You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Yeah - i'm just not sure that would be in me though....so gonna set bar at 3:45 and if i go under it and closer to 3:30 then bonus time.

2 hours ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Progress is superb mate. Top marks to you. As long as you don't end up looking like a distance runner all good.

I haven't got the grid yet.

But yeah mindful not to lose too much weight - i dropped as low as 11st at one point and at 6'1" that was too low for me.....have hovered between 11st 6lb and 11st 10lbs for a while now and happy enough at that.

It's a lot better than the 16st 9lbs i used to weigh.

• Upvote 1

On 20/07/2023 at 15:08, an tha said:

Just on a real improvement curve at present.

Started doing these different runs in training - progression, tempo, threshold etc and the gains just keep coming.

Recently raced my PB over 10k 46:19 which was nice but then Saturday entered a 7 mile race (strange distance but hey) and killed it in 50:03....that is 7 mins 9 secs a mile pace - and it wasn't a flat course.

That is 18 secs a mile faster than my 10k PB before. If i run same pace at a 10k race i am running on sunday i will clock 44:26 - so would knock nearly 2 mins off PB.

I can't believe how much i am improving at present - of course it will plateau - but no problem. As it stands i think that 3:45:00 marathon in sep is doable.

Great to see your progress, you've been working hard and it's clearly paying off.

If you're starting threshold work only now, your improvement will really be exponential from here on out. Threshold training has become the new training system de jour, mostly thanks to the incredible achievements of the Ingebrigtsen brothers from Norway, especially Jakob who's basically the Mozart of distance running.

This is a really good article on the principles of threshold training if you haven't seen it already - https://www.mariusbakken.com/training-corner/kenyan-training/kenyan-training-a-practical-guide.html

Good luck on the 10k! I'm sure you'll smash it.

11 hours ago, Em City said:

Great to see your progress, you've been working hard and it's clearly paying off.

If you're starting threshold work only now, your improvement will really be exponential from here on out. Threshold training has become the new training system de jour, mostly thanks to the incredible achievements of the Ingebrigtsen brothers from Norway, especially Jakob who's basically the Mozart of distance running.

This is a really good article on the principles of threshold training if you haven't seen it already - https://www.mariusbakken.com/training-corner/kenyan-training/kenyan-training-a-practical-guide.html

Good luck on the 10k! I'm sure you'll smash it.

Nice one....gonna get stuck into that info...cheers.

So 46.19 was the standing 10k PB going into today.

It is now 43.09

I was frankly stunned at lobbing off that much... 6.56 per mile pace - actually felt sound doing it.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, an tha said:

Nice one....gonna get stuck into that info...cheers.

So 46.19 was the standing 10k PB going into today.

It is now 43.09

I was frankly stunned at lobbing off that much... 6.56 per mile pace - actually felt sound doing it.

Kinell, that's a huge chunk. 

Won't be too long before 6:56 is your tempo pace and your race pace is 6:00 imo. 

1 hour ago, Em City said:

Kinell, that's a huge chunk. 

Won't be too long before 6:56 is your tempo pace and your race pace is 6:00 imo. 

Cheer - Don't know about that though - but if i can squueze a bit more out over next year i'll be made up.

I know there will be a plateau and that is fine, but will keep riding wave as long as it lasts - it is also deffo about putting the work in - and of course being sensible and lucky to stay injury free.

No more shortish races now until after marathon - time to focus on the long runs and get the endurance built up.

Managed to keep my running streak going during a week in Vegas. I’m an early riser anyway so managed to get out for a run each day before it got too hot - was in low 30’s around 8am. Even managed to get a 10km in, up and down the strip - to the Stratosphere and back. 

The time difference and the flight times meant I had a late run when I got back home last night to hit 920 days for my streak. 

• Upvote 3

On 27/07/2023 at 15:49, GR10 LFC said:

Managed to keep my running streak going during a week in Vegas. I’m an early riser anyway so managed to get out for a run each day before it got too hot - was in low 30’s around 8am. Even managed to get a 10km in, up and down the strip - to the Stratosphere and back. 

The time difference and the flight times meant I had a late run when I got back home last night to hit 920 days for my streak. 

Superb stuff. Must be hard work running out there.

Need to make No.1000 something special!

Will shoot through 150 miles for July tomorrow.

Got a 2 hr run planned - 90 mins 'easy' and 30 at target marathon pace.

Currently on 144.5 miles for month - will be around 14 tomorrow so 158 or so.

Next month will probably beat it....can't wait.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, an tha said:

Superb stuff. Must be hard work running out there.

Need to make No.1000 something special!

I was dreading running in Vegas after reading the reports before going but it wasn’t too bad in the end. Although it was hot I was taking fluids with me and never really felt any levels of being uncomfortable. 
1000 days falls on Saturday 14th October. Should I make it then it will probably be my local parkrun at Croxteth Park with my local running group. Still a long way to go though. 

11 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

I was dreading running in Vegas after reading the reports before going but it wasn’t too bad in the end. Although it was hot I was taking fluids with me and never really felt any levels of being uncomfortable. 
1000 days falls on Saturday 14th October. Should I make it then it will probably be my local parkrun at Croxteth Park with my local running group. Still a long way to go though. 

You'll do it - no doubt.

I did my weekly long run today - covered 14.12 miles in 2 hrs....8.30 a mile pace.

First hour at easy pace last half hour at a 'moderate' effort.

The difference between now and last year is stark - i was training for london marathon this time last year and used to bore people silly on here with my training log and my pace wasoften around 9.30-9.45 per mile over these long runs.

9 a mile is a jog now and feels like 8 is a pace could hold for ages...so 8.30 across marathon distance for around 3.45 feels doable.

Fingers crossed and keep working hard.

Splits for today - first 9 miles i ran easy last 5 i pushed a bit harder....

Screenshot-20230730-120948-Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, an tha said:

You'll do it - no doubt.

I did my weekly long run today - covered 14.12 miles in 2 hrs....8.30 a mile pace.

First hour at easy pace last half hour at a 'moderate' effort.

The difference between now and last year is stark - i was training for london marathon this time last year and used to bore people silly on here with my training log and my pace wasoften around 9.30-9.45 per mile over these long runs.

9 a mile is a jog now and feels like 8 is a pace could hold for ages...so 8.30 across marathon distance for around 3.45 feels doable.

Fingers crossed and keep working hard.

Splits for today - first 9 miles i ran easy last 5 i pushed a bit harder....

Great effort that. I managed an 8.5 mile run on Friday - was averaging around 9.26 per mile, but the lad I was running with is heart zone training for an ultra he is doing in September so wanted to do a slower pace. Did a 10km on Sunday, 8.45 per mile, which I was happy with considering I had been at a 21st the night before!

1 hour ago, GR10 LFC said:

Great effort that. I managed an 8.5 mile run on Friday - was averaging around 9.26 per mile, but the lad I was running with is heart zone training for an ultra he is doing in September so wanted to do a slower pace. Did a 10km on Sunday, 8.45 per mile, which I was happy with considering I had been at a 21st the night before!

Run slow to run fast and run longer!

As for running after a night on the ale - I just can't do it - it is a big part of why i gave the ale up! Fair do's to you.

I've just started again after a long hiatus due to a herniated disc.

It's a bit frustrating as my lung capacity is greater than my bodies recovery. So am going to ease into it gradually after initially doing a bit too much too soon. Going to start couch to 5k from week 5 as I can already run 20 minutes comfortably but need my body to adapt, which is why I'm going to do a proper programme.

31 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've just started again after a long hiatus due to a herniated disc.

It's a bit frustrating as my lung capacity is greater than my bodies recovery. So am going to ease into it gradually after initially doing a bit too much too soon. Going to start couch to 5k from week 5 as I can already run 20 minutes comfortably but need my body to adapt, which is why I'm going to do a proper programme.

Ease into it slowly and steadily....small little gains each week and build it back up steadily.

Sounds like you have a half decent base so just be patient and sensible - it'll come!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Ease into it slowly and steadily....small little gains each week and build it back up steadily.

Sounds like you have a half decent base so just be patient and sensible - it'll come!

I'm hoping my muscles will adapt and my recovery time will decrease. Fucking annoying though as I want to be pushing myself but that'd be foolish.

7 hours ago, Elite said:

I'm hoping my muscles will adapt and my recovery time will decrease. Fucking annoying though as I want to be pushing myself but that'd be foolish.

Yeah the body is boss at adapting and at telling us what is what......the real trick is in us being clever enough to listen to it....

1hr 45 long run today - to be run at an 'easy pace' - covered 12.23 miles at 8.35 a mile pace and it felt pretty sedate.

I think this time last year my 'easy runs' were 9.30 a mile pace and maybe a touch more.

Next 2 or 3 weeks see a biggish spike in mileage/time on feet so will be interesting to see how i go then....but as it stands i think i might be on for a 3.45 marathon, i'd be made up if it happened.

• Upvote 2

Christ, I wish I could still run. I wasn't exactly an athlete, but I really enjoyed it and was building nicely from 5K to regular 10Ks when I started getting terrible pains from the outside of my left knee upwards after a few minutes running. It had pretty much exactly the same symptoms as an IT band problem, but two physios and my GP said not and that my knee was a bit 'fucked', to paraphrase things. I had 6 months off, then tried again during Covid, and had the same results as soon as I started ramping up the speed or distance. Gutted.

I do spin sessions and cross trainer plus rowing in the gym for cardio, but it's not the same as the joy and freedom I used to get from running. Fucking knees.

45 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Christ, I wish I could still run. I wasn't exactly an athlete, but I really enjoyed it and was building nicely from 5K to regular 10Ks when I started getting terrible pains from the outside of my left knee upwards after a few minutes running. It had pretty much exactly the same symptoms as an IT band problem, but two physios and my GP said not and that my knee was a bit 'fucked', to paraphrase things. I had 6 months off, then tried again during Covid, and had the same results as soon as I started ramping up the speed or distance. Gutted.

I do spin sessions and cross trainer plus rowing in the gym for cardio, but it's not the same as the joy and freedom I used to get from running. Fucking knees.

That sounds terrible.

Can you manage short runs at a slowish pace - just anything to get out.

Anything that can be done to help knee?

1 minute ago, an tha said:

That sounds terrible.

Can you manage short runs at a slowish pace - just anything to get out.

Anything that can be done to help knee?

Don't think so mate, aside from some sort of an op/ replacement, and I'd guess I'm too young- 55-  for that sort of thing. Thing is, I'm not interested in just pootering about for a few K, I want the highs from pushing things beyond what I thought I was capable of- that was a real eye-opener in my mid forties when I started running again.

Anyway, after a year or so of some utter shite caused by by rheumatoid arthritis, I'm pretty happy to be doing what I am now, even if it is so sterile. Just wistful after reading your amazing journey, and I can still walk for as long as I want, it's just a bit dull, you know?

12 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Don't think so mate, aside from some sort of an op/ replacement, and I'd guess I'm too young- 55-  for that sort of thing. Thing is, I'm not interested in just pootering about for a few K, I want the highs from pushing things beyond what I thought I was capable of- that was a real eye-opener in my mid forties when I started running again.

Anyway, after a year or so of some utter shite caused by by rheumatoid arthritis, I'm pretty happy to be doing what I am now, even if it is so sterile. Just wistful after reading your amazing journey, and I can still walk for as long as I want, it's just a bit dull, you know?

I hear you.....bastard luck.

But at least you are doing something and all you can. I'd be devoed if i had to stop now.

• Upvote 1

I’ve been running about twice a week just for half an hour, for most of this year, but I’ve had an ear infection and that hearing from inside a balloon feeling, on and off for the last 4 weeks and I can’t run as it’s disorienting. Really frustrating.