You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FIFA say no to England side wearing Poppies on shirts

Antynwa

Guest Pistonbroke

England and Scotland fans brawling in Trafalgar Square.

That disrespectful FIFA though, eh?......

TBF that was always gonna happen due to other reasons. It will only get worse after the game and possibly during, hope it doesn't but I ain't holding my breath. The chants are going to be pretty cringe worthy during the game. 

England and Scotland fans brawling in Trafalgar Square.

That disrespectful FIFA though, eh?......

Intsresting song choices as well by all accounts.

FA: We've made a big deal of the respect angle of this we need to keep it up with the music and really show FIFA we mean business.

DJ: I got this

FA: You sure

DJ: Of course, keep it tasteful........up next we're gonna Shoot the Runner, shabba.

Seeing members of the Royal Family and politicians bowing heads and getting emotional about wearing poppies, laying wreaths at the cenotaph and praying for the dead winds me up to fuck.

YOU people sent them and are still doing it. If you are that arsed stop it.

See also - the politicians who choose to abandon ex-services men and women to homelessness, unemployment, mental illness and substance abuse with little or no support. And then show symbols of a charity that wouldn't have to exist if the politicians did their jobs properly.
  • Upvote 7

Also, these rules come from IFAB, which is the only part of FIFA that the UK has any real input into

Not that it matters but IFAB and FIFA are two totally seperate bodies. IFAB establishes the rules of the game, FIFA governs it. I'm not sure why autocrats like Havelange and Blatter didn't move to dictate the rules of the game. As it is, IFAB is full of old cunts who don't watch the game, seldom meet up to discuss issues, and take a fucking age to implement any changes.

As for the poppy thing, like a lot of other things it's been taken over by the 'look at me' self-serving cunts. Everybody wants to be seen to be making a fuss of the whole thing that its true purpose has become lost in the ether. You don't need to buy or wear a poppy to acknowledge and respect the many thousands who lost their lives (on both sides) fighting someone else's war.

See also - the politicians who choose to abandon ex-services men and women to homelessness, unemployment, mental illness and substance abuse with little or no support. And then show symbols of a charity that wouldn't have to exist if the politicians did their jobs properly.

It's always pissed me off that they used to have sportsmen visiting Cameron because of some Help for Heroes charity work and no one seemed to see the need to say "hang on he's the Prime Minister and he's doing fuck all to make this charity unnecessary". 

I may be a pinko lefty liberal who thinks we shouldn't be involved in half the crap we are involved in around the globe.

However I think that if you've signed up and you get injured or suffer PTSD and struggle as a result of fighting then you should be looked after whatever the cost and there should be no need for a charity for it at all.

The saddest thing about Remembrance Day is that we're now nearly one hundred years on from the end of the war to end all wars and we still haven't learned from it.

• Upvote 2

The saddest thing about Remembrance Day is that we're now nearly one hundred years on from the end of the war to end all wars and we still haven't learned from it.

Most of the population has. They just don't have the option of electing a government that isn't in the pocket of the military industrial complex.

Just listening to last weeks Sunday supplement.

What a prick that Steve Bates is.

"It's our culture and our history" - How long have England been wearing a poppy on their kit?

"Who are FIFA to tell us we can't" - Duh, the rulers of the game you thick cunt.

And poppies were actually first sold in the US as a symbol of remembrance and brought here in the 20s.

"Who are FIFA to tell us we can't" - Duh, the rulers of the game you thick cunt.

If the FA really had some conviction we are perfectly free to leave FIFA.

You sign up to their competitions you agree to abide by their rules at that point, it's as simple as that.

The Motor Sports Association pass all sorts of rules which I think are bollocks, as competitors we voice our concerns and they carry on the rule or pull it. Either way my choice comes down to I either abide by the rules or I can't rally in Britain. There was a point the rag sponsored the British Championship, at that stage even if I had the money to do so I wouldn't have entered those events as I wouldn't have them on my car. 

If I get myself sorted and business ever gets to the point I can afford it I really want to do the European Championship, I'll have to have either a Union Jack or England flag on my car though and I'd really prefer not to as I don't particularly identify with either. However my choice is do it or not be allowed to compete. 

The FA should either put up or shut up but they won't as that would require them actually having some conviction and balls.

• Upvote 2

Not that it matters but IFAB and FIFA are two totally seperate bodies. IFAB establishes the rules of the game, FIFA governs it. I'm not sure why autocrats like Havelange and Blatter didn't move to dictate the rules of the game. As it is, IFAB is full of old cunts who don't watch the game, seldom meet up to discuss issues, and take a fucking age to implement any changes.

As for the poppy thing, like a lot of other things it's been taken over by the 'look at me' self-serving cunts. Everybody wants to be seen to be making a fuss of the whole thing that its true purpose has become lost in the ether. You don't need to buy or wear a poppy to acknowledge and respect the many thousands who lost their lives (on both sides) fighting someone else's war.

Nothing wrong with making a fuss, how is wearing a poppy making a fuss anyway? Doesn't take much effort.

This nationalist shitshow wound me up to the point where I didn't even buy a poppy, for possibly the first time ever. I fucking hate this nonsense, just like I hate the regimented approach to marking the silences I got at work (fire alarm before and after)... 

That said, if FIFA punish this more harshly than they punished racist abuse our players have faced in their games, quite clearly, in recent years or the violence in the summer, they can go fuck themselves as well.

Two sets of cunts mistaking volume for sincerity.

• Upvote 1

Just a quick word on the armed forces:

I see a sort of contract between the soldier and the country they represent. If the powers that be in said country decide to send the soldier into harms way, which to be fair is part of the job, then the powers that be have a responsibility to look after them properly. This means equipment that works and is top notch. It also means support structures in place after the fact - medical care, adequate pension scheme for people who served many years, mental health support, and all the rest of it.

To do this properly will cost a lot of money. Here's how we can do it properly:

Stay out of most of the rubbish we seem to get ourselves dragged into! There is such a thing as a just war. The public would be behind that. But war on the basis of trumped up charges, or to secure oil or other resources - no!

To my mind the armed forces should be top notch and well resourced... and used sparingly. If you get involved in numerous spurious schemes then you will get the sort of thing we now see - resources spread too thin and troops not backed adequately, before, during and after.

Addendum:

As for FIFA and the poppy, I can see the point on both sides. It's a world game, and perhaps there are plenty of countries under the FIFA banner who are less than impressed with U.K. Military policy around the world over the years. For them it might look like Empire and rubbing their noses in it.

On the other hand, if it's all about remembering the fallen, on both sides, and a time to note the sheer horror and magnitude of war, then I don't see what the problem is with that.

There's another issue with the poppy and remembrance and so on, and that's connected to the country we seem to have become say, since Diana died. I remember when grief was more of a private thing. I remember when there was such a thing as solemnity and dignity without all the fuss. I'm not so sure we have that any more.

Now there's more of an outward show, and it seems almost un-British to me. It could be one of the ramifications of how British culture has been affected by American culture for the past few decades. I'll need to think about that a bit more.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...