You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul

Where will we finish the season?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish the season?

I wanted to do this after 19 games, but basically had better things to do, so here it is now. I wonder if the votes will be more positive after yesterday? Certainly, while there's a long way still to go, I'm just starting to believe that we can do it. Things are starting to look too good on so many levels to dismiss it out of hand anymore. I still think that The Mancs have the best team and manager and are the team to beat, but a ten point lead over them, even if they have got three games in hand, is significant at this juncture.

I've felt for a while that if we finish above them we'll be champions and I've seen nothing to make me change my mind. At the start of the season, I thought third would be the best we could achieve. However, I now think that - assuming we can avoid major injuries - we can win the title. Chelsea will improve and The Mancs are coming right into form as they always do at this stage, but we've got the confidence, the momentum and, most importantly of all, the points.

Sammy Lee really impressed me yesterday when he spoke with such quiet assurance about our aims and ability to fulfil them, stressing that we're not conceited but we know what we want and how to get it. It sounded exactly like the sort of thing Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley or Joe Fagan would have said and was a timely reminder to everyone of the dual meaning of The Liverpool Way: it's about doing things in the right way, but it's also about aiming for the very best.n Gerrard also came across in the same way. These players know they've got the best chance of their careers to become champions and they look like (so far at least) it's not going to their heads.

As I said, there's a long way to go and I'm certainly not getting carried away. However, I do now believe we can win the league.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I aint jinxing it. Still a long way to go, but we definately can win it this season.

I think a lot depends on the in's and out's of the upcoming transfer window.

Same here. I believe we can win it but I wouldn't say we will and I certainly am not going to tempt this fate.

With Torres to come back plus Skrtel, and the football that we`ve played in the last 2 games, Lucas, Insua and El Zhar starting to look like good young players, the fact that we can rest Keane and Alonso for a game at Newcastle and still win 5-1, I think that things are looking really good for the rest of the season.

Over the previous 4 seasons January until May has always been our strongest part of the season, so yes although I don`t want to jinx anything I think that we can finally win the prem this season.

After we beat the Mancs I thought if we beat the Chavs then we'd be champions. We did.

Then we dropped so many points but somehow still were top of the table and all those teams also dropped points. So that was another sign that crossed my mind that it's written in the stars we're champions.

Now that we managed to get some spaces between ourselves and the following pack (bar the Mancs games in hand, though,) I seriously believe we will be champions.

I always try to be positive, whilst acknowledging any negatives which come up. I think we can win the league and I think we will win it. Of course we have to keep getting the results and we're bound to have a few more dodgy ones, but it seems that Chelsea are too. Arsenal are seemingly out of the picture (though that can change), Villa are emerging extremely well (though time will tell if they can first maintain the push for top four and then push on to actually challenge for the league).

I am most worried about the Mancs because of the games in hand and the fact that they are just as likely to go on a long winning run. However this has been the case with them for a long time, so its to be expected. All we can do is worry about our own results, and fingers crossed with the last 2 games, the performances are getting better as well. Its easy to say the opposition was poor, but particularly after yesterday it was so good to see us tear a poor team apart, which we dont do often enough.

The Mancs will win it easily unfortunately.

They have played all their hard away fixtures & all the other members of the big 4 still have to visit OT.

They have finally dropped "me,me,me" Berbatov for Tevez & are consequently much-improved.

In addition the FA will give them any decision they need as is shown by the private competition that Rooney & Ronaldo appear to be having as to who can retaliate the most & not be sent off.

The Chavs have played all the other top 4 teams at home & got just 1 point; they can't catch them.

We are still not realistic title contenders to any neutral (the Observer fan panel yesterday had only 1 other team's representative (Bolton) mentioning us in that context).

We are however significantly better than Arsenal which is an excellent achivement considering they spend £15m/year more than us.

3rd it is then (especially important this year as 4th has a potential CL qualifier against the Spanish or Italian 4th)

Edited by Catch22

Sammy Lee really impressed me yesterday when he spoke with such quiet assurance about our aims and ability to fulfil them, stressing that we're not conceited but we know what we want and how to get it. It sounded exactly like the sort of thing Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley or Joe Fagan would have said and was a timely reminder to everyone of the dual meaning of The Liverpool Way: it's about doing things in the right way, but it's also about aiming for the very best.

Just wanted to exemplify this point a bit. Sammy Lee seemed a man completely out of his depth as Bolton manager. In fact I remember being embarassed for him after some of his interviews, so hesitant and bewildered was he. However, this full BBC interview shows an intelligent and articulate man who seems to be fully immersed in the club and full of a very professional sense of confidence about what we can do. Certainly, if this is indicative of the mindset behind the scenes, we will be well set when the inevitable Devon Loch comments start flying from Fergie.

BBC SPORT | Football | Match of the Day | Liverpool's best is yet to come - Lee

I've voted that we will finish 2nd because we are always capable of dropping daft points. I believe that we can win, it just depends on how many draws we get as I don't think we'll lose more than twice. I also think it'll be between us and the Mancs and Chelsea, it's silly to write the Chavs off especially as one of their key players is due back soon.

They have played all their hard away fixtures & all the other members of the big 4 still have to visit OT.

They have finally dropped "me,me,me" Berbatov for Tevez & are consequently much-improved.

In addition the FA will give them any decision they need as is shown by the private competition that Rooney & Ronaldo appear to be having as to who can retaliate the most & not be sent off.

The Chavs have played all the other top 4 teams at home & got just 1 point; they can't catch them.

We are still not realistic title contenders to any neutral (the Observer fan panel yesterday had only 1 other team's representative (Bolton) mentioning us in that context).

We are however significantly better than Arsenal which is an excellent achivement considering they spend £15m/year more than us.

3rd it is then (especially important this year as 4th has a potential CL qualifier against the Spanish or Italian 4th)

We've only got The Mancs to play away from home out of the other teams. We have a better away record than we do a home record. Man United weren't much improved away to Stoke. They are probably our biggest threat right now but I think you are going slightly over the top in your assessment. I'm not sure what your point about the Observer panel is trying to prove, it just shows that other teams' fans don't rate us.

Edited by Dirk

I didnt realise that had any bearing on football results.

It's an interesting point about Berbatov, I work with a Manc ST holder who said that the reason the Mancs began to struggle a few years ago was because they became too focused on giving it Van Nistelrooy(can't remember how that's spelt) and, although he scored plenty for them, the overall design of the team faltered. As soon as the Mancs sold him and switched to using a three pronged attack with Ronaldo and Rooney, they became a lot more flexible. I think how they've deployed Berbatov has shifted the focus back to how they used to play and has affected how they are able to play. Dropping him in favour of Tevez would make the Mancs a much more fearsome prospect.

Joe Kinnear fancies us. Il reserve judgement personnally as the dropped points at home concern me in comparison to unites who I dont see as dropping as many. Away from home when teams are under presssure to play we look great.

Have to say though think the bolton home performace was the best we've played at anfield this season.

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear tipped Liverpool for the Barclays Premier League title after seeing his side torn apart at St James' Park on Sunday.

The Reds recorded a 5-1 win in the north-east after goals from Steven Gerrard (2), Ryan Babel, Sami Hyypia and Xabi Alonso.

"I think we have just seen the title winners," said Kinnear. "And I think we've seen the best performance from a single player for a long time in Gerrard, he was magnificent.

"Without a shadow of a doubt they are the best team we've played this season. They were head and shoulders above us. They are an exceptionally good side.

"It was such a one-sided game because they are a world-class team. You have to take your hat off to Liverpool.

"Without Shay Given it would have been even worse. The only positive from the game is that he has proven he is the best goalkeeper in the league by a mile."