You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Looking at that graphic ... God we're shit at batting at the top. Just spectacularly awful.

How in the fuck has Gary Ballance still averaged nearly 50 in Test cricket when his feet are bolted down behind the popping crease, and why can't he do it -- whatever it was -- anymore? Where the hell did the Ian Bell who made 562 runs in the last home Ashes disappear to? Why have we still not managed to find a competent opener to replace Strauss? He retired three years ago FFS and we're still searching for someone who can see off the new ball occasionally without shitting his kecks.

Looking at that graphic ... God we're shit at batting at the top. Just spectacularly awful.

How in the fuck has Gary Ballance still averaged nearly 50 in Test cricket when his feet are bolted down behind the popping crease, and why can't he do it -- whatever it was -- anymore? Where the hell did the Ian Bell who made 562 runs in the last home Ashes disappear to? Why have we still not managed to find a competent opener to replace Strauss? He retired three years ago FFS and we're still searching for someone who can see off the new ball occasionally without shitting his kecks.

Where balance is concerned, I think he just massively lacks technique and now people have watched him and have plans for him, he's been found out. Plus he scored a shitload of those runs against an India team that didn't want to be here didn't he?

As for Bell, I'm biased as I've always hated him. I've never looked properly, but he always seemed to score runs in no-pressures situations aside from that one ashes series, which always feels to me like the outlyer in his career.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think we should be looking to replace anyone of bell, balance and lyth for the next test and an ideal world all 3. Although I have no idea if we have anyone aside from bairstow is ready.

It would be very England to stick with this side or just make one small change after that type of result. We will see how far this "bold" England is willing to go and how much is just lip service.

• Upvote 2

What's the go with James Taylor? I thought he showed a bit at the World Cup, but according to cricinfo he hasn't played a FC game since June? His overall numbers are very solid. 

And if they get all aggressive and bounce him it will just go over his head!

Taylor got a ton yesterday. Good timing. If Bairstow isnt in the next side, the ECB can fuck off. They will deserve all thats coming.

Bairstow for Ballance, Root at 3, and Rashid for Bell,We would still have Moeen going in at 6/7.

Rashid is highly likely to get more than Bell under any circumstances at the moment.

I'd stick with Lyth for now, just, but Rampraksh should get his doggy launcher thing, and be winging balls at him from about 16 yards outside off stump. He needs to make the leave more of a default.

However, Nasser caning him for not leaving on length yesterday was wrong, you can leave happily at Perth, not on an English dung heap designed to play slow and low. Look what happened to Root about an hour later.

Once again Atherton calls it right. Love Athers, real shame he's a Manc.

Lyth

Cook

Root

Bairstow

Stokes

Moeen

Buttler

Rashid

Wood

Broad

Anderson

The angle of Lyth's bat is half the problem. That and making Rogers look like a spring chicken.

He is a funny looking fellow, Lyth, looks about 20 years older than his age. Has he got alopecia?

Still I think he looks a better player than Carberry or Compton, even if the results haven't been there.

Guest Pistonbroke

Prince has just been caught for 261. Petersen still in on 277.

Odds on favourites for promotion mate. I'm a Durham lad, we are doing well but need Yorkshire to collapse big style if we have any chance winning the title again. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Ashes 2015: Trevor Bayliss says England will discuss changes

England will pick their squad for the third Ashes Test against Australia on Tuesday, with head coach Trevor Bayliss admitting there are "some good players on the outside".

Adam Lyth, Gary Ballance and Ian Bell are under pressure, with Jonny Bairstow and James Taylor in good domestic form.

"When you play badly, positions are looked at," said Bayliss, whose side were heavily beaten in the second Test.

Bayliss also hinted there could be room for England's one-day batsmen.

"Test cricket is becoming more and more like a one-day game anyway," said the Australian, whose first game in charge saw England beat Australia at Cardiff.

"You maybe don't have quite as many short balls bowled at you in a one-day game. But I think you get confidence from batting well anywhere. If you've got one-day form, there's no real reason you can't turn that into runs at Test level."

_84389167_pietersen.jpg

Kevin Pietersen sent this tweet while in Miami on Monday

Bairstow and Taylor, who hit 139 and 291 respectively in the latest round of County Championship matches, have both figured in the England one-day team in the past year, while Bayliss's comments suggest players like Alex Hales and 50-over captain Eoin Morgan may be considered.

Hales, once rated as the best Twenty20 batsmen in the world, is yet to play five-day cricket while Morgan played the most recent of his 16 Tests in 2012.

It would be a surprise if Morgan, 28, were recalled - he averages just 10 for Middlesex this season and got a pair in his last four-day outing - but he has worked with Bayliss in both the Indian Premier League and Australian Big Bash.

The likely contenders   County Runs Average Centuries Fifties

*2015 first-class statistics - correct at close of play on 20 July 2015

Jonny Bairstow

Yorkshire

James Hildreth

Somerset

Alex Hales

Notts

Nick Compton

Middlesex

James Taylor

Notts

Eoin Morgan

Middlesex

Top order form 'a concern'

Bayliss is aware of England's top-order frailties - their third wicket has fallen with 52 runs or fewer on the board in eight of their past 14 Test innings - and says it will be discussed at Tuesday's meeting.

Lyth, Ballance and Bell scored 56 runs between them in their six innings at Lord's, while their Australia counterparts Chris Rogers, David Warner and Steve Smith amassed 616.

The third Test begins at Edgbaston on 29 July, with the series level at 1-1.

"It's on the mind of anyone when the team is not playing like you would like - those things are always in the back of the coach's and selectors' mind," said Bayliss.

"Two Tests ago they were selected for these first couple because they were considered the best players in the country. That doesn't necessarily change after only four innings.

"[but] it's a concern that we are three or four for 40, and they know that."

England top order this summer   Innings Runs Average Highest

Cook

Lyth

Ballance

Bell

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to laugh at the arrogance of KP's tweet, he has been playing T20 only since last winter and his average is pretty mediocre, arrogant piss taking gob shite.