You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

On 02/05/2023 at 15:40, Section_31 said:

Anyone who's ever seen Star trek V - which was written during the writers' strike - will understand the importance of writers. 

Dumbo is a scab film, too (hence the flat, cheap appearance compared to the gorgeous lushness of Disney's earlier films).  It's why Walt put in the drunken clowns singing "we're going to hit the big boss for a raise".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Dumbo is a scab film, too (hence the flat, cheap appearance compared to the gorgeous lushness of Disney's earlier films).  It's why Walt put in the drunken clowns singing "we're going to hit the big boss for a raise".

Have you seen “Trumbo” with Bryan Cranston? 

This is a good link about current Hollywood writers’ strike. 

https://pluralistic.net/2023/05/06/people-are-not-disposable/

On 18/05/2023 at 08:19, Arniepie said:

Pcs have largely voted to carry it on,apart from the dwp(I think)

Genuinely didn't think it would go through)

Dwp only just fell short so are being reballoted. Some targeted action underway at hmrc at the moment from staff on the employers helpline and student loan lines until mid June 

5 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Dwp only just fell short so are being reballoted. Some targeted action underway at hmrc at the moment from staff on the employers helpline and student loan lines until mid June 

hopefully it at least brings them to the negotiaton table

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Civil servants been offered a grand a half payment and 4.5-5% pay increase

I'm guessing it's going to put to the members. 

It's not enough but without strike action,that wouldn't have been even offered 

I'll take it. It's still less than inflation and next year we won't get it but still have the effects of inflation. On flip side nurses are only getting 1500 and a 5% pay rise at minute with all the positive publicity they have so best I think we can get.

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

I'll take it. It's still less than inflation and next year we won't get it but still have the effects of inflation. On flip side nurses are only getting 1500 and a 5% pay rise at minute with all the positive publicity they have so best I think we can get.

Yep me too

Thought we would get no where near that much

And people say strikes don't work

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66188500

They'll be getting the money from forrins it appears. Excellent stuff.

He also said the government would raise over £1bn by "significantly" increasing charges for migrants coming to the UK when they apply for visas and the levy they pay to access the NHS.

My missus had to pay about £650 for her visa, and about the same again each year for the NHS surcharge. So about £2k to work here for two years. I wager "significantly" increasing this probably will have the desired effect of ensuring that doctors, nurses, engineers, scientists, and all those other pesky experts stay away. 

Presumably they'll be drastically decreasing the costs involved for studying so that the positions formally held by foreign workers will be swiftly replaced by British people.

36 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66188500

They'll be getting the money from forrins it appears. Excellent stuff.

My missus had to pay about £650 for her visa, and about the same again each year for the NHS surcharge. So about £2k to work here for two years. I wager "significantly" increasing this probably will have the desired effect of ensuring that doctors, nurses, engineers, scientists, and all those other pesky experts stay away. 

Presumably they'll be drastically decreasing the costs involved for studying so that the positions formally held by foreign workers will be swiftly replaced by British people.

Fucking hell that's bleak. We've spent an arm and a leg on these charges as well. 

Dirty Tory cunts 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/aug/11/rmt-announces-saturday-rail-strikes-in-august-and-september

Members of the biggest rail workers’ union are to stage fresh strikes in a long-running dispute over pay, jobs and conditions.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport workers’ union (RMT) said 20,000 of its members from 14 train operators would walk out on 26 August and 2 September, both Saturdays.

The union said it had been left with “little choice” but to take further action as it had seen no improved or revised offer from the Rail Delivery Group, the industry body.

The RMT general secretary, Mick Lynch, said: “The mood among our members remains solid and determined in our national dispute over pay, job security and working conditions.

The 14 train operating companies affected by the new strikes are:

• Avanti West Coast.

• Chiltern Railways.

• Cross Country Trains.

• c2c.

• East Midlands Railway.

• Greater Anglia.

• Great Western Railway.

• GTR (including Gatwick Express).

• LNER.

• Northern Trains.

• South Eastern.

• South Western Railway.

• TransPennine Express.

• West Midlands Trains.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was supposed to be in Manchester today for a birthday party, normally they cancel some trains and run a skeleton service.

All trains off today, I hope it was nothing to do with the Tory party conference in Manchester, that’d be a real shame…

Anyhows solidarity and I don’t have to see the goons I was dreading seeing. Win/win.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Belting result for the rail workers and users. 

BBC News - Plans to close rail ticket offices in England scrapped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67263931

Whilst it is great news, no doubt it will undoubtedly lead to an excuse for a massive ticket price increase, to cover the savings that were to be made.

• Upvote 1