You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

Does anyone own a decent beer fridge? They seem to start at £120 with minimal space, I want something that can take a couple crates at least...

a beer fridge?  What is this dark magic you speak of?  I have one of those little glass fronted things in my shed, but there's no way I can get a couple of crates in it. 

Peroni is alright but it's nothing special. Makes me laugh seeing people paying £4.50 for a pint of it. The Peroni and Red Stripe were gifts though, still go down well on a summers day.

That is a display of beauty...

...do you have a touch of OCD?

Had a Beavertown 'Stingy Jack' pumpkin ale last night, incredibly good. I love pumpkin beer (got a pumpkin dubbel brewing at the moment) but it's not widely available and is often just sweet with a few spices thrown in.

Any other good pumpkin beers out there?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Innis and Gunn....lovely stuff.

Had a few Slauvutich last night, not that good to be honest. Used to love the stuff.

anyhoo, there is a decent place just down the road from my kids place here that has loads of beers, was going stop in yesterday but four inches of snow fell and fucking Winnipeg is the most pedestriam unfriendly city i have ever been to.

I am a proud Canadian and will tromp through woods, frozen lakes, mosquito infested swamps, etc but having a few pints and then negotiating an overpass and unplowed sidewalks while the worlds most idiotic drivers play bumper cars, well I just put some tunes on and scarfed some Slauvitich.

This place is the capital of the world of idiot drivers...there is like three inches of snow down and no one slows down. cars spinning out, SUVs, lorries wrapped around poles, six lorries stuck on a cloverleaf, like fucking hell get off the road or slow the fuck down. The cheap bastards that run the city don't believe in proper gritting and plowing either. Its a fucking zoo, apocalyptic amd add all the yokels out trying to shop last minute just adds to it.

I once went out with a woman from here and let her drive once, fuck me I actually thought I am going to be maimed. 20km/h over the speed limit, weaving in and out, no shoulder check, she tailgated a cabbie so close I could see the fare meter clicking.

My ex had a mate who had not one drop of Italain blood in her but put this woman behind the wheel and her hands were going like two Italian men discussing politics. On the horn constantly, and either blasting through clear yellows with plenty of time to stop or hitting the gas and then braking like some fucking NASCAR driver if she thought thenpther traffic might jump the red.

I am only alive today because UPS let me take a week long defensive driver training course.

Oh, and they fucking love to drink drive here as well.

I'm heading back in May, so I'll be looking this up.

Hofbrauhaus is a bit of tourist trap.  Hacker-Pschorr is good, some top notch kellnerin in there.

Best in Munchen is the Augustiner tap just up from the train station, cheaper than the other places too.  That said you'd be hard pressed to have a bad bevvie in Munich.

Finally found some of this in a shop (Morrisons) :

iONvVCG.jpg

It's from the same brewery (Wychwood) that makes the Hobgoblin I was ranting about a while back in one or two threads. Tastes a bit dull but might get used to it as I drink more. Have just got to be careful because drinking Hobgoblin was usually the start of me getting wasted, and I'm hoping to have more or less cut that out now.

Done the same tonight as last time I posted. Black Wych > Pistonhead (small bottle) > Budweiser Budvar. Still got the Bud left and a bit of the Pistonhead, which is great for balance after the heaviness of the Black Wych (porter). Tonight though it's not new year's eve, and there's no fucking wine to screw the night up thankfully. Just got to make sure I watch the vodka and orange. Still most of the only one I've had left, might get one more later.

I'm after a trade supplier of paper top Früli. Any ideas?

Redderz, a lad I know and his Dad are the brand owners of Fruli, and despite not having seen him for a few years I caught up with him at a wedding on Saturday, having seen this post and made a mental note to mention it to him.

As his Dad deals with Fruli day-to-day he's put me in touch with him so he can advise. If you PM me your pub and/or contact details I can put you in touch with him/whoever he suggests in your area, if that would be of any use.

• Upvote 3