You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone else fucking tired of having to defend Luis?

Alex Gibbo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major Tom is someone who seemed to take a contrary view on this matter. He's entitled to his opinion (though I didn't agree with it) and he took an awful lot of stick. He PM'd me last week about my thoughts on the Suarez matter because I'd posted something about how I kept it to the MF where it wouldn't get swamped by replies to the latest outrageous Twittering by the likes of Holt and so on. Maybe Major Tom's been a bit busy this week, but he's certainly been less vocal about it since I PM'd him back as requested.

So Major, if you're reading this, can you copy my PM'd reply to this thread as I seem to have deleted it by mistake.

Yours,

Ground Control.

Ha! Apologies for not yet paying you the courtesy of a reply. I certainly will do so however. I have been quiet on this particular subject because, as I said to you in my PM, I am reluctant to engage in the topic any more because it appears so emotive to a lot of folk and I didn't want to stoke the fire. I disagree with some of your views, but do so happily, and I will outline my own views by way of a returned PM.

Anyway, as requested, Ground Control.

Over and out

Tell you the truth, I'm sick of the whole thing too. I wrote an awful lot about it, mainly on the MF though. MF threads tend to flow a lot better which lends itself to the sort of long-winded prose on the subject that I put up there.

Basically, I agree that Suarez used a word that in hindsight he shouldn't have. I don't think he used it in an antagonistic manner, certainly not in any racial context and certainly not on numerous occasions as the report tried to suggest. He has no previous for this sort of thing, and has had so many people (of different racial backgrounds too) come out in defence of him. I accept that it is possible for anybody to say or do something totally out of character once, but to do it continuously would suggest it is actually a part of their character rather than an aberration.

That the panel chose to disregard the numerous and significant changes in Evra's account - even after the FA effectively 'dressed' him as a witness by going over his testimony and video footage on a number of occasions to give him the utmost chance of appearing credible - whilst highlighting the discrepancies in Suarez's version after not affording him the same multiple opportunities to review the same footage, suggests to me that the verdict had already been decided after the charge, and that the findings were skewed to corroborate with that verdict.

You probably won't agree, but there were too many people within the FA, the media and at ManU who badly needed a guilty verdict to save face. It wouldn't have made much difference if we'd had a stronger legal team. Flooring the credibility of Suarez and Liverpool on the most dubious evidence imaginable meant that face could be saved, and no-one would listen to any valid objections raised by Liverpool or Suarez. They got their pound of flesh.

Incidentally, I wouldn't have accepted Ferguson's statement the way our legal team did. I would have ensured he be obliged to face further questioning because I'm certain it would have shed a different light on proceedings than anything the report actually turned up. He was a key player in the whole drama, and he was allowed to take a back seat. I'll never understand why that was allowed to happen.

I

When did we start giving a fuck what anyone else's fans think? Did I miss a meeting or something?

I'll tell you what. Let's fucking sell Suarez and then maybe the Q.P.R fans will like us a bit more. Is this the sort of thing we need to start doing? Really?

I'm not bored of defending him and I'll never get bored of defending him, (until he goes somewhere else, obviously), and I'm praying he stays with us for fucking years.

He's a vicious, snarling, cheating, Parker-hoofing twat who quite patently doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks of him and I fucking love him for it.

Fuck Man United, fuck Evra and fuck every single away fan who comes to Anfield with their paltry fucking collection of medals that their mediocre fucking team has collected over the years.

I hope he ends up being the most hated player this league's ever seen.

This. And more. Hear hear sir!

Guest San Don
Originally Posted by Squabblefest View Post

When did we start giving a fuck what anyone else's fans think? Did I miss a meeting or something?

I'll tell you what. Let's fucking sell Suarez and then maybe the Q.P.R fans will like us a bit more. Is this the sort of thing we need to start doing? Really?

I'm not bored of defending him and I'll never get bored of defending him, (until he goes somewhere else, obviously), and I'm praying he stays with us for fucking years.

He's a vicious, snarling, cheating, Parker-hoofing twat who quite patently doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks of him and I fucking love him for it.

Fuck Man United, fuck Evra and fuck every single away fan who comes to Anfield with their paltry fucking collection of medals that their mediocre fucking team has collected over the years.

I hope he ends up being the most hated player this league's ever seen.

This. I never tire of defending anyone connected to LFC, Never.

There's another element to my standpoint on this issue.

I go for a beer every Friday after work and we've been going into the same bar every week for a long time. I've been into the dark lagers for a while so was made up when they started stocking 'Negra Modelo' a while back. I went in this week only to find they had none in stock. The owner explained that they'd had advice to remove the brand as it may cause offence. If Suarez hadn't said what he had they'd have never taken it off the shelf. Never get between a man and his beer.

I'll take Major Tom's advice and bow out of the discussion now.

What Suarez has or hasn't done is pretty minor in the grand scheme of Premiership cuntery. Did Roy Keane, the darling of footy journos everywhere, not admit to deliberately trying to break someone's leg?

[YOUTUBE]jzEGkmY-Vio[/YOUTUBE]

Or Cantona earning the title of 'flawed genius' for kicking a fan in the chest. What about the laundry list of twattery Bergkamp pulled off in his time when it comes to sly digs at players? And as for diving - don't make me laugh, Suarez isn't even in the top 20.

Rooney is an animal and philandering cunt and yet his mug will grace FIFA posters for years to come.

Whether you're a saint or a sinner, a 'hard man who embodies the bulldog spirit' or a 'sly foreign cunt' all depends on the football reporter in question - and the hold a particular manager has over him at that time in question, it really is as simple as that. For whatever reason, Liverpool has always been a soft target for shit like this. Just ask Fowler.

I think you've outlined the reason - it's because we're a soft target. We don't respond in kind and barely defend ourselves. What have been the ramifications for the FA and the media for slandering our star player, manager and club?

Imagine if half of what we've been subjected to for the past two months happened at the Mancs- Ferguson being called a racist and Kenny's best mate deciding to ban, say, Hernandez for 8 games - and what their response would be. How many newspapers would have permanent bans? TV stations not allowed to speak directly with Rooney et al? FA members facing legal action?

The FA and media aren't particularly bright, but they do understand certain consequences; money and access being chief among them. As long as we don't defend ourselves along those lines then, in my opinion, another Fowler/Mascherano/Suarez clusterfuck is always around the corner.

It is getting that way......i think thats the trouble, he's beginining to believe his own hype....hero worshipped already, but his goals to games ratio isn't good...making the headlines for all the wrong reasons imo so can see what Alex means...

Lets us not forget this is the same player who took a bite out of someones ear in Holland...

Needs to calm down a touch...

Smart money? A red card at Old trafford if not careful

4fmv9.jpg

Redshadow: WHATS WITH ALL THE FUCKING BOLD TEXT, jesus its fucking eye aids and instantly makes the reader disregard your point(s), whatever they were..

to be fair he is pretty bad for diving, mind you Ronaldo was worse and didn't get half the shit

people believe he is racist because the redtops told them so after the most biased judgement in history from the FA and now every little thing he does is picked up upon

fuck this country is full of cunts

Originally Posted by Gray Riley:-

''Suarez shouldn't have said what he did and deserves a ban. He should have apologised, blamed it on the cultural differences and accepted that he has things to learn about what's acceptable. If he'd done this he wouldn't have had such a lengthy ban and the club have mugged themselves off with their prickly attitude towards it. Clearly it's not going to go away until after Saturday but there's little point in the club adding fuel to the fire in interviews etc. Suarez has missed 9 games through bans and owes us a return on the fortune we've paid him whilst he's been missing through his stupidity.''

i cant believe that there are people still wishing to comment on this that are still ignorant as to what suarez did, admitted to and his subsequent actions.

firstly your assertion that suarez should have blamed it on cultural difference's is bogus due to the fact that evra originally claimed suarez had called him a n****r. suarez is/was 100% correct to refute that. once aware of the complaint suarez almost immediately came with the ''i only called him something that his team mates call him'' quote and he has stuck to that rigidly. the linguistic testimony back what suarez says about the use of the word.

secondly you say he should have apologised and laid the blame at the foot of cultural differences. did you not read his statement released inconjuction with the clubs statement that they had decided not to appeal in which he said just that. in that statement he said.

“I admitted to the commission that I said a word in Spanish once, and only once and I told the panel members that I will not use it again on a football pitch in England.

“I never, ever used this word in a derogatory way and if it offends anyone then I want to apologise for that.” so you see he has apologised. but that apology relates only to what he admitted saying and not the lies that evra has had foisted on him.

you then go on to mention that he could have had a reduced ban if he and the club had acted in a different way, which is complete horseshit as reasons for the length of the ban were laid out in the report and mentioned nothing of suarez' or liverpools conduct as regards the charges. unless of course you are suggesting that him admitting to using a racial slur in the first place would have prevented the f.a. and evra from having to concoct another 6 occasions to prove intent. which just about sums up the pro f.a./evra opinions of the majority of posts ive read of that persuasion.

as ive said countless times. read the report, study the evidence. until you do that your opinion aint worth a carrot.

pete

Suarez shouldn't have said what he did and deserves a ban. He should have apologised, blamed it on the cultural differences and accepted that he has things to learn about what's acceptable. If he'd done this he wouldn't have had such a lengthy ban and the club have mugged themselves off with their prickly attitude towards it.

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

The inquest was a sham, the evidence was full of holes, the verdict was a joke, and the sanction was a disgrace. If it was up to me, the club would be even more militant on the issue.

Luis' interview with Uraguay radio is a bit of a blow to all of us who supported him.

What's he said?

People shouldn't be naive, if we don't do well in the next year or two, he'll leave. Loyalty doesn't exist in football. Supporting him is great but it means very little.

Everyones entitled to their own opinion.

But anybody who read that report will have to have seen glaring problems with it.

To not have would mean either they are stupid, dishonest or they have an agenda.

Just one of the many problems....Evra gets coached through the evidence, Suarez doesn't, and despite numerous changes in Evra's version of things he is deemed reliable and honest.

Give me a fucking break, anyone trying to say that isn't a huge fucking problem is just simply wrong.

Guest The Chimp
Luis' interview with Uraguay radio is a bit of a blow to all of us who supported him.

It really, really is not. Unless of course you're going on the incorrect and mischievous 'translation' in the media rather than a translation which accurately reflects what he said. Not being a cunt here but I expect people to do a bit more than accept secondary sources on face value, especially if there are doubts as to the impartiality of said source. I'm on my tablet here and copying and pasting/providing links is a pain in the are. Unless someoneelse forwards it, I'll provide the real translation later on.

"It was really tough being out without playing all this time, i went in too anxious and couldn't really enjoy the comeback."

"The anxiety of wanting to do everything from the first minute played against me and i couldn't give all the best i would have liked to give."

"All i thought about was going in and do what i could to help the team.

If i had thouht about what happened in the las months it would have been too hard,

so i tried to forget about everything."

Suarez showed himself incredibly grateful with the behaviour of the people towards him, "not just on the field, but also in the streets."

The Reds Idol assured that Liverpool fans showed him incredible affection. "I feel very comfortable, the affection they feel for me is proven day by day."

Suarez indicated that he always was one to protest and gesture a lot but assured he will try to improve in those aspects.

The man from Salto highlighted the support he received from his team mates, "Many of them are black, born in surinam, came out in my support and told me not to worry, the same goes for another team mate from Groningen, i felt really supported by them and by the people around me. The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened. As the saying goes, what happens on the field stays on the field."

Xerxes, wrong again.