You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PS3 Headsets

Chairman Meow

Does anybody have any recommendations for a head set. I got a Gioteck EX 01 when I first got MW2 but I'm not very impressed with it thus far.

It doesn't power up at times and if it ever runs flat it has to be registered with the PS every time. I don't know if it is the power button on the head set not working or just that the head set itself isn't very good.

What are you lot using? Obviously being a tight arse I don't want to spend a fortune but want to try and get something a bit more reliable than what I have.

I'm impressed by those ones also like the fact they are powered by the system rather than chargeable.

When it's working the Gioteck one is OK but it's a pain in the arse in general.

I think I'll treat myself to them, I want to get a keyboard for it as well because it's a pain in the arse trying to type messages in using the controller.

Edit: Anybody got opinions on keyboards for it? I was looking at the original sony one but then thought it would be better just going for a cheapy bluetooth one, I only would really use it for when I message you lot on there as my pc is right next to the ps3 so I always use the laptop for any other general stuff requiring typing.

Definitely go for the Turtle Beach. It would take you 2 mins of using them playing CoD to realise they are worth it. The clarity of footstep sounds and the like is amazing.

It's in my basket on Amazon now, just trying to decide on a keyboard option now. Since my annoyances with the hacked lobbies I've been getting really in MW2 again but getting frustrated without the headset working right. Been a few games when it would have been very useful.

Just bought the sony one for my lads. Hope it works ok for them

My mate has the normal Sony one and hasn't had any problems with it. The one I had problems with is the Gioteck which is a 3rd party one. I would guess from Byrnie and Al the Turtle Beach ones will lend themselves towards helping provide an edge in CoD.

My mate has the normal Sony one and hasn't had any problems with it. The one I had problems with is the Gioteck which is a 3rd party one. I would guess from Byrnie and Al the Turtle Beach ones will lend themselves towards helping provide an edge in CoD.

They play mainly Uncharted 2 and MAG. He wanted that rather than the full on headphones.

Turtle Beach ones ordered. Didn't bother with a keyboard as I would rather put the money towards L.A. Noire and the new Dirt when they come out.

Any USB keyboard will do the trick mate, you may just need an extension for the USB lead, depending on the distance between yourself and the PS3 obviously....

Didn't realise they recognised USB ones. That only requires a trip into the loft to drag one down then.

If it doesn't work, then all you've done is made a trip up to the loft.

There are a few keyboards out there for the PS3, most of which are wireless, and may set you back between £15 and £50.

This is the one I was looking at a while back, Logitech Cordless Mediaboard, but it was never in stock at the time.

41nrMxz9ntL.jpg

In the end I went for the controller thumbpad keyboard thing. It's not too bad, but it's not too great either. I end up just using the controller and on screen keyboard instead, as I find it quicker than using the thumbpad.

ps3_controller_keyboard_01.jpg

Headset has arrived this morning. I'll be out most of the day so will be trying it out when I get back later.

I haven't had a chance to try a keyboard yet. Interesting you found the controller one slow, I was dubious as it looked very fiddly to me and I suspected I would have issues using it effectively. For how much I actually type it isn't a huge issue anyway hence just wanting a cheap keyboard.

Just had my first game with it.

Fucking hell, I'm hearing stuff in game just in terms of general sound effects like the way the rain actually changes in sound for the first time! Need to play with adjusting it a bit to get it right sound wise, as the extra sounds have been confusing me, gun sounds and everything are so much better with this. Well chuffed with it after only one TDM.

• 1 year later...
Came across these on Argos' website. Great price at £39.99 and deffo worth investing in for anyone who wants a quality gaming headset.

PX21andAmp2.jpg

Buy Turtle Beach PX21 Gaming Headset for PS3 and Xbox 360 at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for PS3 accessories, PS3 accessories, PS3 accessories, PS3 headsets.

I second this recommendation. If you're after a headset without spending a small fortune, then this is the headset for you. Best budget headset around without question.

My P21's are upstairs on my other PS3, and I have Tritton AX720 (Black Ops Edition) downstairs on my main PS3, (at the moment).

As I now have the 360 as well, (again), I'll be shifting the Trittons over to that machine, with the intention of getting a new headset for the main PS3.

Looking to invest in the Turtle Beach PX5 next:

41EAyA6pZtL.jpg

EDIT: I should add that I intend to set up the 360 on it's own HD monitor, tucked away in another part of me living room.