You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

I'd recommend watching this video to anyone who wants to lose weight before they go taking advice from other people.

Even if you end up thinking it's bollocks, it's still quite interesting although it is over an hour long.

Anyway, it doesn't have a diet plan or anythng like that in it, just research and it's what I used to help plan my diet over the last few weeks and even though I cracked a few times and fell off it, I still lost the amount of weight I wanted to which means I can now just look at maintaining this weight through exercise and eating sensibly.

So you don't at much carbs?

So you don't at much carbs?

That's right. I didn't bother saying Atkins because people often get all flippy about it but the truth is, I went beyond atkins and ate no carbs at all (where possible) for 2 weeks. Actually that's a lie cause I fell off the wagon and ate loads of chocolate 2 nights running but I just picked up where I left off.

After 14 days of really trying to avoid carbs which included the 2 days of eating chocolate, I lost almost a stone.

Now I've reintroduced them but I'm still not eating bread, rice, pasta or sugar.

Everything else is fair game and I feel I can do the rest just with exercise.

Also, apart from the cravings, I didn't notice a single negative health effect during the period. If anything I felt better as I was avoiding gluten which often leaves me feeling really bloated and heavy.

Guest TK-421

I did the Atkins diet for a laugh for a couple of months.

You shed tonnes of weight very quickly, then put it all on extra fast as soon as you come off it.

As long as you realise it was far more muscle, rather than fat you lost, Gaz. When your body is not fed carbs, it takes what it needs from your muscle fibres, and not your fat reserves.

Atkins is the same as any 'diet'. Once you stop the prescribed course, so to speak, you're left with a void that you need to fill. It's only meant to be a temporary thing, and then ultimately you go back to what you did before as you feel the burden of the chore of dieting is gone.

On the other hand, what I'm doing, I'm actually eating the same amount of food as before, if not more, and enjoying it all.

Guest davelfc
As long as you realise it was far more muscle' date=' rather than fat you lost. When your body is not fed carbs, it takes what it needs from your muscle fibres, and not your fat reserves.[/quote']

I don't think that is accurate.

When glycogen stores are not available in the cells, fat (triacylglycerol) is cleaved to give 3 fatty acid chains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process called lipolysis. Most of the body is able to utilize fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process called beta-oxidation. One of the products of beta-oxidation is acetyl-CoA, which can be further used in the Krebs cycle. During prolonged fasting or starvation, acetyl-CoA in the liver is used to produce ketone bodies instead, leading to a state of ketosis.

During starvation or a long physical training session, the body starts utilizing fatty acids instead of glucose. The brain cannot use fatty acids for energy because the fatty acids cannot cross the blood-brain barrier. However, the ketone bodies produced in the liver can cross the blood-brain barrier. In the brain, these ketone bodies are then incorporated into acetyl-CoA and used in the Krebs cycle.

Basically the body uses stored fat for fuel instead of taking muscle. Atkins is very effective at losing fat and not muscle. The problem is most people go back to bad eating habits and the cycle starts again.

Guest davelfc

I would imagine that some of that weight loss is also water. I'm sure I read that people who do an atkins style diet often consume far less salt. This combined with the diet itself often shifts a lot of water a person may be retaining.

I did the Atkins diet for a laugh for a couple of months.

You shed tonnes of weight very quickly, then put it all on extra fast as soon as you come off it.

I tried it for one day, it never survived a trip to Llloyds bar in town with my mates after work. I went in there all smart arse saying I was going to have a mixed grill EVEN THOUGH I WAS ON A DIET, but then ended up giving my peas and chips away. When my mate went to the bar I had to have water, no beer, no sugar and no fucking sugar substitute. Bollocks to this I thought, this is going to get complicated.

I actually feel as though my belly is getting bigger since last Monday when I started looking to lose a bit of weight and it's frustrating! I've been the gym 5 times, and i'm watching what I eat yet it's expanding.

I think I may be eating too many carbs but not excessively so, and i've hardly touch any fat at all, not at least compared to usual.

Here's my calorie intake since Saturday:

Saturday = 2257

Sunday = 2021

Monday = 2322

Today = 1800

Given that the daily allowance for men is 2500 and that in that period i've been the gym 3 times and ran over 15 km's, as well as doing about 150 crunches, i'm a little peeved that my belly feels bigger and i'm bloated!

As long as you realise it was far more muscle' date=' rather than fat you lost, Gaz. When your body is not fed carbs, it takes what it needs from your muscle fibres, and not your fat reserves.

Atkins is the same as any 'diet'. Once you stop the prescribed course, so to speak, you're left with a void that you need to fill. It's only meant to be a temporary thing, and then ultimately you go back to what you did before as you feel the burden of the chore of dieting is gone.

On the other hand, what I'm doing, I'm actually eating the same amount of food as before, if not more, and enjoying it all.[/quote']

No offense Damo but you're talking crap. Muscle can decay, indeed as quickly as it can grow but as long as you're eating then your body is fuelled and will use that for fuel before it starts hitting away at muscular fibre.

Personally I don't fully support the Atkins diet as I don't think it's making its intentions clear and to me it has two of them. One is to make you go cold-turkey without fully explaining that the end goal is to have a balanced diet. Having a balanced, healthy diet is all well and good but if you go to that from an average junk filled diet it feels like a punishment.

With Atkins you start at rock bottom, no carbs, your body craves them and you gradually increase them until you're at a point where you're thankful for your new diet and feel like it's a privilege rather than a punishment. As I said, I don't think it's completely without flaw and could, on a psychological level take a different angle to help people suffer less on it, especially during induction.

As for losing muscle rather than fat, at my age there's one place fat goes straight to and it's the belly. That most definitely was not muscle. It was fat and as someone else said before it was water and exercise wasn't shifting it. It's now reduced dramatically. Muscle doesn't jiggle when I run up the stairs. Muscle doesn't hang over the waistline of my jeans. Basically, I'm absolutely sure the weight I lost was fat and excess water.

As far what you think you know about high fat diets, I could write a boring explanation which refutes what you're saying but this page says it much better than I could...

Lowering Triglycerides - How to Lower Triglycerides

If you want to lose weight, go the chemist and buy some ketostix. Test your piss every time you go and stop eating carbs until the ketostix turn purple. It will take about 2 or 3 days if you are exercising too.

Once they're purple, keep it up for about a week and weigh yourself regularly.

Your weight will fluctuate wildly which can be pretty weird. Mine's fluctuated as much as 6lbs in a day but it's just shit piss and fat moving one way or another so don't worry about it. Use the weight measurement you take in the morning as your truest sign of how well you are doing but most of all, for fucks sake drink at least 3 pints of water a day or you're going to get constipated.

I actually feel as though my belly is getting bigger since last Monday when I started looking to lose a bit of weight and it's frustrating! I've been the gym 5 times, and i'm watching what I eat yet it's expanding.

I think I may be eating too many carbs but not excessively so, and i've hardly touch any fat at all, not at least compared to usual.

Here's my calorie intake since Saturday:

Saturday = 2257

Sunday = 2021

Monday = 2322

Today = 1800

Given that the daily allowance for men is 2500 and that in that period i've been the gym 3 times and ran over 15 km's, as well as doing about 150 crunches, i'm a little peeved that my belly feels bigger and i'm bloated!

That time of the month will do that to you, give it a few days and it'll pass. Try not to kill anyone as the hormones take over.

I'm 5'8" just and weighed 13 and a half stone when I had a flat stomach.

Before I put weight on I was playing football 4 times a week, and would eat whatever food I wanted to and could drink every night of the week.

I am now over 15 stone with a beer gut.

The only way I lose weight is by cutting out the beer, cheese and exercising more.

All you need is a sensible eating plan, exercise and will power. Thats as simple and difficult as it gets.

I'm 5'8" just and weighed 13 and a half stone when I had a flat stomach.

Before I put weight on I was playing football 4 times a week, and would eat whatever food I wanted to and could drink every night of the week.

I am now over 15 stone with a beer gut.

The only way I lose weight is by cutting out the beer, cheese and exercising more.

All you need is a sensible eating plan, exercise and will power. Thats as simple and difficult as it gets.

Word.

I'm 5' 9" and weigh a staggering 14 stone now! Since our Baby was born in January I havent done a fucking tap. I've played footy once a blue moon and need to sort my shit out. All i do is get the bus to work, sit there all day then get the bus home, veg out and spend the rest of my evenings with the baby.No excerise what. so. ever!

I've had a bacon butty, a large XL Bacon double cheesburger meal from BK, two packs of crisp, a pack of Rolo's and a hotdog today. Having steak and chips in a minute as well.

Still weigh the exact same as when this thread started. I can basically eat anything I want and don't get fat. My Dad is the exact same as me and can eat fucking anything but never gets fat.

Hope this helps.

Hello Heart-attack

Hope this helps.:whistle:

Fuck all this talk of diets. Why deprive yourself of something you want.

The key to staying trim is being young or doing more exercise.

The trouble with exercise is that you plateau. Once you are married who cares anyway. If I said to my wife I was going on atkins she would think I was a gayer.