You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal away match thread

fowler9

I was so so disappointed when we conceded that late pen. Was receiving lots of texts from Arsenal fans and then suddenly out of nothing we got this extra energy boost at the end. Real shame Suarez didn't lay off to Shelvey when he put his tight-angled shot wide, as that probably would've won us the game. However, Dirk has balls of steel and Kenny was fucking ace when he faced Wenger.

MOTM has to be young Jack Robbo for me. Amazing debut (though he got on as a sub vs Spurs last year) and Speo, Flanagan and Lucas were solid as rocks, as well.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah I get what you're saying.

I don't agree that he would get a deal elsewhere unless he accepted the PAYP contract Benitez (rightly) offered him. He had the right idea, Hodgson had the spectacularly wrong one.

The only reason he's here is because we were up shit creek last summer. On his day he's a good player but he's totally and utterly broken. The same goes for Agger, unfortunately.

Fair points. Do think it'd be worth while trying to offload him first before just releasing him. Same goes for Agger, as you rightly say.

Both could be the starters next season for us but neither have the fitness to do so.

Today was the proudest of the team I have felt for the best part of two years now I would say. To have the setbacks we had but to still believe that we could get something until the last was to great credit to the lads and to the manager who has instilled a belief which has been lacking since the back end of 2008-09. It is great to have everybody pulling in the right direction again and I for one can't fucking wait until next season.

I was dreading the last six games this season and even needed persuading to take a ticket for under half price v City last week but I took it and came out invigorated after that game and again after today I can't wait for the games to come along now even though we have nothing but pride to play for really.

The pressure is off, we know who we want to leave and who we want to stay and hopefully before the seasons end the likes of Coady, Sterling, Suso and Morgan may get a few minutes here and there and bomb the dross out which Kenny has started to gradually do. The way the youngsters have acquitted themselves over the past couple of games since Kenny introduced them after the West Brom game has been nothing short of phenomenal.

It would have been heartbreaking to have lost that game because despite the Arsenal managers sly insinuations we were well worth a point with what we had to contend with with all our substitutions being as a result of injuries.

Not everybody played well, Dirk in particular in my opinion was quite poor but he yet again showed balls of steel to slot that pen away after all the drama which preceded it. Meireles whilst being quite anonymous did a disciplined job for the team.

I am not Lucas' biggest fan by any stretch, I want to be wrong about him and will be pleased if I am (and I probably am wrong) but what a performance he put in there today. Fantastic. He is turning into a big game player against the better sides in the league. Probably similar to how United have percieved Darren Fletcher to do for them over the past couple of years after being their whipping boy (as Lucas was with us). The lad obviously has the mental toughness to have generally turn his Liverpool career around the way he has. I think he flounders against the dross though but I suppose he isn't the only one who can be accused of that so fair fucks to the lad.

Spearing again proved he is more than capable at this level, he is comfortable with his role in the squad and his confidence is visibly growing and it would have been agonising for the lad had Arsenal won the game because of the penalty as he was immense in his use of the ball and his availability to show for the ball. A very tactically aware footballer. A modern day Danny Murphy for us maybe? Someone who the manager can trust to carry out his instructions to the letter as Danny regularly did under GH back in the day.

I am fucking made up tonight. We aren't a great side by any stretch and we still have massive flaws especially with ball retention and making the right choices in forward areas and a lack of pace in attacking positions but to see two full-backs in their teens play the way they did was something which has really whetted the appetite for the last six games now for me and the level of commitment and togetherness amongst the lads which hasn't always been there over the past two seasons was something which will stand us in good stead.

Today was the proudest of the team I have felt for the best part of two years now I would say. To have the setbacks we had but to still believe that we could get something until the last was to great credit to the lads and to the manager who has instilled a belief which has been lacking since the back end of 2008-09. It is great to have everybody pulling in the right direction again and I for one can't fucking wait until next season.

I was dreading the last six games this season and even needed persuading to take a ticket for under half price v City last week but I took it and came out invigorated after that game and again after today I can't wait for the games to come along now even though we have nothing but pride to play for really.

The pressure is off, we know who we want to leave and who we want to stay and hopefully before the seasons end the likes of Coady, Sterling, Suso and Morgan may get a few minutes here and there and bomb the dross out which Kenny has started to gradually do. The way the youngsters have acquitted themselves over the past couple of games since Kenny introduced them after the West Brom game has been nothing short of phenomenal.

It would have been heartbreaking to have lost that game because despite the Arsenal managers sly insinuations we were well worth a point with what we had to contend with with all our substitutions being as a result of injuries.

Not everybody played well, Dirk in particular in my opinion was quite poor but he yet again showed balls of steel to slot that pen away after all the drama which preceded it. Meireles whilst being quite anonymous did a disciplined job for the team.

I am not Lucas' biggest fan by any stretch, I want to be wrong about him and will be pleased if I am (and I probably am wrong) but what a performance he put in there today. Fantastic. He is turning into a big game player against the better sides in the league. Probably similar to how United have percieved Darren Fletcher to do for them over the past couple of years after being their whipping boy (as Lucas was with us). The lad obviously has the mental toughness to have generally turn his Liverpool career around the way he has. I think he flounders against the dross though but I suppose he isn't the only one who can be accused of that so fair fucks to the lad.

Spearing again proved he is more than capable at this level, he is comfortable with his role in the squad and his confidence is visibly growing and it would have been agonising for the lad had Arsenal won the game because of the penalty as he was immense in his use of the ball and his availability to show for the ball. A very tactically aware footballer. A modern day Danny Murphy for us maybe? Someone who the manager can trust to carry out his instructions to the letter as Danny regularly did under GH back in the day.

I am fucking made up tonight. We aren't a great side by any stretch and we still have massive flaws especially with ball retention and making the right choices in forward areas and a lack of pace in attacking positions but to see two full-backs in their teens play the way they did was something which has really whetted the appetite for the last six games now for me and the level of commitment and togetherness amongst the lads which hasn't always been there over the past two seasons was something which will stand us in good stead.

and once again the Sky camera kept picking you out ...must've pannedonto you 4 or 5 times today ..luckily you wern't caught picking yer nose or scratching yer balls at any stage

and once again the Sky camera kept picking you out ...must've pannedonto you 4 or 5 times today ..luckily you wern't caught picking yer nose or scratching yer balls at any stage

Haha Gav I didn't go mate. Stopped doing the aways now. Hope the poor bastard wasn't as ugly as me anyway!!!

Ouch, fucking awful from Carroll today.

Mind you, it's not his head we need to find, it's his left foot we should be trying to get service to.

Suarez stinker as well. Lots of bluster but was isolated a lot.

Cannot overstate how much more dangerous we will look when we get some pace into the team this Summer. But in doing so, then what becomes of Kuyt and Ming? And what of Stevie?

Because right now, Lucas and Spearing are as good as anything in the division in the middle of the park. 100% energy, teamwork and determination.

I almost felt sad when Kuyt scored as it has all but handed 19 to the Mancs.

But, let's be honest, Arsenal didn't deserve it and if we didn't expose that then someone would have next week, or the week after.

Turned into a right carry on though, fucking injuries and players slipping all over the shop, methinks the Emirates surface isn't as good as it looks.

Gunnersaurus?

Ahahaha!. If you're going to have a mascot at least have it related to the team in some way.

I can understand not having a gun but a Dinosaur? They died out 65million years ago for goodness sake.

That's relevant though; so did Wenger's plan B.

The ref was spot on with the added time.Arses goal celebration and the wall refusing to go back 10 yards.

This came to just under 3 mins more to the 8.The peno we got was just under the added 3 mins.

Plus a peno has to be taken even if the time goes over the full amount of time added on.

As it was given before the added 3 min on top of the added 8 mins,then it had to be took,and then it is correct for the ref to end the game.

Fabregas will go and it'll be bye bye arsenal

I cant see him going though.If he has his heart set on Barca,then imo he will have to hand transfer request in.

There is no way Barca will pay anything close to Arses valuation of him.

They don t need him.So unless he hands in transfer request,and does a Mascher to get that move and Barca can get him for a seriously reduced fee,I cant see him moving,unless he goes to another club than Barca.

Agree with most of the sentiments on here - What an epic ending, never seen a better ending to the third half of a game (LOL), has there ever been a later pair of goals in a match etc. Here's a couple of view of my own;

Myself? I'm very proud and happy to see that for now at least three (possibly four if Shelvey can do better in future) of our Academy players in Flanagan, Robinson and Spearing are now for all intents and purposes integrated into and practically a part of our first team now - Keep this up with other and more attacking/technical players like Coady, Sterling, Suso etc in future? And we'll save ourselves fortunes and bolster a squad that looked like it needed wholesale demolition by transforming said squad out of all recognition. I think as well that Lucas worked like a trojan (again!!) and whilst he'll never be an Alonso? He is now starting to remind me of another of our past greats - A bit further back this time - He reminds me now a lot of Ronnie Whelan and that is as high a compliment as I can give as he was one of our best midfielders in that decade and every bit as vital to the team as Alonso was more recently.

I believe today shows to that despite all the plaudits for Lucas, Spearing etc? That this time our attack - so vibrant and electric on Monday against City - was as dead and lifeless as you can get. Yes, we now might be fighting for and getting Away results now under Kenny but? We've still a lot to learn when it comes to our rookie/understrength midfield/wingers and fullbacks putting their skills to proper use when it comes to constructing attacks as we're still badly lacking in that particular area away from home and have been since 2009. Think signings will help there but the players we have and used today as well need to mature in their use of the ball and building of attacks. On another note? Arsenal deserved what they got in terms of the title race - Fcuk all. They never subdued us or even tried to get the better of our youth team full-backs, they hammered away down the middle all day and when passing didn't work? Tried the "hoofing" their fans so deride, when they won an ill-deserved penalty after so much injury time?

Even then It still wasn't enough for them as they're basically as mentally tough as the Teletubbies - Put on a bit of pressure, stick your back up and your chest out and take the fight to them - All of which we did and? They crumble almost immediately - They find new and increasingly spectacular ways to collapse, crumble and blast themselves in the feet every fcuking season now and do it so often? That it's not even funny anymore. Today was no exception and we must have done something wrong for a few decades if we've come to relying on the footballing equivalent of marshmallows (melt in heat) to do the job of stopping them for us since as Arsene's overrated collection of pansies and showponies showed today yet again? When the pressure's on? Arsenal don't just collapse - They redefine the definition of it - Each and every bloody season. Anyway Arsenal's lack of heart and spirit was there for all to see today - yet again; For all the celebrations and relief when they scored and emphatic penalty finish of Van Persie? They created one other great chance in open play and one from a corner but couldn't take either - Nasri was dead on one flank, marked out of the match by Flanagan - The same man who took England to the cleaners in November (what does that say about Johnson BTW?) and Robinson did SO well at showing up Walcott for what he is - A speed merchant with nothing else in his locker? That he to was eventually subbed after being marked out of the match by Robinson.

I thought Jay Spearing tried to carry the attack forwards but was betrayed by the lack of movement on the wings and upfront from our moribund forward pairing unlike at Sunderland or on Monday where he ran both games in the middle. This time was different. I think today? Spearing and Lucas did a sterling job on keeping the renowned Fabregas and Wilshere (about whom the papers never shut up) under lock and key with as efficient a job of dogged, tackling, sheer bloody-minded domination as you'll see this season and unlike United or indeed us once? Arsenal never looked like finding the answer - I think the main 2 things to take from today however are quite clear - they are that we might just have found not one but two new Alvaro Arbeloa's - One for each flank in as good a pair of young full-backs as I've ever seen (Flanagan and Robinson are easily the equal of United's lauded young twins yes? I think so anyway) and if as I suspect we're to go down the 'United' route of producing the bulk of our teams 'in house' at our Academies and buying in only superstars in attack or midfield when needed? Then we appear to be well on the way to setting up a similar system to them and in the long term? This might just pay dividends for us and save us a lot of cash for areas it's more urgently required im.

However, more importantly, unavoidably and the real shame today? Well that would be that we might just have seen, nay scored a title winning goal this afternoon, from Dirk Kuyt. And I don't mean with regards to a title for us either - I think you all know what I mean and who for yes? We avoided it by the skin of our teeth and a ahem fortunate backpass last season but this time? I think what we've all feared is at hand and worse? We might just have delivered the killing blow to all who would challenge them and stop this travesty happening? Ourselves. Funnily enough I'm not to bothered for some reason given whose in charge of us and what they're doing now. Why? Well simple, as they are about to show and as we once showed to Arsenal in the 70's when they were where we are now? Taking the position they might be about to grab? Is not holding it - That is a different matter and just as they might take it now? We can (and will) take it back. We shouldn't be relying on others to stop them anyway and It's a measure of my confidence in Kenny and what he's doing that I've a feeling that any such replies will in future? Be delivered by us personally and do them a lot more damage than they might expect - I've a feeling this will happen far sooner than we think as well - A lot, lot sooner.................

Edited by Redshadow

Redder lurtz? Ignore Ekoku, he's just another anti-Liverpool, pro- everyone else prat. Even those who can't remember our best years hate and begrudge any success and the smaller the player? The bittere they are. The likes of Steve Claridge, Mark Bright and now it seems Efan Fcuking Ekoku really hate us for some unknown reason.

Anyway as to Me? I think in some sort of strange messed up Cosmic way; Arsenal are paying big time karmically this season for the last year or so (this and last season). Remember the opening day when they equalised at Anfield from a last minute defensive stuff-up and goalkeeping howler from us? Well at their place? We equalise via a (surprise, surprise) last second defensive stuff-up. Remember to last season when we should have had at least a free-kick if not a penalty on the edge of their area right at the end of the game at the Emirates? You know? The match when Webb warned us that any raised hands at a free-kick from our wall would lead to a penalty and Red Card for the offender and then? Their bloody Captain Fabregas did precisely that and we got...............nothing - Neither free-kick nor card and certainly not a penalty. Well, look at how we got our pen' today - Last minute free kick on the edge of the area, ball bounces off their player (though not his arm) and resulting scuffle leads to a penalty - Sound familiar? Should do as it's (minus the handball) what should have happened last season.

I think all that above shows that Arsenal have used their quota of 'good luck' and 'lucky escapes' up now this season and are paying back credit and boy do they not like it. Also - Remember Fabregas' slam-dunk trick in the free-kick wall? Well he got punished for that to.........eventually. He tried exactly the same thing in November last year against Spurs when Arsenal were 2 - 0 up and? The ref' this time gave a pen' which Spurs put away on their way to a comeback win which helped wreck Arsenal's home form and confidence still further at the time. Something we've now taken advantage of ourselves by drawing there and most probably inflicting the Death Blow on their Title Charge in person. There, you See? In a roundabout way - What goes around does come around. If Howard Webb had done what he should have done and sent off Fabregas whilst giving us a penalty for his ridiculous handball last February? Then he'd not have tried the same thing again against Spurs; Arsenal would then have probably gone on to win that Spurs game as easily as they've won something like the last 1,4999990 games against Spurs instead of imploding spectacularly and they'd probably have beaten us easily to yesterday instead of giving up without a fight almost when facing the massed barricades of our backline and the beast that is Reina behind said defences.

Instead of this happening though? Fabregas got away with his sneaky little handling trick on that occasion against us; Then? He tried it again against Spurs, was punished, they lost, were wrecked mentally, still are and we took full advantage yesterday by sending the Academy Under 11 side and Tiny Tots Squad to embarrass them on their own turf. Anyway, Mission Accomplished - Arsenal humiliated - Trouble is I think we have effectively just won the title in person via that one final kick of yesterday's game for the one team we'd never want to do that for. Oh well, I suppose that day had to come sooner or later and the sooner it's out the way? The sooner we can get on the road to taking our prized position back - If they can take it? Whose to say we can't take it back? No-one and nothing, that's who and one day soon? Take it back we will................

Ekoku was so one sided today it was scandalous, he should stick to what he is good at ...which is errr.....

...being a thick cunt with the IQ of a dyslexic snail, the charisma of Harold Shipman and a lower football knowledge than a lobotomised Paul Merson.

But at least he scored Norwich's first european goal, wow, fucking outstanding achievement, bow down to the football demigod that is EFAN EKOKU.