You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Suarez and Torres partnership we never had

Section_31

I'd rather have had the Suarez and 21 year old Fowler partnership, both were just as likely too.

Fowler wold have taken up many of the same positions as Suarez IMO, they'd have been ace but you'd have seen a lot of duplicated effort, Torres on the other hand was an out and out frontman. Like a Blackburn Shearer with ten times the finesse and skill.

I do always think what could have been! Just cant beleive he got off when we were finally in a position where we could move forward as a club. Even though Suarez has completely softened the blow of his departure im still gutted over it. It may sound gay and abit of a cliche but i did think he was made for liverpool and vice versa. But that partnership would have worked perfectly and would have been one of the worlds best. But fuck him though, leaving us for chelsea is just a shocking thing to do, will be interesting to see the reaction he gets on his return to anfield.

Not bitter but Torres turned up when he wanted to the game against Madrid being one, he worked his socks of, chased every ball and then turned up like a bitch the week after.

I know that sounds bitter but Luis does it every game, he works his arse off and I am not quite sure if they would have worked together. I honestly would think Carroll is the perfect foil but it is just not working - yet - I still think it might but then I am a believer.

Exactly.

Get behind the players we have, what's the point in re-writing history.

Of course we all think Torres-Suarez would have been ace, but it never happened and it wasn't our fault so who cares now, big fuckin deal.

Liked what I saw last night, there were signs that Carroll & Suarez can play together and Andy is starting to show he wants it. He had a pop at Agger for crossing low when he was at the far post and you can see he is desperate to make his mark.

It's been tough for Carroll, he hasn't made a good start like Torres did and the move from his comfort zone at his home club has come too soon but you get the feeling he is finally coming to terms with his situation and Kenny's refusal to allow the price tag to affect his selection has Andy champing at the bit.

Fowler wold have taken up many of the same positions as Suarez IMO, they'd have been ace but you'd have seen a lot of duplicated effort, Torres on the other hand was an out and out frontman. Like a Blackburn Shearer with ten times the finesse and skill.

Really?

I'll be honest here, my memories of Fowler in the 90's is dwindling. I just remember goals & lots of them, from anywhere on the pitch. With his left foot, right foot, head, six yards out, outside the box or off his arse. The best finisher I've ever seen in the flesh, and only the real Ronaldo I'd rate higher from the 90's-now.

The Stroppy couldn't care less Torres memory is a lot more fresh. I don't buy that he looks anywhere near like back to his best this season either.

One thing that's for sure, is the squad lacks an out and out goalscorer. I hope Carroll steps up to the plate but if he doesn't we'll need one & sooner rather then later. Suarez can't be relied upon to constantly create and finish most of our chances. even Messi would struggle in that role.

Exactly.

Get behind the players we have, what's the point in re-writing history.

Of course we all think Torres-Suarez would have been ace, but it never happened and it wasn't our fault so who cares now, big fuckin deal.

Liked what I saw last night, there were signs that Carroll & Suarez can play together and Andy is starting to show he wants it. He had a pop at Agger for crossing low when he was at the far post and you can see he is desperate to make his mark.

It's been tough for Carroll, he hasn't made a good start like Torres did and the move from his comfort zone at his home club has come too soon but you get the feeling he is finally coming to terms with his situation and Kenny's refusal to allow the price tag to affect his selection has Andy champing at the bit.

Kenny's refusal to allow the pricetag - of a player he bought - affect selection.

Like that's in any way a good thing.

Fact is, Kenny would love nothing more than Carroll tearing up trees in training and in games, but he hasn't. He's a 35m disaster area so far. I hope he starts getting some games to prove Kenny was right to pay anywhere near that sort of money, because we need him.

And let's not start a Torres comparison, Carroll will never be half the player Torres was for us.

I can remember when we swept all before us in 88 (apart from fucking Wimbledon) and got Rushie back.

Barnes Beardsley Aldridge and Rush.

People said give us the title before a ball had been kicked.

When I saw Owen at the end of 96/97 we could have sworn we'd challenge with him and Fowler up front.

And strikers tend not to 'share the love'. Collymore on his day was lethal but I don't think he ever accepted that he wasn't top dog here; what he managed in those two seasons with Fowler were still exceptional. Shame about his state of mind.

Not everything works out the way you think it will.

Torres' best work for Liverpool was as a solo striker, it's probably what's hindering him at Chelsea amongst other things.

Kenny's refusal to allow the pricetag - of a player he bought - affect selection.

Like that's in any way a good thing.

Fact is, Kenny would love nothing more than Carroll tearing up trees in training and in games, but he hasn't. He's a 35m disaster area so far. I hope he starts getting some games to prove Kenny was right to pay anywhere near that sort of money, because we need him.

And let's not start a Torres comparison, Carroll will never be half the player Torres was for us.

Sorry, dont get you - why is it anything other than a good thing that Dalglish won't allow the price of a player to determine his selection?

Of course he wants Carroll to be a success, don't we all, but it's all about the team and why should we care about the price tag if the manager doesn't?

And the OP was about Torres-Suarez so the sulking twat's replacement has to come in to the debate and I would rather support a player who - after a tough beginning - is showing every sign of wanting to be part of the team.