You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watched him last night on Irish tv. He was practically frothing at the mouth he was so irate. I couldn't believe how angry he was getting.

RTÉ Sport: Whelan: Benitez has given up title race

Ronnie Whelan launched a sensational attack on Rafael Benitez on RTÉ television last night, suggesting that the Liverpool manager has already given up on the Premier League title and that his days are numbered at Anfield.

Speaking on RTÉ's Premier Soccer Saturday, Whelan was reacting to his former club Liverpool's 3-1 defeat to Fulham.

Asked by presenter Darragh Maloney what had gone wrong at Craven Cottage, Whelan replied: 'It's all gone wrong with the manager. He's shown exactly today where his priorities lie.'

The former Ireland midfielder went on to suggest that Benitez is already thinking of his next job.

'He wants to win the European Cup. He wants to be the man who wins the European Cup so he can get a job anywhere in Europe. I think after winning the European Cup with Liverpool he will get a job in Europe anyway but, for me, now, his days have got to be numbered at Liverpool.'

Whelan reckoned that the team selected by Benitez to face Fulham on Saturday was not strong enough to get a result at Craven Cottage and that he could not understand the Spanish manager's motivations.

'Why after such a great result against Manchester United, do you want to take a huge step backwards after losing to Arsenal in the Carling Cup as well? I don't see where he's coming from now.

'He showed me today that he wants to win the Champions League and that's all he cares about - because of the team he picked today.'

Maloney then asked if Whelan believed that Benitez had given up on the title race already.

'When I saw the team I thought that straight away. He's not really bothered now. And I can't see why he's done it.

'He's taken players off who are the only players who are going to give you a chance of winning the game. And he drags them all off because he's got a game on Wednesday.'

Whelan also condemned Benitez for prioritising European success over domestic results, especially given Liverpool's precarious grip on staying in the Champions League.

'He's putting all his eggs in one basket. If he loses in Lyon, he probably won't qualify for the Champions League for the knockout stages. So, he's out of the Champions League; he's not going to win the Premiership anyway - so he's messed up completely.'

Liverpool travel to Lyon on Wednesday for a vital Champions League tie knowing that anything less than a win would make qualification for the knock-out stages unlikely.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whelan once more showing he is a bitter prick.

The side played against Fulham was due to injuries not resting them for the Champions League.

Why is he a prick for saying that? He is spot on in my opinion.

The side that played against Fulham had 8 first choice players (whether you like them or not, Rafa rates them so he takes the praise or criticism when those players succeed/fail) and even at 2-1 down, we still had 15 mins to equalise/get a winner. Hey ho, look, Rafa takes Benayoun off, who has been the most creative player in the team this year.

He has an opinion, more like. I bet no-one would be happier to see Liverpool do well than the likes of Ronnie Whelan.

To be honest, I don't care what Whelan thinks and says. In fact, I don't care what anyone things and says.

What I care about is what I see in front of me. What I saw yesterday was that the manager behaving like a fucking coward. Why the fuck say we should go on a run after the United victory and do what he did yesterday?

Whelan saying it doesn't alter the fact - the fact was in broad daylight yesterday.

I can excuse bad performances and crap results. I can't excuse throwing in the towel, I can't excuse giving a game away just because you have an important game 4 days later. Whether it is Rafa Benitez or any other Liverpool manager - they can fuck right off my club with that shit attitude.

I hate Babel and Voronin for a reason because they are fucking lazy. They don't do enough to show they are playing for the shirt. I know Kuyt is pretty much a liability technically but I don't get that angry with him as I know he will give 100% in every game.

What Rafa did yesterday was in excusable in my book. I still haven't forgetten the result against Reading when he did the same thing (guess what, Gerrard was fit then, the same Gerrard many people point as a reason for our loss yesterday). Shithouse attitude that.

I wonder what Carra was thinking when he walked after his red card. "Why the fuck am I giving my heart and soul for this club every week when the manager clearly has other plans about this league" I bet.

To be fair there is a little "see? see?" glee in those remarks.

The punditry on RTE does go very Talksport on occasion doesn't it? "Well you can see both sides" doesn't seem to be very fashionable!

Have the offal confirmed that Skrtel/Agger rumour?

That's Ronnie Whelan, all right. What Skrtel/Agger rumor? I haven't bothered to read the panic threads after yesterday...

To be honest, I don't care what Whelan thinks and says. In fact, I don't care what anyone things and says.

What I care about is what I see in front of me. What I saw yesterday was that the manager behaving like a fucking coward. Why the fuck say we should go on a run after the United victory and do what he did yesterday?

Whelan saying it doesn't alter the fact - the fact was in broad daylight yesterday.

I can excuse bad performances and crap results. I can't excuse throwing in the towel, I can't excuse giving a game away just because you have an important game 4 days later. Whether it is Rafa Benitez or any other Liverpool manager - they can fuck right off my club with that shit attitude.

I hate Babel and Voronin for a reason because they are fucking lazy. They don't do enough to show they are playing for the shirt. I know Kuyt is pretty much a liability technically but I don't get that angry with him as I know he will give 100% in every game.

What Rafa did yesterday was in excusable in my book. I still haven't forgetten the result against Reading when he did the same thing (guess what, Gerrard was fit then, the same Gerrard many people point as a reason for our loss yesterday). Shithouse attitude that.

I wonder what Carra was thinking when he walked after his red card. "Why the fuck am I giving my heart and soul for this club every week when the manager clearly has other plans about this league" I bet.

Again, can't argue with any of this unfortunately.

I can't excuse throwing in the towel, I can't excuse giving a game away just because you have an important game 4 days later. Whether it is Rafa Benitez or any other Liverpool manager - they can fuck right off my club with that shit attitude.

Where did he throw in the towel? Team selection or substitutions? Torres is not fit, Johnson is not fit, Gerrard seems to be a long-term absentee, Aquilani is not there yet, I have no clue about Skrtel & Agger, but Agger has been injured and can't play all the time. Who an earth is there left? Aurelio, who also has been injured. Ngog, who apparently was ill.

Degen got a wrong red, as did Carra, and Rafa is to blame? And if they had been correct, you still blame the manager? I don't know, I would simply quote you, you "can fuck right off my club with that shit attitude". And how the hell it became "my club", I don;t know, it always used to be our club...

That they were okay to play, just didn't travel.

If that's true, a very interesting decision by Rafa. Skrtel is not the first choice starter anyway, but way better than Kyrgiakos. Agger, to me, is the most important CB as long as we play with Mascherano and Lucas in the midfield. He is vital in keeping the ball moving and passing it on the ground.

And, as long as we are talking about CBs, we should get Hangeland. Sell Skrtel, get Hangeland in, some of the problems are sorted there.

The side played against Fulham was due to injuries not resting them for the Champions League.

I'll bet you at least four players will miraculously come back for the Champions League tie on Wednesday.

Benitez has lost the plot. We've lost the league title mainly because of his stupid decisions for two years in a row. Fair enough the owners are cunts and have not supported him with a penny this summer, but why the fuck would you remove Benayoun against Lyon and then Fulham when he's the ONLY creative threat we've got in the team? You could see what a massive lift that gave the opposition. He did it a great number of times last season too.

I just can't fucking understand the manager. He's a master tactician at times in Europe, and yet he fails so miserably in basic decision-making.

Taking Torres off at 1-1 is throwing in the towel.

Its like Gerrard off in the derby but he got lucky in that one as we all know.

If Torres played against the Mancs with pain killing injections, as has been reported, it was already a risk of long term injury to start him against Fulham. No towel there, just common sense.

that actually might not be the case

I actually dont see a lot wrong with what Whelan is saying there

Whilst I agree with you that the team selection wasnt an abject surrender of the title his decisions concerning Torres and Benayoun were a truly fucking disgraceful surrender of the title.

If we dont win on Wednesday we only have the FA Cup to play for and were only in November.

Believe what you want.

When a Liverpool manager takes off his best player off at 1-1 to make sure he's okay for the next game thats throwing the towel in.

Imagine the lift the Fulham players would of gotten when he trotted off.

I disagree. Gerrard continued to play and train injured for England, where is he now? Torres can only take so much, just like any football player.