You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old is Anderson now? Did we jump the gun selling him. I do believe loans are the way forward for our promising youngsters - they need regular competitive football. 6- 12 months should be a decent indication. As far as i'm aware not too many players we've sent on loan have gone on to excel.

Just look at Frazer Campbell - one good loan period at Hull (i think) and Utd we're getting all kinds of silly offers for him and eventually got £6m.

How old is Anderson now? Did we jump the gun selling him. I do believe loans are the way forward for our promising youngsters - they need regular competitive football. 6- 12 months should be a decent indication. As far as i'm aware not too many players we've sent on loan have gone on to excel.

Just look at Frazer Campbell - one good loan period at Hull (i think) and Utd we're getting all kinds of silly offers for him and eventually got £6m.

We did loan Anderson out before selling him, twice i think.

We did loan Anderson out before selling him, twice i think.

I can't be arsed keeping up with it all anymore.... if he didn't star/do well on his loan moves then we were right to ship him out.

Given the compeition at the top nowadays I think very few players will come directly through from reserve teams to the first team. Most will end up going out on loan and how they do there will determine their future.

As long as they aren't sitting on benches etc i'd rather all our youngsters go out on loan fo 6-12 months and gain proper, pressure footballing experiences in Division 1 than stay here playing in the ressies and getting the odd spot on the bench.

• 5 months later...
Any time I watch the championship highlights after Match of the Day he always looks lightning this lad, he never even got a chance for us in a league cup game. Weird because I'm sure Rafa bought him.

Yeah but Macia did'nt. so he had to go.He'll be a decent player that lad, probably make it a lower prem team, Wolves, Stoke, certinley worth more than the £250k we sold him for.I said here last week, of Hammill, Anderson, Bucthman, Hobbs at least 3 of them will be established premier league players within 2 years, we sold them for a total of £1.2m, but Rafa knows best.

Anderson seems to have had a growth spurt since he left us, I always thought he was a short arse (like most of our young players) but he looks much taller these days. If he'd grown before he left then maybe he would have been given a chance with the first team?

I don't regret us letting him go though, just glad to see him doing well - same with Hammill and any other former youth team player.

hammill and anderson over riera, babel, el zahr, gonzales and leto everyday. shame we fucked that up. surely there is not one promising youngster out there that would choose to come to us.

Riera is playing poorly at present , but he is 29 & first choice for the best international team in the world so that is just silly.

Babel can be truly awful , but in terms of talent he is far above either of the guys you mention , hence Brum offering £8m for him while we were lucky to get £250k from a chamionship side for the others.

El Zhar , I would probably agree with you.

Gonzalez & Leto were deemed not good enough & dumped not unlike the 2 young lads.

We have any amount of good , promising prospects on our books.

He is also very respectful towards us. I remember reading on here that on the Hillsborough anniversary, despite not playing for us, he wore a black armband as a sign of respect.

As for his footballing skills, he has matured under Billy Davies and could easily make it in a lower to mid table team, or provide suitable back up for us, compared to the rest of the shit we have.

He reminds me a bit of Adam Johnson. The annoying part is he just wasn't given a chance. At least have a look at the lad when we're crying out for a bit of pace and trickery out wide.

It's comes with having such a one dimensional stubborn coach, who obviously isn't getting the best advice when it comes to players.

I think the reason we sold Anderson and Hammill rather than El Zhar for example probably just comes down to the fact that they were English lads who lower league teams wanted. It didn’t look like any of the three were going to be good enough long term, so I had no problem in letting the lads go to play football.

I'd wager if we hadn't had them in the first place there wouldn't be a single thread suggesting we should sign either Anderson or Hammill. Mind you that doesn't excuse the parsity of quality currently on our flanks either.

Riera is playing poorly at present , but he is 29 & first choice for the best international team in the world so that is just silly.

Babel can be truly awful , but in terms of talent he is far above either of the guys you mention , hence Brum offering £8m for him while we were lucky to get £250k from a chamionship side for the others.

El Zhar , I would probably agree with you.

Gonzalez & Leto were deemed not good enough & dumped not unlike the 2 young lads.

We have any amount of good , promising prospects on our books.

Riera first choice for Spain? Really? I didn't know that. They can't be that good then surely.

Babel has no talent. He has pace and a hard shot but is totally lacking in any awareness.

I was at the forest game on sat and was really interested to see how he played. I must confess he had one or good moments but far too many of his places we're misplaced and he may have grown upwards but he still lacked the physical strength needed. His pace in attack is very good though and is forests main outlet really. They didn't once in the first half play down the right hand side, it was always fed to "Ando" as he's affectionately known by their fans. He looks at about the right level at present though and he would/might get bullied out of most games against premier league teams.

A nice footballer, bit like Spearing and Darby but I honestly hold out little hope for any of them making it in the top flight. More of our lads should try and join other clubs as otherwise their careers may never get off the ground. Good luck "Ando"

I must confess he had one or good moments but far too many of his places we're misplaced and he may have grown upwards but he still lacked the physical strength needed.

He'll fit in well with us then. It sounds like Riera that, or any flair player to be honest. The big problem is we've been brainwashed into believing that a player is only any good these days if they chase shadows all game and finish a marathon.

Does every young player have to be 'special' these days? As that theory is contradicted by the amount of shite we've paid good money for. The mancs have no problem using good solid reserves to plug holes in the squad. They don't have to be world beaters and they'll learn and improve by playing with better players.

Anyone who has been on our books at that level will look good in small doses. Doesn't mean they are good enough to play regularly for the first team.

Saw Leto in Europa League highlights and he looked very good. For the 5 seconds he was on.

The problem is there is such a massive gap between Youth/Reserves and First team that players who will eke out a decent career are not good enough for us until mid-20s at best. If it wasn't for the politics, I think we would scrap youth development and spend the money on established Prem players (or developing talent) in early 20s.

Anyone who has been on our books at that level will look good in small doses. Doesn't mean they are good enough to play regularly for the first team.

Saw Leto in Europa League highlights and he looked very good. For the 5 seconds he was on.

The problem is there is such a massive gap between Youth/Reserves and First team that players who will eke out a decent career are not good enough for us until mid-20s at best. If it wasn't for the politics, I think we would scrap youth development and spend the money on established Prem players (or developing talent) in early 20s.

Just more excuses. You can't make a judgement on any young player we've let go when we've seen so much rubbish signed and failed in recent times. At least with the homegrown lads you get some heart and enthusiasm.