You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When did it become socially acceptable to talk with your mouth full?

Original202

I don't know if I'm alone in noticing this, but it seems people are doing this a lot more than they ever used to - and it's disgusting.

When I was growing up I was always told off for talking at the dinner table with a mouthful of food, it's just basic manners not to do it isn't it? Yet I see it constantly in tv programmes and films, I've heard people doing it on the radio and you see it all the time in cafes and on trains and buses. I had the misfortune recently of sitting opposite someone on the train who was talking on his mobile whilst eating chicken drumsticks. What sort of cunt eats them on the train anyway?

Is it another symptom of people believing they have no time to do anything and that they're so under pressure that they can't even hold off talking for a minute or two whilst they stuff a pasty down their gob? Or have standards just slipped so much that basic manners aren't considered important anymore and that they're only something middle class people bother with? After all, the more you swear, the more gas that emanates from either top or bottom orifice and the less arsed you are about everything the more working class (And therefore cool) you appear.

I can even remember a time when it was considered quite unacceptable to eat whilst walking or sat out on the street. Not as rude as eating with your mouth full or anything, but still not something that was considered totally normal. Now you can't move for people stuffing their face with food.

Is it too much to ask for people to eat with a bit of grace or am I just being a middle class cunt?

No, you're not. Its a disgusting habit, but i've noticed more and more people are doing it. Kids especially.

I still don't like the eating whilst walking thing for much other then snacks such as fruit or ice cream type thing too.

The other one is saying 'what' instead of 'pardon'.

Never has never will be. I've even had a go at other people for doing it. My kids don't dare do it not even with gum and don't even get me started on gum.

It's lazyness on the part of the parents for not draggin them up with any manners. There is a complete disrespect for adults by alot of youngsters these days too.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Not sure what's worse: Is it the agony of waiting and watching somebody chomp through their entire mouth full of grub only to say 'yeah, maybe', or is it seeing somebody with some food in their mouth?

Both shit. My advice is to eat alone at all times.

Both shit. My advice is to eat alone at all times.

This is excellent advice. Though I'm also gluten for punishment in that I regularly watch Come Dine with Me.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I can even remember back in the days of primary school that teachers and dinner ladies would give people a bollocking in the school dining room if they were doing it. I doubt a dinner lady would be allowed any power at all these days.

Absolutely disgusting habit but cant say I've noticed that its becoming more common.

Eating whilst walking is also a big no no. There have been a couple of occasions where I've had no choice but to eat something whilst walking and I have actually felt totally ashamed. I felt like a peasant and was literally hanging my head in shame.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

my mrs does this all the time to the point where i have to tell her to shut up and eat your dinner. She does talk a hell of a lot tho.

Guest ShoePiss
"Pardon" & "Pardon me" are as rude as "what?". It's a command rather than a request' date=' so you're supposed to say "I beg your pardon".

This has literally been beaten into me by my Aunt after many years of saying "pardon"...[/quote']

Yer wha?

I sat on the tram yesterday on the way to work, reading my book, but couldn't concentrate and was trying not to boil into a rage because of the disgusting filth of a woman infront of me, chewing her gum with her mouth wide open, popping bubbles, completely oblivious to the fact that she looked absolutely repulsive. I don't get it at all. It's not a middle class thing, people just can't be arsed with manners.

And while we're on the subject, I find myself turning proper Victor Meldrew these days when people don't say thankyou for letting them pass first on narrow pavements or into shops. I know it makes me a proper cock for doing it but I can't help but say, "Oh, no worries" in a sarcy voice.

And while we're on the subject, I find myself turning proper Victor Meldrew these days when people don't say thankyou for letting them pass first on narrow pavements or into shops. I know it makes me a proper cock for doing it but I can't help but say, "Oh, no worries" in a sarcy voice.

I do that. Usually force a smile and just say "You're welcome". Though most people have their head down and their iPod headphones in anyway so they don't even notice. It is nice when you get an acknowledgement though, it doesn't take much. It's the sort of little thing which makes your day that little bit nicer if someone says thank you or when someone holds a door open for you.

There was a lad at work who used to chomp away on bag after bag of crisps with his mouth open. It drove me crazy. He'd ignore requests to stop so I began to carry some cinnamon in a bag around with me in my fleece pocket.

When i'd catch him eating with his mouth open id sneak behind him and chuck a handful of the stuff into his open mouth, thus giving him a coughing fit and ruining his food. After the second time it stopped.

I think this idea could really take off.