out of these journalists. Its wrong, in every fucking sense of the word, that such a blatant and disgusting witch-hunt can be played out in public without the bat of an eyelid.

I cant fucking stand injustice and the type of vile cunt who dishes this kind of shit out deserves the utter worst. Maybe I shouldnt let it get to me but its impossible.

And to think - what has Luis even done of late to stir up this fat bastards cretinous thoughts? Score goals? I remember many on here said things would tide over, that the club should "move on" and wipe its hands clean. Heres your result.

I will never accept these fucking wankers running our club - not for transfers, not sacking Kenny, not for hiring a bumbling fuckwit in Comolli - but because they left one of their own, one of our own, out in the fucking lurch despite being completely innocent. If this club has been shaped by anything it is it's steadfast belief in justice.

Fuck FSG. They could sign a 1987 John Barnes, i'll still fucking want them out of our club.

Edit: I really honestly mean it. Somebody needs to kick the fuck out of this fat cunt.

Goals from Suarez have changed Liverpool's dividend on seven occasions. He has been the difference between victory and a draw with Norwich City and a draw and a defeat against Manchester City, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle United and Chelsea.

Without his goal at Anfield, the Europa League qualifier with Hearts would have gone into extra time. And in this season's Premier League, seven points is currently separating Liverpool and a place in the bottom three.

True, if Suarez had not been in the team, somebody else would have been and that somebody might have scored, too. So this isn't exact science.

To put it mildly you big weirdo.

I'm sick of hearing all this 'where would we be without him' bollocks. We've had it with Torres & Stevie too, one man side etc. Well, where would Utd be without RVPs goals this season. Does that ever get brought up by these cunts? Barca, without Messi. It's a fuckin pointless argument. But when it's us it gets brought up in every article/report I fuckin read. That why these players are World Class, because they can do it every week. But the try to find a negative in it when it comes to us.

Dont give a flying fuck about the award but im absolutely fucking seething at that article.

Somebody seriously needs to kick the fuck out of these journalists. Its wrong, in every fucking sense of the word, that such a blatant and disgusting witch-hunt can be played out in public without the bat of an eyelid.

I cant fucking stand injustice and the type of vile cunt who dishes this kind of shit out deserves the utter worst. Maybe I shouldnt let it get to me but its impossible.

And to think - what has Luis even done of late to stir up this fat bastards cretinous thoughts? Score goals? I remember many on here said things would tide over, that the club should "move on" and wipe its hands clean. Heres your result.

I will never accept these fucking wankers running our club - not for transfers, not sacking Kenny, not for hiring a bumbling fuckwit in Comolli - but because they left one of their own, one of our own, out in the fucking lurch despite being completely innocent. If this club has been shaped by anything it is it's steadfast belief in justice.

Fuck FSG. They could sign a 1987 John Barnes, i'll still fucking want them out of our club.

Edit: I really honestly mean it. Somebody needs to kick the fuck out of this fat cunt.

Spot on and I share your frustration as should every other Liverpool supporter but for some fans this farce and just how badly LFC botched things doesn't even register. They're quick to describe Dalglish as a legend yet where is their anger at seeing him, as well as Suarez, being hung out to dry by the gross incompetence of spineless idiots?

If the owners had decided to clean house after this farce who could have blamed them. Yet to see Teflon Ayre rewarded with a promotion shows FSG are every bit as culpable for what went on. To see Teflon Ayre flaunt himself on national TV and hearing him claim he 'runs the show' is an insult to any decent minded red.

Teflon Ayre and FSG left the door wide open for the likes of Samuel to run amok.

Guest ShoePiss

Agree with all of that.

Guest ShoePiss
Spot on and I share your frustration as should every other Liverpool supporter but for some fans this farce and just how badly LFC botched things doesn't even register. They're quick to describe Dalglish as a legend yet where is their anger at seeing him, as well as Suarez, being hung out to dry by the gross incompetence of spineless idiots?

If the owners had decided to clean house after this farce who could have blamed them. Yet to see Teflon Ayre rewarded with a promotion shows FSG are every bit as culpable for what went on. To see Teflon Ayre flaunt himself on national TV and hearing him claim he 'runs the show' is an insult to any decent minded red.

Teflon Ayre and FSG left the door wide open for the likes of Samuel to run amok.

They hired Jenny Chang after the fallout of the Suarez shite, says it all.

Somebody seriously needs to kick the fuck out of these journalists. Its wrong' date=' in every fucking sense of the word, that such a blatant and disgusting witch-hunt can be played out in public without the bat of an eyelid.

Edit: I really honestly mean it. Somebody needs to kick the fuck out of this fat cunt.[/quote']

Spot on

Agree with all of that.

I'm sorry, that was the most hilariously stupid, utterly pathetic, incoherently daft attempt at swaying peoples minds against voting for Suarez for an award which means absolutely nothing.

This fatty boom boom has it in for a player who doesnt even know he exists. Does Suarez care? Probably not. Does this irk the cunt who is warmly nestled in the confines of Evra's colon? Yes.

Is it weigh-in day at Slimming World?

you may have hit the nail on the meaty, corpulent head there. Another morning colonic irrigation, wolf down the helium tablets, yet humiliation is inevitable.

Suarez has got more chance of winning footballer of the year than that bearded sloth has of winning slimmer of the month at his local club.

An absolutely wretched piece of writing. Ties himself up in knots, doesn't seem to know what point he's trying to make and comparing Suarez to the twat making the comments about hating jews is just really low. He's John Terry's biggest fanboy too, which makes it all the more laughable.

Not learened anything new from this though and I didn't need this article to tell me that Martin Samuel is a bad knobhead. I've known that for over ten years, I even remember writing a piece about him in the fanzine in the early days entitled "You may find this fat pig offensive".

He's not got any less offensive - or fat - in the decade that followed.

The blob's a well-paid troll, there's no doubt about it. There's no way he's sitting there with a stright face when he's coming up with shite like a vote for Suarez would be a vote for racism when he's recently argued that John Terry should still be England captain. Or when he says that a black-players union would be set up if he won player of the year, when we bear in mind that the idea was first mooted in the aftermath of the FA's decision to only give Terry half the ban they gave to Suarez. Or when he says that it would be wrong to award him because he's associated with the 'dark side', when it's mongs like him that do the associating in the first place, as the article shows.

Still, I bet the fat cunt went on a hunger strike when he read this, in the same rag: Premier League player of the season so far - is Harry Redknapp right? | Mail Online

Harry Redknapp says Cazorla has been the player of the season so far... but what about Suarez, Van Persie and co? Sportsmail's experts gives their verdict

Appearing as a pundit on Match of the Day last weekend, former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp argued that Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla has been the player of the Premier League season so far. The Spaniard has undoubtedly been a revelation at the Emirates this season, but there are plenty of other worthy candidates for the mantle. Here, Sportsmail's finest argue the case for the player that has wowed them the most over the last few months...

Neil Ashton - Luis Suarez (Liverpool)

He has put his past troubles behind him to become the driving force for Liverpool and the leading goalscorer in the Barclays Premier League with 10 already. Although opponents frequently complain of simulation, he appears unruffled and unaffected. A top player at the top of his game.

Matt Barlow - Juan Mata (Chelsea)

Beautifully balanced and easy on the eye and, perhaps more importantly, influential. Mata has eclipsed Chelsea's expensive new signings with his energy and vision, scoring and creating goals.

Laura Williamson - Robin van Persie (Man United)

Eight goals in 12 Premier League appearances (10 starts) for the Dutchman since his move from Arsenal. What happened to taking time to settle in at a new club? An honourable mention, too, to Steven Fletcher, whose superb finishing has produced six of Sunderland’s 10 league goals so far this season.

Ian Ladyman - Luis Suarez

The Uruguayan has much to learn about his conduct on the field but his football has been absolutely spellbinding. On current form he would get in any Premier League team and most in Europe. That just about sums it up.

Sami Mokbel - Luis Suarez

The expression 'one-man team' is disrespectful to the man in question's team-mates. But just where would Liverpool be without their brilliant Uruguayan? Simple, in a relegation battle. He has carried Brendan Rodgers' side this season in the way Steven Gerrard used to. Scores all types of goals. God help Liverpool should he get injured, or even worse, leave.

Riath Al-Samarrai - Michu (Swansea)

I interviewed him a couple of weeks into the season and he could barely sit still when talking about Cazorla, his former Oviedo team-mate with those wonderful feet. My view, possibly skewed by watching so many Swansea matches, is that Michu has made the same, if not more, impact. It’s about far more than numbers, although they tell you he has scored seven times in 12 Premier League games, and six of those have been decisive to results.

Dominic King - Luis Suarez

If I nominated the Liverpool striker as being the third best player in the world in print on Saturday, he can be my only choice for the best in the Premier League right now. Is playing at the peak of his powers, keeping Liverpool afloat and terrifying defenders. Top of the scoring charts and would be no surprise if he stays there.

John Edwards - Marouane Fellaini (Everton)

From heading Everton to victory in their opener against Manchester United to drilling a low shot through a crowded area to inspire a 2-1 win over Sunderland in their last home game, Belgium’s finest has looked the complete midfielder. An ability to control the ball on his chest and screen it from a defender at the same time has also contributed to Gary Neville recently calling him ‘unplayable’ on his day. There are others with strong claims, not least Robin Van Persie and Luis Suarez, but Felli’s the feller for me.

Neil Moxley - Luis Suarez

I really enjoy watching this fella play. He is such a clever, talented and dangerous forward. I know that his conversion rate is not the greatest. But neither is Wayne Rooney's. But if you look at his movement, his alertness and his goal-sense, he's right up there. There are some aspects to his character that it's difficult to warm to. He dives, ergo he cheats. With blanket television coverage, it would help if he cut that out. But as for the rest of it, carry on Luis. Please.

Lee Clayton - Luis Suarez

I would have picked Cazorla, because his is the single individual performance I have most enjoyed in the flesh. He dazzled West Ham. But he has been hot and cold in other games, whereas Suarez has carried his club. They really are a one man team this season and, while Liverpool are trying to escape mid-table, Suarez has scored 13 goals in all competitions already: in an average team, packed with kids. He's not popular, but he is brilliant.

Mark Alford - Leighton Baines (Everton)

Brilliant for Everton, solid for England. his ability to manipulate a football and cause havoc down the left with Steven Pienaar thrills every match. Tough in the tackle and skilful with his crossing, he's the main reason Everton have started well (for once).

Colin Young - Luis Suarez

He may not be everyone’s cup of tea, and there is a sinister side to him which is not welcome in the Premier League, but what a player. Suarez has added goals to his world class repertoire this season, and brilliant goals at that, which is just as well for Liverpool. Where would they be without him?

Matt Lawless - Raheem Sterling (Liverpool)

One word was all that was needed to kick Raheem Sterling into shape this summer: steady. It was followed by a terse warning from his new Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers who told the teenager, in no uncertain terms, to improve his attitude. That incident happened at Harvard University and provided the ultimate lesson for the prodigious 17-year-old. Yes, Luis Suarez is Liverpool's man of the moment but, for me, it's been the young winger who has been their stand-out performer. I should add that Eden Hazard, Edin Dzeko (super sub), Shane Long and Kevin Nolan deserve a mention too.

Matt Fortune - Mousa Dembele (Tottenham)

He's not been the most electric performer in the Premier League this season, but the influence of Mousa Dembele at Tottenham makes him perhaps the most invaluable. Since the Belgian was sidelined by injury, Tottenham have won just one in the Premier League - away at Southampton - having won five on the spin with him at the heart of all their play. He has filled the void left by Luka Modric with ease - at less than half the cost - and looked significantly more of a threat on goal than the deep-lying Croat ever did. His return to fitness can't come soon enough for Andre Villas-Boas.

And the winner is...

Luis Suarez (seven) gets the most votes from our panel of experts by a country mile. Eight players picked up one vote. Do you agree with our decision? Leave your thoughts below...

Tony Moore - Santi Cazorla (Arsenal)

He could get in any team in the Premier League. He plays football the right way, it's comes so easy to him. His passing, his balance, his link up play; he makes the ball talk. I loved watching him at West Ham. His play put a smile on my face, he was one step ahead of everyone else on the pitch.

King Luis: Suarez gets the vote from Sportsmail

Edited by Jack the Sipper