You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ashley Young or Stewart Downing

StevieH

Ashley Young or Stewart Downing for Anfield ?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Ashley Young or Stewart Downing for Anfield ?

• Ashley Young
    • Stewart Downing

It has been suggested that during the January transfer window Director of Football Damien Comolli was keen to sign Aston Villa winger Ashley Young, while manager Kenny Dalglish preferred his colleague Stewart Downing.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/nol_sport/1256198/Kenny-Dalglish-will-not-be-allowed-to-be-a-Rafa-Benitez-style-dictator-at-Liverpool.html

"......Comolli has a list of summer targets, while Dalglish has his own. In January, the director of football was keen to sign Ashley Young, while Dalglish wanted Stewart Downing.

Both will be the subject of summer bids, as will Blackpool star Charlie Adam, Bolton's Gary Cahill and Everton ace Leighton Baines."

If the likes of Eden Hazard and Alexis Sanchez are out of reach this summer, who would you prefer the club to sign if it was a straight choice between the Aston Villa pair of Ashley Young or Stewart Downing ?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Young and Downing are capable of playing on either flank and could switch flanks with Suarez if we play a 4-3-3 formation next season with Carroll through the middle.

I think it would be advantageous if we had a few more quality left footed players in our side to add balance and variety.

I doubt it. Young has only 12 months left. If villa lose Young, they won't sell Downing either.

Ah, I forgot Youngs contract situation. Then it doesn't really matter.

I don't think there's much between them ability wise. They both put in a wicked cross. Young has a bit more pace, but Downing isn't a slouch either. I don't know where people are coming from saying he's slow.

Ideally we'd sign one of them, and another with a bit more trickery in his locker.

Ah, I forgot Youngs contract situation. Then it doesn't really matter.

I don't think there's much between them ability wise. They both put in a wicked cross. Young has a bit more pace, but Downing isn't a slouch either. I don't know where people are coming from saying he's slow.

Ideally we'd sign one of them, and another with a bit more trickery in his locker.

How would you set the team up with 2 'wide' players - 4-2-3-1 ?

How would you set the team up with 2 'wide' players - 4-2-3-1 ?

Yes. Although in that case we wouldn't be able to fit all the "first teamers" in every game. We'd have Gerrard, Suarez, Downing, Hazard/Sanchez/?, Carroll and Kuyt, Meireles fighting for the front 4 positions, with Stevie and Raul also available for the 2 deep CM roles. All of them different players offering options depending on the opposition.

Yes. Although in that case we wouldn't be able to fit all the "first teamers" in every game. We'd have Gerrard, Suarez, Downing, Hazard/Sanchez/?, Carroll and Kuyt, Meireles fighting for the front 4 positions, with Stevie and Raul also available for the 2 deep CM roles. All of them different players offering options depending on the opposition.

Some great attacking options there.

I think the centre of our midfield needs addressing in the summer as well. We are far too lightweight in that area and need an Essien or a Seedorf to add a physical presence.

Some great attacking options there.

I think the centre of our midfield needs addressing in the summer as well. We are far too lightweight in that area and need an Essien or a Seedorf to add a physical presence.

I've been saying that all season. That's where the rebuilding should start imo. The problem is if we sign Adam who I'm a fan of, we need another one to compensate for his defensive deficiancies. I'm all for that, but as we probably won't have a limitless budget how will that affect the strengthening of our wide areas? Surely the likes of M'Vila or Sissoko would make us have to dig deep.

I suppose Lucas can do a decent job as the "destroyer" in certain games, but he's not good enough to be a regular starter, neither as a playmaker nor a terrier like Masch.

Downing is surprisingly only 26 and has seemingly been around forever.

Downing has been a lot more consistent than Young this season. Maybe down to the fact that Young's mind is elsewhere after he snubbed a new contract.

If Villa are relegated, which looks very possible at the moment, we might be able to get both relatively cheap.

Never been convinced about Downing. Is it me or has he been in teams that have been relegated a lot?

This season's statistics for wingers linked with us other than Hazard and Sanchez...

Player Goals Assists Price

Young 6 6 12-15

Downing 6 6 15

Jarvis 4 5 8

Dzsudzsak 15 12 9

Gervinho 12 9 14

Young has been more consistent than Downing over the years. We need a few left footers in the team though.

I really want both of these players.

Either would improve us, both could really make a difference. I agree Young is better, but will no doubt be pricey. Downing can defend and can deliver a good ball. A couple of years ago he was the best player on the pitch when they played us: attack and defence, never stopped running, constantly delivering dangerous balls into the box. His career has stalled at Villa, I agree, but he would be a good signing in my view.

I wonder if we are in for either as it looks like this Marveaux lad looks like coming and as the post earlier said we won't fit 2 wide men in but the currently piss poor squad could do with filling with players who could change a game instead of the lightweights we have at the minute.

Downing for me but it looks like utd will do their best to fuck us getting either as they will push for Young for no other reason than to prevent him coming to us as has happened before and Villa won't sell both.

Central midfield has to be our priority. We must buy a stellar performer to send a genuine message out

I think if you're looking for consistency week in week out the better option is Downing,in a way he reminds me of Beckham in the sense that he just needs half a yard and he'll deliver a cross.Has a great sense of timing and puts in a solid shift.

Young on the other hand has the trickery to beat a man,but he must before he can put the ball in the box,unlike Downing.Some games tend to pass him by.

However I think Young would suit a 4-2-3-1 system so much better because he's not as reliant on his ability to deliver a cross,definitely possesses more technical ability than Downing and therefore could fit into several positions.

But I was of the opinion that Young was almost a done deal for slur

I wonder if we are in for either as it looks like this Marveaux lad looks like coming and as the post earlier said we won't fit 2 wide men in but the currently piss poor squad could do with filling with players who could change a game instead of the lightweights we have at the minute.

Downing for me but it looks like utd will do their best to fuck us getting either as they will push for Young for no other reason than to prevent him coming to us as has happened before and Villa won't sell both.

Central midfield has to be our priority. We must buy a stellar performer to send a genuine message out

His name keeps getting mentioned but his injury record is very worrying.

Are we making the same mistake that we continually have made for the past 10 years + of signing players that look cheap but in reality will end up costing us money?

His name keeps getting mentioned but his injury record is very worrying.

Are we making the same mistake that we continually have made for the past 10 years + of signing players that look cheap but in reality will end up costing us money?

I

I agree with what you say but If the 2 signings in jan are anything to go by then maybe we are moving away from what you mention in your post.

Priorities and the money available will determine the quality we bring in as yesterdays shocking performance would indicate spending big in a number of areas diluting the funds and ending up with more 'squad players'.

Personally I hope we bring some of the kids through and buy genuine quality that will make a difference as Luis has proved. We must make the midfield our priority.

We can't afford more mistakes. If the right player isn't available we should look to other areas of the team. I'd rather we sign two hits than sign 6/7 and 4 of them are sitting in the stand.

Dowing is good enough to be a quality addition to our squad but not sure if he should be starting week in, week out.

Young is vastly over-rated by many and I wouldn't want him starting every week for us but neither do I think he'd be happy not to be doing so.

I'd want better quality than both for the right of a front three but I'd deffo look at adding someone like Downing/Jarvis etc that can add depth and quality to the squad.

Neither. Jarvis is younger, cheaper and for my money just as good as both and from what I've seen Dzudsak and Gervinho look better players.

Young was on his way to being a quality player but got lost along the way so he represents the better "gamble" than Downing who I don't believe will ever be more than he is now, so if I had to pick it would be Young.

I'd rather we try for Milner and Johnson if we are really going English.