You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

I've tried that Cusquena mate and although it was nice, it's closer to a lager than the Erdinger, if you know what I mean?

If you're after ones similar to Erdiner try the Paulaner, Franziskaner and Blue Moon. Try the Goose Island Wheat Ale as well if you can find it, think Tesco have it.

Innis & Gunn is in a category of it's own. Make sure you try a bottle of it.

If you're after ones similar to Erdiner try the Paulaner, Franziskaner and Blue Moon. Try the Goose Island Wheat Ale as well if you can find it, think Tesco have it.

Sound. It seems that wheat beer is what I'm after. I didn't know that 20 minutes ago. Great success. I'll get on all of those you mentioned and report back.

Blue Moon's lovely, have bought it for home consumption a few times but I had my first in a bar the other weekend.

The bar was a bit of a rough establishment and I was walking round with one of those tall glasses with an Orange sticking off the end while all my mates drank Guinness and Local Ales.

Felt a bit of a twat to say the least.

Sam Adams, Blue Moon and Leffe. Although you should get on some proper Ales.

After the beers that have been recommended I couldn't possibly lower myself by adding to the thread.

Thing is though mate, we don't have access to the ale you have over there. As you know being from here, stuff like Sam Adams and Blue Moon is 100% better than Fosters, Carling and Carlsberg. I'm sure there is loads of better stuff over there but we can't get it here, or at least you can't just pick it up in a supermarket.

Same with Erdinger which I think is lovely. That could be the equivalent of Carling in Germany for all I know, but as far as wheat beers go here it's one of the best.

Some good shouts on the Paulaner and Franziskaner. They do a few decent wheat beers at Tesco. I think they do Weihenstephaner which is up there with the best.

Weihenstephaner's a good shout. Have tried that a couple times and can vouch for that suggestion.

Guest ShoePiss
Thing is though mate, we don't have access to the ale you have over there. As you know being from here, stuff like Sam Adams and Blue Moon is 100% better than Fosters, Carling and Carlsberg. I'm sure there is loads of better stuff over there but we can't get it here, or at least you can't just pick it up in a supermarket.

Same with Erdinger which I think is lovely. That could be the equivalent of Carling in Germany for all I know, but as far as wheat beers go here it's one of the best.

Ah I was just joking, you know..beer snob ha.

As it happens I was drinking gallons of Blue Moon the other night at a concert, as far as mass produced beers go it's great.

Ah I was just joking' date=' you know..beer snob ha.

As it happens I was drinking gallons of Blue Moon the other night at a concert, as far as mass produced beers go it's great.[/quote']

Price of it over here though, £3.90 a pint last time I got one.

Budvar and Birra Moretti are my preferred home tipples at the moment.

Had a bad pint of lager in a pub a few years ago which yielded a sprint to the bogs to spew my insides out and which nearly put me in hospital.

its taken a while for me to get back on the lager as theres a 'chemical' taste in all of it which brings back flashbacks of my episode above.

I've been a real ale and bitter man ever since apart from when i'm on my hols (nothing beats a few mahou's in the sun) and recently where I've been enjoying one or two budvar's at home, ice cold from the fridge decanted into a small glass. I've found the larger bottles drink nicer as it goes a bit flat after a few mins and gets rid of the initial gassy bubbles which spoil your drink. I've not got the liver I had when I was in my late teens

Cobra's a nice mainstream tipple too.

I've been through the snobby beer phase too but none of them are exceptional enough to justify paying for 2 what you can get 4 of elsewhere

Sam Adams is no longer imported from the US, it's now brewed under licence in Faversham and it's way more gassy. It's been a crushing blow but I've got my hands on their Spring lager and it's lovely. I'll do you a favour, CT, go here Beer, Wine, Cider & More | Beers Of Europe and see your options expand.

I had some of this over the weekend and it was beautiful.

496_3.jpg

You'd be best served delving into the real ale market, it'll dip you into the waters of craft brewing eventually and then you can look down from Mount Pious as a bona fide beer snob.

Brahma is available in Tesco, and is easily the best lager out there.

I always assumed this was piss, another sol etc

Might have to give it a go

Plus 1 on the Sam Adams but its not cheap and only comes in 330ml bottles which is basically two mouthfulls!!