You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It's worth it mate. I thought anyway 

Agreed. I’ve mentioned before that I know the story as I’ve listened to the audiobook. But, even with that taken into account, I thought it was absolutely excellent. 

Di Caprio and De Niro brilliantly portrayed the characters depicted in the book. The former, with an air of gullibility but just a nasty piece of work, deep down inside. And De Niro portrayed Hale to a tee based on the image portrayed in the book - a greedy, conniving, shameless bigot who right to the very end still thought he’d done nothing wrong. 

But, the standout for me was Lily Gladstone, I thought she played Mollie Burkhart superbly. I haven’t seen many other new releases this year but I’d be surprised if she doesn’t win best actress Oscar. Thought she was excellent in it. 

I liked the little bit at the end too, the novel way of summing up what happened to the main protagonists afterwards. Much better than having to speed read it via on screen text. 

Films have got to be really, really special to warrant a 10 on 10 from me. The running time, although it seemed to go a lot quicker than it actually was, and a few lulls were not much happened means it misses out on a 10. But, it’s better than a 9. A genuinely superb film.

9.4 poisoned whiskeys out of 10. 

1 minute ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Agreed. I’ve mentioned before that I know the story as I’ve listened to the audiobook. But, even with that taken into account, I thought it was absolutely excellent. 

Di Caprio and De Niro brilliantly portrayed the characters depicted in the book. The former, with an air of gullibility but just a nasty piece of work, deep down inside. And De Niro portrayed Hale to a tee based on the image portrayed in the book - a greedy, conniving, shameless bigot who right to the very end still thought he’d done nothing wrong. 

But, the standout for me was Lily Gladstone, I thought she played Mollie Burkhart superbly. I haven’t seen many other new releases this year but I’d be surprised if she doesn’t win best actress Oscar. Thought she was excellent in it. 

I liked the little bit at the end too, the novel way of summing up what happened to the main protagonists afterwards. Much better than having to speed read it via on screen text. 

Films have got to be really, really special to warrant a 10 on 10 from me. The running time, although it seemed to go a lot quicker than it actually was, and a few lulls were not much happened means it misses out on a 10. But, it’s better than a 9. A genuinely superb film.

9.4 poisoned whiskeys out of 10. 

Don’t give it away for him mate he’s still got about half an hour to go 

But yeah, superb acting all round. Mollie especially. Name a film where De Niro is a nastier cunt 

6 hours ago, Arniepie said:

factory girl

gave up after about half an hour despite the presence of the delectable sienna miller.

mainly because she seemed to hang around with the biggest collection of bell ends in Christendom.

3/10

That's no way to describe the Velvet Underground. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Yea me too.

10/10 Tom (not had any work done) Cruise at his finest.

Saw 1. -5/10. WTF? absolute shite.

I'm watching all the MI films again. Seen them before but there were a couple of recurring characters in Dead Reckoning that I can't remember. 

• Upvote 1

After binging Saul and re-watching BrBa in a month, wanted some more Odenkirk, so I watched Nobody, seeing it has a 7.4 rating on IMDB. Written by what I see is a John Wick writer (is this what this Wick franchise looks like?) and directed by some musician who only did videos previously.

It's hard to rate it for me, because it has to be the stupidest film I have seen in years. It's recommended as a bit of a mindless entertainment, but I'm afraid that to be properly enjoyed it requires a full lobotomy .

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I'm watching all the MI films again. Seen them before but there were a couple of recurring characters in Dead Reckoning that I can't remember. 

Yea, I did that too. Excellent franchise.

Come a long way from the first which didn't impress me at all. Fair play to Tom, he does some great action scenes.

On 16/02/2015 at 00:14, Josef Svejk said:

A Most Violent Year. Recommended. An ambitious immigrant in New York-type drama set in 1981 that felt like it was made at the time. 8/10.

Agreed, a pleasant suprise. Directed by the guy who did Margin Call and All Is Lost, both better and more enjoyable films than I expected them to be.

It's fairly realistic, there is nothing over the top here, which I like.

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Agreed, a pleasant suprise. Directed by the guy who did Margin Call and All Is Lost, both better and more enjoyable films than I expected them to be.

It's fairly realistic, there is nothing over the top here, which I like.

I have no memory of seeing that film or reviewing it here. Almost a decade ago. Jesus.

9 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

I have no memory of seeing that film or reviewing it here. Almost a decade ago. Jesus.

Once I wanted to comment on something which was being dicussed and put the title in the search to see what was said before and the review I mostly agree with turned out to be my own.

• Haha 3

Talk To Me. Clever horror story 8/10. Worth reading an interpretation after as (like Hereditary and Donnie Darko) the story is confusing, but with a reasonable interpretation it can change the way you experience it.

Pain Hustlers - Netflix 

I'd heard good things about this, meant to be the Wolf of Wall St type film of the Fentanyl world in 2011 but fell well short. Still decent and Emily Blunt is just absolutely perfect but it was missing something. Would have been a 6.5 but a 7.5 with Emily.