You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Managers scouting opposition

Furmedge

Was having a think before when I saw Moyes at Stamford Bridge scouting Chelsea, that I don't think I've seen Benitez in the stands featuring an upcoming opponent. I'm not having a pop, it just occurred to me that you never see a camera zooming onto Rafa at other grounds.

Does he trust his scouting system so much or does he think he can get what he needs from watching tapes over and over again? Personally I think you get a better view of the game actually being there and seeing the entire pitch and players movement off the ball rather than the Sky angles, but if it works for him then fair enough.

You're doubting Rafa Benitez watches teams before we play them? Rafa Benitez? Rafael Benitez? Rafael Benitez, the spanish manager? Rafael "Rafa" Benítez Maudes? That one? The one who manages Liverpool?

I highly doubt he even thinks about the opposition before we play them let alone picking his team for who we're playing.....

Oh wait.

That Macia cunt should be out and about on Saturdays scouting opposition teams and players but from what I am told he is always at our home games.

Yeah? I think I always assumed Macia just pissed about in Spain – with the occasional trip to a big European game when he fancied a nice little citybreak.

If you need to scout Chelsea 3 days before you play them, then you're probably a bit of a thicko.

You could probably say that about most opposition teams, if a manager that's been in a league for 3+ years doesn't know enough about most teams he faces, then he ain't up to much.

If you need to scout Chelsea 3 days before you play them, then you're probably a bit of a thicko.

Quite. If attending that match told him anything about Chelsea that he didn't know already, then I would be worried.

With the technology available these days, managers actually attending the game to watch future opposition seems almost quaint.

We have a team of scouts who watch opposition teams every week. Mike McGlynn is in charge of it. Dave McDonough does the technical analysis.

Piss easy job,that. I'd be shocked if it was anymore than them repeating, every week, that we should give the ball to Torres and ,for the love of fuck, not play Lucas.

Another example of Rafa wasting resources.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Yeah, if only Rafa was more meticulous!

I thought the common consensus was that he's too cautious and should just "go" for teams and let them worry about us?

It's as if the run to Istanbul and Athens never happened