You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Creative Zen Media/Mp3-player [HELP!]

Got myself one of those nice little MP3 and video players yesterday, an absolute beauty at a good price. Took it home to install the needed programs and load the player. This is when I started to face some problems.

Followed the installation of 100+ different creative programs; media converters, organizers and explorers untill it said please connect your Creative unit to the computer. Took the USB cable and connected it to the computer for the player to load 4 hours.

The player responded by starting up, showing a ZEN logo and then going blank. The screen is "on" but black, and there's a blue light by the start button to signal that the player is in fact loading (according to the manuals). No icon on the screen though. No real indications that the player is actually loading or is connected to the computer. Anyway, I left it there during the night; figured it's probably loading.

Today, I disconnected the player from the USB port and tried to start it. the blue light by the start button is still shining and the screen is still "shining black". Noting happens. You can't turn it off, and you can't start it up properly.

There's a reset button that you can press by sticking a little needle into a hole. I've done that a couple of times. The same thing happens as when I first connected the player to the computer, i.e. screen goes black for 1-2 seconds, the ZEN logo shows, and screen starts "shining black" again, the blue light goes off and on again.

I've gone through the manual time and time again, looked at the online help here: Creative Labs Europe Knowledge Base - Customer Support KnowledgeBase, Troubleshooting, and Technical Articles)

Can't figure out what the problem is though. If anyone on here recognizes the problem, please help me.

Eternal rep to the one who sorts this out for me!

It probably has something to do with the players connection to the PC, but I can't figure out in what way. Installing the programs works fine, but getting the player to respond doesn't. The player is switched on (into that khoma mode describe above) everytime I plug it in but there's no reaction from the PC.

Take it you have tried formatting the player, (You do this by unplugging it from the computer, then you turn off the player, and then you press the play button while also powering your player on, once you see the creative labs logo release the play button, a screen will appear, select format, then yes (it will delete all of your information on the player) then once you are done formatting select reboot.