You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Until we get some proper forwards in, it's a bit early to judge.

Our front 3 is way too blunt. Yes, Suarez has bagged a few but his shooting is woeful and he should have had at least another 4 goals.

We need a forward like Torres (in his pomp), Owen or Fowler who would just get you a goal out of the one half chance they got during a match

Not early at all. We have given him time. He dont need another 3 years. He is an incompetent manager.

Even discussing Rodgers position, at this time, is ludicrous.

Saying that, it highlights the type of "fans" we have.

Exactly. It is a sad state of affairs to be having such a fit at this stage - 9 league games in...

We will end up in massive trouble if this habbit of sacking the manager every season persists. He needs time and as people have said a proper transfer window. We are playing a team of kids at the moment because he was forced into it. In fairness the kids have been great but it's hard to expect them to be world beaters in their first Senior season. Hopefully given time and some transfer budget they will be rotated into the squad at different times and be allowed to develop without the weight of pressure they are currntly under.

Some perspective is needed and people have to get a grip. There were only a couple of games this season that we have actually got outplayed and with a few decent additions and more experince in the team you would hope that we would become much more ruthless.

We won't get anything out of this season and people have to comes to terms with that, what we will get is some stability from a management perspective and as the players get more familiar and confident in the regime they will get better as a team. No manager in the world right now could come in and do much better, its nonsense. Look at Klopp with Dortmund, he didn't do it over night. Give Rodgers a break, i think he may build something competitive here that we can all be proud of. We are sounding like Newcastle fans at the moment....

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We should sack him now and give a new man a chance over the next dozen games. If he's done shite then sack him and get another man in and judge him over the next dozen games. Repeat until someone has killed us in the face.

Disagree. I think we should repeat until someone has cunted us in the bastard. We've still got standards, you know?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Okay, honesty about how things are going: As expected after we didn't get another four/five top quality players for the first team. If it wasn't for hideous reffing errors and bad luck, we'd have more points. Still, another hundred or two million on players would have made them irrelevant.

We seem to want United/City results on next to no funding? Five players come into the club, one has a broken foot, the other is one of our best players, and the other two are a loan, a youngster and a 3m squad filler. We can only expect so much.

Read the tone of the last few pages - Glock for one.

Glock is just a Manc cunt on a windup though. He hasn't said anything worthwhile in a single one of his posts here and can be safely ignored.

Surely the tone reflects a completely fucking shit start to the season, but that doesn't necessarily translate into people wanting him sacked. No-one is seriously suggesting that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't particularly care about the league cup, to be honest. We started with Cole and Yesil as our creative force. A fat smoker and a kid who probably doesn't yet understand how to wipe his arsehole properly.

Or perhaps we could be honest about how we think things are going without having to be accused of wanting to sack anyone.

No, stupid me, that will obviously never work.

Oh stop being so precious you big girls blouse. I was just having a laugh.

But even having said that, on twitter last night (yes twitter full is of cunts, blah de blah) there were plenty of people saying we need to cut him loose now.

There are also a number on here who very clearly would be happy if he was sacked but they don’t have the stones to say it and so skirt around that issue while talking him down at every point. (I'm not talking about you by the way)

There is a ground swell out there already against him. That’s the new modern way of supporting and we have to just accept it, no matter how annoying it is. They do the same with players, which is even more annoying when you look at Lucas and see what can happen if you give a player time.

I am trying not to judge him. I made a decision with myself (harder to do then it sounds) back in August that I’d only really assess him after next summers transfer window. i.e. September 2013. However, that doesn’t mean I’m all happy and smiley about how we are playing right now. I’m pissed off with last night. I’m pissed off with how we played against Arsenal. I’m pissed off with a number of performances. However, I’ve also really enjoyed how we played in quite a few games. I think with a proper striker we could and should have been a lot higher. A proper ref/linesman against the Mancs, Sunderland and Man Utd and we’d be challenging top 4.

I see negatives, but I also see positives. Hopefully the latter will outweigh the former, but nothing has changed my view that we need to allow this mature over the long haul. We are not a billionaires plaything so it’s going to take a few seasons to get this right. The question is does our fan base have the ability to act like our fan base of decades gone by? Personally I don’t think they have. But I hope Rodgers is given the chance.

Never ceases to amaze me how some see the past through such rose tinted specs. You think no-one ever complained under Bill or Bob, Johnny? Think again.

We're human beings. When things go well we're happy and when they don't we're sad. If you cut us do we not bleed?

Etc.

Right, just enough time for a shit, shower and a shave before I brave the day.

Surely the tone reflects a completely fucking shit start to the season, but that doesn't necessarily translate into people wanting him sacked. No-one is seriously suggesting that.

Fair comment.

I worry about the view that in the winter window we will buy that goalscorer- that several other clubs will be competing for too.

Unless we plunge into releagtion trouble, which we won't, we will all have to ride out the season.

There are definite areas of concern for me.

They mostly start from the very top though.

Why all the theory's of a young manager and DOF and then just drop the idea because the man didn't want to work under a DOF?

Surely you go out and get a young coach that will work with a DOF and not now down to one that won't.I can understand if you are bringing a Mourinho,Hiddink into the club and ripping up your long term plans to get the best managers in the game but not for a unproven rookie(ish) manager.

The summer was a obvious write off,selling off anyone on higher wages and then somebody on board level started sticking there nose into football matters and values.Nobody on the board has any football experience,who are these so called advisors?

The likes of Sterling,Suso,Wisdom should have been playing Euro,Cup games not being relied on to play every week in the league.We will damage these players long term if we can't leave them out.

Never ceases to amaze me how some see the past through such rose tinted specs. You think no-one ever complained under Bill or Bob, Johnny? Think again.

That comment is just as bad as the ones you are complaining about where people say "stop wanting Brendan sacked".

Of course people complained, but I am referring back to the days of Shanks when he went 7 seasons without winning anything. No doubt a handful questioned him, but he had majority support.

But you don’t need to get me started on our fan base in how they turned on Houllier and Benitez for example. My view of our fan base has changed a hell of a lot over the last decade. No doubt about that. The things said about managers has been eye opening. I don’t think we are anything like we think we are. “Best fans in the world”? My arse.

The question is does our fan base have the ability to act like our fan base of decades gone by? Personally I don’t think they have. But I hope Rodgers is given the chance.

Post Shankly our support was never faced with performances like the second half of last season and the start to this. There was no golden age.

Money talks. The equation is simple, if we are not appearing on television enough due to cup exits and poor league form, and tv , gate and commercial revenues fall, any manager is going to go.

Our problem is that last time around the managerial candidates list was pretty unispiring. If Rodgers fails that list will be weaker still.

People had a perception of Rodgers before he was appointed, that would not have changed at this stage of the season - so it isn't really early thoughts on Rodgers that people are giving, it is the same thoughts - backed up with cherry picked evidence.

I can remember us playing the champions league group stage with Neil Mellor, because Rafa 'sold' Michael Owen leaving us with two, one of whom broke his leg leaving us with Baros. We never used that as an example of his limitations of a manager we used it as evidence of a club going through a passage of change, and having touch of bad luck.