You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Sicario

Missus wants to go and see Sicario 2 tonight so I thought I’d better catch up by watching the first one. Excellently shot and scored, I like Emily Blunt but not sure her character was properly developed and she was out charisma-d by Brolin and del Toro. Also she is a terrible on screen smoker. Still I would watch a film with her and Daniel Kaluyaa going around solving crimes.

Anyway, to sum up, decent but a bit underdone. 7/10

Sicario

Missus wants to go and see Sicario 2 tonight so I thought I’d better catch up by watching the first one. Excellently shot and scored, I like Emily Blunt but not sure her character was properly developed and she was out charisma-d by Brolin and del Toro. Also she is a terrible on screen smoker. Still I would watch a film with her and Daniel Kaluyaa going around solving crimes.

Anyway, to sum up, decent but a bit underdone. 7/10

2 is good, but for me a bit too similar to the first. You'll still enjoy it though. 

Sicario 2

Not as good as the first one, which I might retrospectively bump up to 7.5 and give this one 6.

There’s a rich area to work with in drug cartels smuggling people over the border, and Brolin and del Toro are both great, but the relationship between the two is hardly touched on, the politics are barely explored, the storyline is a bit of a mess all over. Just a bit of a waste.

We went mega hipster movie watching though at the Thornbury Picturehouse, which is an old car mechanics that has been converted into a single screen 50 seat cinema.

Screen and sound were good, seats were comfy and there was a little table to set your craft booze down on. I had a Stomping Ground Gipps St Pale Ale, the missus had a Four Pillars Shiraz gin on ice.

They also had gourmet snacks so I had a maple syrup flavour choc top. A choc top is an Aussie thing (I think) where they take an ice cream and dunk it in melted chocolate then freeze the whole thing so the whole ball of ice cream and top of the (waffle) cone are covered in chocolate. This one was delicious.

Would hipster again.

Out of curiosity, how much does a hipster movie going experience like this cost in Australia?

The wife bought the tickets, so I have just had to have a little look.

Seats were about £9, which is fairly similar to any standard cinema down here. Beer cost £3, ice cream £3.50.

• Upvote 1

Finally got around to watching Downfall (2004) yesterday.

Holy shit, what a film. The acting is superb throughout and they nailed the claustrophobia of the situation. Magda Goebbels seeing of her kids has to be one of the most harrowing scenes you'll see in anything.

You do need to know a bit about who's who and what they did to fully appreciate the film I think. So for that I'd give it 9.15/10. 

I watched a movie called 'The Rider' tonight - it received glorious reviews all around but I struggled to really enjoy it as it seems quite a dark natured movie while not really very much happens. Cowboy injures his head which makes it hard for him to keep riding horses but he does his best with not a huge amount of incident.

Perhaps I don't have an appreciation for this type of film.

5 Cows out of 10 Boys.

Smashed - stars the guy who played Jessie in Breaking Bad. Really enjoyed this although the subject matter of alcoholism is a difficult one to tackle. It's tackled well to see the effects it can have especially when one person in a dysfunctional relationship is determined to work through it.

Inspiring and thought provoking.

Watched the new Sasha Baron Cohen thing, forgot what it's called. This is America or something.

Quite funny, I've missed seeing famous people being set up and unknowingly having the piss taken out of them, like brass eye and the like.

Currently watch 8 out of 10 cats countdown, it's a womens special so I'm mildly entertained by Sara Pascoe and Katherine Ryan looking tidy and making jokes about their vaginas. Rachel Riley looking tidy and being clever, and there's also Morgana Robinson, she normally looks tidy but she's doing an impression of Natalie Cassidy for some reason so I'm finding it hard to masturbate to.

Watched the new Sasha Baron Cohen thing, forgot what it's called. This is America or something.

Quite funny, I've missed seeing famous people being set up and unknowingly having the piss taken out of them, like brass eye and the like.

Currently watch 8 out of 10 cats countdown, it's a womens special so I'm mildly entertained by Sara Pascoe and Katherine Ryan looking tidy and making jokes about their vaginas. Rachel Riley looking tidy and being clever, and there's also Morgana Robinson, she normally looks tidy but she's doing an impression of Natalie Cassidy for some reason so I'm finding it hard to masturbate to.

These are not films.

• Upvote 1

Latest Avengers thingy.

This was meant to be Deadpool 2 but for some reason a different stream played and I’d watched 20 mins before I realised.

Not bad. Bit too much crash bang for me but I suppose that is the genre.

All in all a good watch if 30mins too long. 6.9/10