You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Aldridge: I’d have to Kop it against Chelsea

lfcwonderboy1

I’M not sure which way it will go against Chelsea on Sunday.

As a Liverpool fan I never want us to lose. At the same time I’m sure none of us want to stand by and watch Manchester United overhaul our record number of league titles.

I don’t believe we’ll get fourth place now anyway so I’m not sure the Chelsea result will have any real bearing for us. Does Rafa Benitez decide to give the likes of Dani Pacheco and the other young lads the chance to experience playing against Chelsea, or does he go for it and play his strongest side?

All I know is that if I was out there and we got a penalty in the 89th minute to make it 1-1, there’s only one place it’s going. Right in the top corner – of the Kop!

I wonder what Stevie would be thinking.

If we got a pen in the last minute and missed it it is going to look transparent as fuck if it is a daisy cutter which Cech could save by doing the moonwalk across the line or if it is blasted over the bar in to row z of the Kop or Anny Road. We could be in the shit if something like that happens.

Bet Stevie has been on to JT and Frank telling them to tell Cech what way to dive should we get a pen and he hits it with a bit of power at least Cech will know what way to dive if Stevie places it close to the keeper enough.

As a Liverpool fan I never want us to lose. At the same time I’m sure none of us want to stand by and watch Manchester United overhaul our record number of league titles.

We've been standing by and watching for the last 20 years, John.

If we got a pen in the last minute and missed it it is going to look transparent as fuck if it is a daisy cutter which Cech could save by doing the moonwalk across the line or if it is blasted over the bar in to row z of the Kop or Anny Road. We could be in the shit if something like that happens.

Bet Stevie has been on to JT and Frank telling them to tell Cech what way to dive should we get a pen and he hits it with a bit of power at least Cech will know what way to dive if Stevie places it close to the keeper enough.

About Moscow 2008?

Lads we haven't even seen how tomorrow's matches will end up. What if we do still have a good chance of getting 4th place? Do you really want us to lose just to stop the Mancs from winning their 19th championship until next year? Personally, I don't give a fuck anymore. I just want to worry about us. We've enough to fucking worry about without that lot.

I want us to win on Sunday. I want Villa to beat City and Bolton to beat Spurs. Maybe if City and Spurs both win and it really starts to look like we have no more chance of getting 4th I will change my mind. Maybe. But either way, I'll be gutted if we lose, no matter what it means to anyone else.

There is a very unhealthy obsession with the Mancs on here. It was okay when we were fighting them for the title last year, but now it's just strange. Every thread about them/their matches goes to 13 pages and we now have fans openly hoping that we don't win because it might affect their season.

Oh no, they might take our record. Whatever will we do then?

We're going to have to come to terms with the fact that it wont be our record for much longer (and it already fucking isn't. Its ours AND theirs). We have no one, as a club, to blame but ourselves.

Liverpool FC needs rebuilding from bottom to top. Hopefully some day soon we can be on the brink of taking the record back. But we are absolutely going to lose it, without a shadow of a doubt. There is no way we will win the league again before the Mancs do it.

Get the fuck over it and get yourself ready to drag this club back up the mountain again.

We're going to have to come to terms with the fact that it wont be our record for much longer (and it already fucking isn't. Its ours AND theirs). We have no one, as a club, to blame but ourselves.

Liverpool FC needs rebuilding from bottom to top. Hopefully some day soon we can be on the brink of taking the record back. But we are absolutely going to lose it, without a shadow of a doubt. There is no way we will win the league again before the Mancs do it.

Get the fuck over it and get yourself ready to drag this club back up the mountain again.

Aye to this.

I am ashamed to say. I am starting to feel a certain ambivalence to tomorrows game.

At first I was steadfastly supportive of a victory. I always want to win at everything. But now I am loving the prospect of playing a really weakened team and then giving tongue-in-cheek justification to the Mancs by saying "We didn't throw the game. We only did what Wolves did at Old Trafford".

Guest Pistonbroke

After the season we've had i bet most would be more gutted if the Mancs won the title, more so than a defeat to the Chavs in a meaningless end of season game. We don't have a hope in hell of landing 4th apart from those who believe in unlikely mathematical possibilities. I just wished Man City hadn't let that last minute goal in and the whole scenario would be different. I wouldn't be feeling all this pain about not giving a shit about a result against another team regardless of who they are.

In a role reversal i dare say the manc fans wouldn't even be feeling any guilt. The bastards would probably be too busy thinking up some shite song to have a dig.

Aldridge does my head in to be honest.

Personally, I don't give a fuck anymore. I just want to worry about us. We've enough to fucking worry about without that lot.

I want us to win on Sunday.

All this. Aldridge is now just a parody of himself as a 'commentator' and as much as the team needs a fresh start next season, so does Radio City and the Echo. As for the game tomorrow, I hope we go out and give them the hardest game possible and go all out for the win. I'd prefer the Mancs to fuck it up themselves (as in 1995) rather than worry about how our result might affect them.

You could stand 20 years ago? Aldridge is wrong, we should try to win. If they win by playing better, so be it. Otherwise, we should try to beat them to pulp.

I don't think that we can beat Chelsea anyway, but I hope that we do because I never want our team to lose at home/lose to Chelsea or any other team for that matter. The Mancs will win 19, whether it's this season or next or two seasons from now. I really don't give a shit about Man Utd anymore. Stop obsessing. I simply want us to be in a position to win.

The problem we have is not one of our current squad has contributed to that record so it no doubt means less to them than it would if they had (not detracting from the importance it holds for everyone obviously). We won't throw the game on Sunday, the suggestion is quite laughable considering beating them under any circumstances currently would be a massive achievement.

I see it like this. With the state of the club at the moment, it looks pretty certain that the mancs are going to win another title before we do. If that's how it's going to be, I'd rather get it out of the way because it's turning into an albatross around our necks now. I never thought I'd be reading about fans and former players wanting us to bin a game to prevent the mancs winning something, I want us to win every match we play.

The mancs aren't so close to catching us because of this season. They aren't so close to it because of Rafa, Ged, Roy Evans, Souness, the yanks, Parry or Moores - it's down to all of them and others as well. Everyone involved with the club over the last twenty years has to accept a small portion of the blame. You reap what you sow.

I can accept us losing matches. I can accept us losing records. Throwing this match would see us finally and irrevocably lose the last vestiges of our dignity and I can't accept that.

But why should we win it for them? I can live with a defeat, it would be one of at least 20 this season.

Grow up! We're not winning anything for them. We're trying to do what Liverpool Football Club is all about - winning a game of football.

If they win it it's because they have been the best side for 38 games. Simple.

How can we have any pride if we bend over for the likes of JT, lampard and the rest and just ask them to be gentle...