You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Terry News Conference

Madness

You think? Seems to me Terry has a pretty good idea what the media have been making of the situation and pulled this stunt to distance himself from Capello and everything he's perceived to be doing wrong. So that when England crash and burn, and there's a change of manager, that he'll be who everyone wants as Captain again. It's disgusting, and it'll probably work.

I agree. Funny how all these players clamouring for Cole would never dream of telling Capello to drop the piss-poor Lampard to accommodate him (Gerrard alongside Barry; Cole off Rooney). The 'senior players' would never stand for that because, y'know, his mum died and he loved his mum and when he scores he "does it for Pat".

Guest ShoePiss
There's a rumour going about some forums that Rooney and Terry came to blows tonight and that Rooney pretty much knocked him out.

Probably nothing in it, but worth mentioning nonetheless.

Thanks for mentioning it, I'm just going to blindly believe it because I like it.

There's a rumour going about some forums that Rooney and Terry came to blows tonight and that Rooney pretty much knocked him out.

Probably nothing in it, but worth mentioning nonetheless.

Please let this be true!

Oh and according to the Independent:

Much of Terry's frustration seems to be connected to a misunderstanding on his part when he was sacked by Capello as captain in February that led him to believe that he could one day get the job back. He was understood to be furious when Capello named Steven Gerrard as the replacement for the injured Rio Ferdinand this month

He's such a fucking tool. I distinctly remember a quote from Capello where he says that Terry will never captain England again under his regime. Mongo will do anything it seems for the fucking armband, even to the detriment of the team.

I was speaking to my dad about this today, he said can you imagine Bill Shankly holding crisis talks with the team? He said no, he'd say if you've got a problem playing under me, theres the door.

Better approach then the 'pally pally' managers, perhaps not as effective as finding a happy balance between being feared and being liked.

Think about the managers who have managed to get the most out of you?

Guest PurpleNose
I was speaking to my dad about this today, he said can you imagine Bill Shankly holding crisis talks with the team? He said no, he'd say if you've got a problem playing under me, theres the door.

Suprised Capello has put up with as much as he has. Partly down to managing a nation other than your own possibly.

Different for a national coach, though. Especially an England coach - the pool of, er, talent is limited and with the sort of characters knocking about that dressing room if you ostracise one 'big name' you risk ostracising half of your first XI.

Excellent. One thing I love about that is the way he pushes against the guys sat next to him to get up when he's sat down. He doesn't seem to give a fuck about annoying them, he's just that pissed off at what he's seeing on the pitch to care. Apart from the people he's picking and the formations, etc, he seems like a proper character.

And totally agreed with whoever it is that said he's the only person that seems to really give a fuck.

Haha! Just watched it again and he virtually twats Pearce and the other guy in the first few seconds. Awesome.

Excellent. One thing I love about that is the way he pushes against the guys sat next to him to get up when he's sat down. He doesn't seem to give a fuck about annoying them, he's just that pissed off at what he's seeing on the pitch to care. Apart from the people he's picking and the formations, etc, he seems like a proper character.

And totally agreed with whoever it is that said he's the only person that seems to really give a fuck.

Haha! Just watched it again and he virtually twats Pearce and the other guy in the first few seconds. Awesome.

That's funny as fuck. The two of them keep shitting themselves a little bit everytime he does it as well.

I love how he's just screaming "Pass de ball" over and over again at them.

Proper good that.

Suprised Capello has put up with as much as he has. Partly down to managing a nation other than your own possibly.

I also think that unlike his playing staff he's not disconnected from reality and knows that you don't always get what you want, but you can't throw your toys out of the pram in response.

He comes across as a decent guy trapped in a situation full of bad bellends, I don't think any of us would last more than a few minutes in Mongo's company without wanting to inflict grievous bodily harm on that twat, so for him to stick it out for almost a month...increase his pay, I say.

More weird stuff at this World Cup. Now that the "captain in his mind" has spoken, what about the captain of the team. Why not come out and make this even weirder. Anyway, I dislike the senior sources and the senior players. Let the manager manage, that will be enough for me.

Am starting to think that Terry isn't as bad as we make him out to be in this situation. Ok, he might be a twat and has done several fucked up things in the past, but in this situation I think he's just voicing some of the problems the players have, and is basically speaking out on behalf of several players in the squad who aren't happy with how Capello is going about managing things. (saying it's just the chelsea players is plain bullshit the way I see it, even if I thought that myself earlier.) It really does seem like there's a decent sized split between the manager and players here, and only time will tell whether or not they manage to sort it out.

I've got to the point that I just don't want to see Capello fall in the group stages more than the players at times, but it looks like they're both going to have to give some ground and meet somewhere near the middle, or we'll be the next France. Saying that though I don't want the team to go out on wednesday and show passion, etc, I just want them to calm down and use their fucking heads. Am also starting to think that maybe the players fear is down to Capello to some degree. If he's going as mental as he is doing on the touchline, fuck knows what they have to face in the dressing room!

Basically I think the manager and squad should drop this english passion cliche and just use their heads. Passion might get you riled up, but if you're riled up without using your head there's no fucking point, and that's possibly why Capello is going so mad during each game at what he's watching his team do.

I think he has the head at times and the team have the passion, and they should really meet in the middle.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Terry has definitely done Gerrard over. He was serving his own agenda yesterday. Went as far as to say I was born to do this. So, in his own eyes, along with a few others, he's still the captain really. Not hard to see him intimidating others in the dressing room.

Still Gerrard should not have let him stage that little coup.

How about letting the manager pick the team and tactics? After all he'll still have a job or get sacked depending on the outcome....

The players will still be there, but I guess they think that he might ruin their last chance of sucess at a national level....

FFS - the national team is not a democracy, in much the same way as an army.... The minute soldiers/players start second guessing the managers/officers it all goes down the drain...

That's why you need to pick the right manager in the first place! Is Capello the right man?

Time will tell...

England divided: how Terry tried to organise coup against Capello

Chelsea man sought to take advantage of Italian's weakness after dismal Algeria draw

Sam Wallace in Phokeng

Monday, 21 June 2010

When John Terry first came into the media centre at England's Royal Bafokeng training ground yesterday he began his round of press conferences talking like the archetypal loyal player defending a manager who has come under pressure after a run of bad results.

By the end of an hour he had promised personally to challenge Fabio Capello in last night's team meeting and revealed how he had insisted to the Italian's backroom staff that the players should be allowed to relax with a beer after the draw with Algeria. As Terry's comments filtered back almost immediately to his team-mates just a few hundred yards away in their hotel there was disbelief.

The players were astonished that Terry, never the most popular man in the camp, had revealed private details about the team. That he had positioned himself as the man to rescue England by taking on Capello, when most of the squad feel that Terry is as much to blame for some of the problems, invoked anger and dismay in the players.

By last night the former England captain found himself isolated for what looked like an attempted coup on the authority of the manager who sacked him as England captain just four months ago. Another extraordinary day in the life of England's faltering World Cup campaign ended with Terry being told not to speak out at last night's team meeting.

Ahead of Wednesday's game with Slovenia, yesterday was judged as critical for the Football Association to get back on track after Saturday's desperate draw with Algeria. Capello had emerged from the Wayne Bridge saga and Terry's sacking to great public acclaim at expense of the player himself. Terry, who still denies the alleged affair with Bridge's ex-fiancee Vanessa Perroncel, was not the obvious candidate to be on-message with Capello.

Instead, the circumstances gave Terry his chance to even the score with a man who, having once ruled with an iron fist, was now at his lowest ebb since becoming England manager. It was with the polished diplomacy of a master politician, rather than a Premier League footballer, that Terry stuck the knife in.

He started innocuously enough, claiming he was there "on behalf of the team" and was "not going to question the manager". Terry said: "All I can say is we're all fully behind him. Since the manager's come in he has had his ways and his philosophies and his ideas that he's brought to the side, and it's worked in the campaign. So nothing should change there. We shouldn't be looking at excuses or to criticise the manager."

The performance against Algeria was, he said, "totally unacceptable". He invoked the example of the 1990 World Cup finals when the England team drew their first two games against the Republic of Ireland and the Netherlands and still went on to have a successful tournament. If they failed against Slovenia on Wednesday he promised, to be "the first out the dressing room" to take responsibility.

"We really need to go out there [against Slovenia] and just think: 'Sod it, we've got one game where we can make or break our tournament.' It's been five weeks that I've been away from my family and I've come here to win this tournament. I don't want to go home on Wednesday. I'm here to win it."

So far, so good. But then, very subtly, the tone of Terry's words started to change. The promises to challenge Capello's authority became ever bolder and he projected himself as the key figure in the England dressing room rather than Capello.

Asked whether the players could have a discussion with Capello about tactics, Terry struck. He said: "We have done in the past, and will do if we feel it needs to be done. We've got a meeting tonight to watch the game and see where we went wrong. As a group of players, we owe it to ourselves and to everyone in the country that, if we feel there's a problem, there's no point in keeping it in. If we have an argument with the manager and it upsets him – us expressing our opinions – everyone needs to get it off his chest. That's exactly what we'll do."

That was Terry's first shot across the bows of Capello's regime. Asked whether he still felt like the leader of the team he shot back "100 per cent ... No one will take that away from me. I was born to do stuff like that". Again on Capello and the meeting last night he again laid down a challenge to his manager. "Everyone needs to voice their opinion. If it upsets him [Capello] or any other player, so what?"

By the time Terry took his seat with the newspaper reporters he was in full flow. He revealed that a group of players led by him had petitioned Capello's chief aide, the general manager Franco Baldini, to let them drink a beer in the hotel after the game against Algeria. Terry said: "I don't want to say it was me but I went to see Franco after the game and said, 'Look, let everyone have a beer and speak to the manager. Flipping hell, let's just switch off'."

With every little detail, Terry was undermining the framework of Capello's carefully constructed authority. In February when he was sacked as captain, all the power was concentrated on Capello, the man who had led England to the World Cup after their Euro 2008 qualifying failure. Fast-forward four months and it is Terry in the position of power. Capello is on the brink of a humiliating World Cup exit and with three of his four first-choice centre-backs out of Wednesday's game he needs Terry more than ever.

Terry became ever more indiscreet. "You don't see the side of him [Capello] storming around the dressing room kicking and throwing things," Terry said. "He shows that real passion." Was that a compliment or a criticism? Later he said that Capello had been "more relaxed" in recent days, making small-talk with him over the vineyard he had visited on his day off on Saturday.

Then we were back to the meeting again. "The manager has organised it like we normally do. Two days after [the game] we'll go through the video," Terry said. "We are in a meeting with the manager, whether he starts it or finishes it, the players can say how they feel and if it upsets him then I'm on the verge of just saying: 'You know what? So what? I'm here to win it for England'.

"He's feeling the same, the players are feeling the same and if we can't be honest with each other then there's no point in us being here. It's the same at Chelsea. I might say something to Carlo [Ancelotti] in a meeting in front of the players that he doesn't like, but we walk out of the meeting and it's forgotten.

"You can't hold grudges. I'm doing the best for Chelsea, if I say something [in the meeting] – and I probably will and a few others will – then I'm doing the best for England. As I said before, I'm doing it for my country."

By the end, Terry, normally a fairly hesitant performer in press conferences, was speaking fluently and confidently. He had judged that he could take liberties with a wounded Capello but he had not reckoned with the reaction of his team-mates.

Trouble for Terry as coup plan backfires

Former captain's positioning as leader of rebellion against Capello angers team-mates

By Sam Wallace and Ian Herbert in Phokeng

Monday, 21 June 2010

England's desperate World Cup campaign was thrown into further disarray yesterday when an attempted challenge by John Terry on Fabio Capello's authority was met with an angry backlash by the former captain's team-mates.

Terry, who was sacked by Capello as captain in February, promised in his press conference yesterday that he would challenge his manager in last night's crucial team meeting and said that he did not care if he "upset" the Italian. But his comments at the press conference, which were watched live by England players on television prompted derision and disbelief among the squad.

Apparently emboldened by the weakness of Capello's position after draws against the United States and Algeria, Terry, who was sacked as captain in February over the Vanessa Perroncel scandal, said that he was ready for a no-holds-barred team meeting at the team's Royal Bafokeng base. He said: "If it upsets him [Capello] then I'm on the verge of just saying: 'You know what? So what? I'm here to win it for England.'"

Having positioned himself earlier in the day as the man to take on Capello at all costs and claiming that he would challenge him over tactics when the meeting took place, The Independent understands that Terry said nothing to the manager last night. He was forewarned by Capello's coaching staff that it would not go down well.

Capello's staff and many of his senior players were astonished that, three days ahead of the crunch game with Slovenia, Terry had put himself up as their leader and the man to challenge the manager. There are misgivings among the players about the boredom they endure spending enforced periods "resting" in their rooms but they do not believe that Terry has the right to become their unofficial spokesman.

Many of them also privately noted that Terry had been disruptive himself in recent weeks. There was also disquiet that Terry had made public the fact that the players were allowed to have a beer in their hotel after the Algeria game – given that it was a private moment and could be misinterpreted by an already disillusioned English football public.

Terry said: "We've got a meeting [last night] to watch the game and see where we went wrong. As a group of players, we owe it to ourselves and to everyone in the country that, if we feel there's a problem, there's no point in keeping it in. If we have an argument with the manager and it upsets him – us expressing our opinions – everyone needs to get it off his chest. That's exactly what we'll do."

Later he said again that he was going to tell Capello where he was going wrong. "We are in a meeting with the manager, whether he starts it or finishes it, the players can say how they feel and if it upsets him then I'm on the verge of just saying: 'You know what? So what? I'm here to win it for England. He's feeling the same, the players are feeling the same and if we can't be honest with each other then there's no point in us being here."

Terry also said that he had been instrumental in persuading Capello and his key assistant Franco Baldini, the team's general manager, to relax one of their main rules after the Algeria game and allow the players to drink alcohol. Terry presented himself as the prime mover in forcing Capello and Baldini to back down.

Terry said: "I don't want to say it was me but I went to see Franco after the game and said 'Look, let everyone have a beer and speak to the manager. Flipping hell, let's just switch off'. We did. It was nice to see that side of the manager. Obviously it was his birthday. He was sitting there with a bottle of red wine with the staff and it was nice."

He added: "There was me, Lamps [Lampard], Wazza [Rooney], Aaron Lennon, Jamo [James], Crouchy, Jonno [Johnson], Jamie Carragher, Stevie [Gerrard], probably a couple more. The staff were there. They were having a glass of wine and the medical team, who obviously work very hard as well, and everyone was just sort of unwinding, which was nice."

"Since we have been here I know me and other lads have been to him [Capello] and Franco and asked for certain things. Sometimes it is a 'Yes', sometimes it is a 'No'. More football than anything else. [At the meeting] if we see anything that needs to be changed we will go and do our job whether he says 'Yes' or 'No'. It is down to the manager at the end of the day and he will make the final decision."

There are understood to be concerns that Terry's behaviour within the camp has been disruptive over the World Cup campaign. He has had differences of opinion on the training ground with members of Capello's staff.

Much of Terry's frustration seems to be connected to a misunderstanding on his part when he was sacked by Capello as captain in February that led him to believe that he could one day get the job back. He was understood to be furious when Capello named Steven Gerrard as the replacement for the injured Rio Ferdinand this month.

surely if all true Fabio wouldnt have let him do the press conference

Maybe what he told Capello he would say was, shall we say, a little bit different to what he actually went on to say?

There'd have been fuck all Capello could do once Mongo started, he could hardly march out there and grab him by his big fucking stupid head and drag him out.

Am starting to think that Terry isn't as bad as we make him out to be in this situation. O

in this situation I think he's just voicing some of the problems the players have, and is basically speaking out on behalf of several players in the squad who aren't happy with how Capello is going about managing things.

I've got to the point that I just don't want to see Capello fall in the group stages more than the players at times, but it looks like they're both going to have to give some ground and meet somewhere near the middle, or we'll be the next France.

He is as bad as you make out as his actions are self-motivated.

Capello is a great manager - his reputation will not be tainted by failing to qualify England for the knock out stages. Gerrard, Terry and others will have their reputations diminished though.