You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

But at the same time, it's not 'something' to bring up, because it makes people feel awkward.

It's the only place I can think of that's more akin to a first day at school than a football stadium, by that I mean the customs and rituals are such that I think many day-trippers can fall silent for fear of being called out by some twat for things like that.

I think the applause adds to the song and the occassion myself, why can't you do both?

Don't support like that, support like this. Yeah that's weird, I'm going to be quiet and hope that I escape disdain because my shoes are 9 days out of fashion.

We're such a weird fish.

There's ways of going about things though, aren't there.

You can shout abuse and have a pop at people for clapping before YNWA has finished, or you can politely inform people that we, as Liverpool fans, wait until the song had finished before applauding. Plenty of people do the latter and there's nothing wrong with that. Not all match regulars are the cunts you're painting them as.

I'm not in the game of painting anyone like a cunt, it just is what it is, and either we're happy with it or we're not.

I think it's very hard for, hand on heart, to say that Anfield on each matchday is a happy place full of positive energy and fervant boisterous noisy support for the team on the field in red.

Why are we hearing away fans over ours on big occassions? FA Cup games, League Cup Semi Finals, season-defining PL games at a critical point in the season?

The whole "they need to give us something to sing about" schtick is getting a bit thin. Being fucking 2nd and in with a shout of the title is something to sing about, as is being in a cup semi final, as is getting behind a struggling team with young players in it on FA Cup day.

Don't support like that, support like this. Yeah that's weird, I'm going to be quiet and hope that I escape disdain because my shoes are 9 days out of fashion.

Is this really a thing at Anfield, people routinely getting dog's abuse for not conforming? I've been to Anfield a hundred times - yes, I have counted - and I can't remember witnessing a single instance of what you mention here.

Is this really a thing at Anfield, people routinely getting dog's abuse for not conforming? I've been to Anfield a hundred times - yes, I have counted - and I can't remember witnessing a single instance of what you mention here.

I think you're being too literal, the point is that fans are 'expected' to behave in a different way here and the knock on effect seems to be a shit atmosphere.

It is a new era with a new type of fan and it is the way it is...what it was isn't coming back, it is gone - the hostility, the wit, the passion....replaced by pizzas, selfie sticks, people on mobi's taking pics, sitting looking at ipads, half scarves and days out crossing off things on peoples bucket lists

I've said it before and I stand by it you can't get a hostile or especially intimidating/loud atmosphere out of a crowd that is so diverse as well.

When you mention those away fans at Anfield it is in the main like Saturday 8,000 fans all from the midlands in and around Wolverhampton and largely of the same demographic. Noisy lads on the ale on a day out.

Our support is made up of people from all over the place and from so many demographics and is spread all over ground...what we need is a section where those who wanna make a noise go en masse to drive it from there and then more who want to will add to it....like the kop used to be before it was seated...now it is a mix of tourists, old fellas who don't necessarily want to shout and sing, mixed in with a few scalls and lads who do but then there is also the difference between how a middle class fella with his kids from the home counties for example acts in the kop to how a 25 year old from wavertree sitting next to them acts....get people of similar 'ways' together and you get a better atmosphere.

I remember the derby a couple of years ago we were in the main stand me and my mate and we were surrounded by people who just had no inclination to sing...we had been on the ale in town and all day and were up for it so as the bitters started their repertoire we got up and gave them some 'tell yer ma' i am not kidding literally nobody save for about half a dozen all around us gave it anything...even worse was them sitting in silence as the bitters even at 4 down continued to take the piss, serenading the leaving tourists with 'what times yer aeroplane' etc....Surely at this point even a chorus of 4-0, 4-0 , 4-0 would do.....nothing, literally nothing.

Our songs are boss and not generic shite like so many other clubs...but they aren't always easy for people to join in with...so many people don't know words - how many times do you hear 'every other saturday' fade to a mumble...same for 'scouser tommy' same for 'those we the days' etc etc...i hate saying but we might actually benefit from more generic 'hes one of our own' type songs - they are easy for people to get to grips with - our best songs aren't for daytrippers etc..the only songs you really hear at home are 'fields of anfield road' and the 'liverpool' drone.

Everything else is largely either too fast, people don't know or too isolated to catch on.

Finally and i dare say some will have a pop over this but i stand by it there are a lot of women in anfield.....and women generally don't tend to be as loud as men at the game.

We have too many people there to experience anfield rather than make anfield what it is they are there to experience

It is a new era with a new type of fan and it is the way it is...what it was isn't coming back, it is gone - the hostility, the wit, the passion....replaced by pizzas, selfie sticks, people on mobi's taking pics, sitting looking at ipads, half scarves and days out crossing off things on peoples bucket lists

I've said it before and I stand by it you can't get a hostile or especially intimidating/loud atmosphere out of a crowd that is so diverse as well.

When you mention those away fans at Anfield it is in the main like Saturday 8,000 fans all from the midlands in and around Wolverhampton and largely of the same demographic. Noisy lads on the ale on a day out.

Our support is made up of people from all over the place and from so many demographics and is spread all over ground...what we need is a section where those who wanna make a noise go en masse to drive it from there and then more who want to will add to it....like the kop used to be before it was seated...now it is a mix of tourists, old fellas who don't necessarily want to shout and sing, mixed in with a few scalls and lads who do but then there is also the difference between how a middle class fella with his kids from the home counties for example acts in the kop to how a 25 year old from wavertree sitting next to them acts....get people of similar 'ways' together and you get a better atmosphere.

I remember the derby a couple of years ago we were in the main stand me and my mate and we were surrounded by people who just had no inclination to sing...we had been on the ale in town and all day and were up for it so as the bitters started their repertoire we got up and gave them some 'tell yer ma' i am not kidding literally nobody save for about half a dozen all around us gave it anything...even worse was them sitting in silence as the bitters even at 4 down continued to take the piss, serenading the leaving tourists with 'what times yer aeroplane' etc....Surely at this point even a chorus of 4-0, 4-0 , 4-0 would do.....nothing, literally nothing.

Our songs are boss and not generic shite like so many other clubs...but they aren't always easy for people to join in with...so many people don't know words - how many times do you hear 'every other saturday' fade to a mumble...same for 'scouser tommy' same for 'those we the days' etc etc...i hate saying but we might actually benefit from more generic 'hes one of our own' type songs - they are easy for people to get to grips with - our best songs aren't for daytrippers etc..the only songs you really hear at home are 'fields of anfield road' and the 'liverpool' drone.

Everything else is largely either too fast, people don't know or too isolated to catch on.

Finally and i dare say some will have a pop over this but i stand by it there are a lot of women in anfield.....and women generally don't tend to be as loud as men at the game.

We have too many people there to experience anfield rather than make anfield what it is they are there to experience

it's the same to a degree with every club.  Our fans are always really loud at aways, because we by and large sing our way through the game, and usually out sing the opposition.  And if you look at the lads who go to the aways, most are not young.    

• Upvote 2

it's the same to a degree with every club.  Our fans are always really loud at aways, because we by and large sing our way through the game, and usually out sing the opposition.  And if you look at the lads who go to the aways, most are not young.    

Fair enough. 

it's the same to a degree with every club. Our fans are always really loud at aways, because we by and large sing our way through the game, and usually out sing the opposition. And if you look at the lads who go to the aways, most are not young.

Because it's a closed shop?

I haven't been a regular at away games since 2005, but there used to be loads of youngish lads in attendance.

klopp should never have done that sky thing. Gave everyone the skinny on how to stop us playing.

You do wonder...

I also remember listening to a podcast from The Anfield Wrap when we were in full flow, and they were talking about ways to try and stop us, and how they might do it.

Night and day the level of performance in the last few months.

Yeah.

He's one of my favourite players to watch, with his build he shouldn't really be that skilful and graceful, he's a freak. He's so underrated among most football fans and journalists it's crazy he glides past people and when someone tries going shoulder to shoulder he's unbelievably strong, his only downfall is he doesn't score enough, if he scored 10-15 a season he'd be one of the best in the world I think.