You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

Expend4bles - 3/10.

Ropey 80s special effects with a shit story, a shit villain, and mediocre action sequences. The best bot is the two minute sequence involving a social media influencer. Swerve.

It's atrocious. 3/10 is generous.

• Upvote 1

On 05/10/2023 at 06:41, sir roger said:

Sat earlier and Hobsons Choice came on.

Absolute masterclasses from Charles Laughton and John Mills, and loads of laugh out loud moments.

Brilliant performances all round.  And available here: 

• Upvote 2

Watched The Untouchables with my youngest last night. 

He’s recently finished The Sopranos, and is sort of enjoying Boardwalk Empire, so I thought he might enjoy it. 

I haven’t seen it in more than thirty years. It was nowhere near as good as I remembered. I’ve seen much better since I first watched it. 

My boy gave it an “ok”.

Back in the day, I’d have given it a nine. It’s really not much better than a seven. 

Just now, YorkshireRed said:

He’s recently finished The Sopranos, and is sort of enjoying Boardwalk Empire, so I thought he might enjoy it. 

I haven’t seen it in more than thirty years. It was nowhere near as good as I remembered. I’ve seen much better since I first watched it. 

My boy gave it an “ok”.

Back in the day, I’d have given it a nine. It’s really not much better than a seven. 

I did the same a few years ago. Raved to my wife that it's a classic.

By the end she'd fallen asleep and I was wincing at how bad it was.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Indiana Jones new one.

Christ this is chronic. Id had enough by the time he got on the horse in the city. 

One of the worst half hours I’ve ever had and I’ve been at 3 childbirths 

avoid 0/10

edit. Tell you what, these Hollywood writers have got some nerve going on strike for more pay when they’re churning out shite movies & cringeworthy marvel & Star Wars every week since covid hit. 

Im all for people striking for better conditions but in this case, if I was the studios I’d sack them all and blacklist the lot of them like the McCarthy witch-hunts 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

My boy gave it an “ok”.

It's very stylised, which is fine, but if you're expecting anything realistic you'll be disappointed.

I still think the scene with the pram on the stairs is a cracking set-piece and some of the villains are hissably bad; there's enough there to make it enjoyable, but it's not a great film.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's very stylised, which is fine, but if you're expecting anything realistic you'll be disappointed.

I still think the scene with the pram on the stairs is a cracking set-piece and some of the villains are hissably bad; there's enough there to make it enjoyable, but it's not a great film.

It suffers from typical problems as most De Palma's films, he does not seem interested in getting good performances from actors (it may be some "meta" thing, or a fetish, I think he married one of the worst actresses of all times) and he is constantly trying to work nods and homages and reworkings and postmodern comments into his films.

It used to be Hitchcock, here it is Eisenstein, with the pram scene from Potemkin and I think the villain is deliberately in white and good guys in black (this is from Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky I think).

So, usually style is the substance with De Palma. Which is often irritating.

The Creator - 8/10. Loved it. Made a relatively low budget go an awfully long way. Looks fucking incredible and JDW is almost as charismatic as his dad. Almost. 

No One Will Save You - 8/10. Again, superb. The last ten minutes are mental and pretty incongruous, but it’s still a cracking little B movie that looks way better than you’d expect for its pedigree and stature.