You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Dunkirk.

The only time I've ever left a cinema wanting to walk right back in and watch it again. It's quite a short film, considering the events it covered. But there's just so, so much to process. It's masterful, really.

I think I'm going to have to watch it again.

Same. Going back on Thursday to see it again.

Did everyone who has seen Dunkirk see it in IMAX or just standard cinema screens?

See it in IMAX, mate. The fucking sound alone is incredible.

Thought the film was brilliant. Never watched a film on such a scale and felt so fucking claustrophobic. 9/10

Been waiting ages for Dunkirk, actually went to a cinema and paid to watch it (bear in mind that I live 50 miles from the nearest cinema).

Disappointed to say the least.The CGI and special effects were great but I thought it was jingoistic, simplistic, full of cliches and inaccurate in many respects. Improves on the old 1953 version only in the quality of the technology used. Passably acted with Brannagh doing his serious face.

5/10 mostly for the effects dept.

A lot of the soundtrack, by somebody called Zimmer, seemed to consist of hitting an oil drum with his frame with Elgars Nimrod for the finale

Been waiting ages for Dunkirk, actually went to a cinema and paid to watch it (bear in mind that I live 50 miles from the nearest cinema).

Disappointed to say the least.The CGI and special effects were great but I thought it was jingoistic, simplistic, full of cliches and inaccurate in many respects. Improves on the old 1953 version only in the quality of the technology used. Passably acted with Brannagh doing his serious face.

5/10 mostly for the effects dept.

A lot of the soundtrack, by somebody called Zimmer, seemed to consist of hitting an oil drum with his frame with Elgars Nimrod for the finale

How dare you.Those people died for you!

Or escaped in boats very quickly....

Guest Pistonbroke

Albion the enchanted Stallion. 2 furlongs out of 10, what a load of bollocks. Even my 10 year old said it was cringe worthy shite. 

The missus said "Watch a film with your son, how about this one."...............Jesus, I should slap her. How far has John Cleese fallen to play the role he did? 

Albion the enchanted Stallion. 2 furlongs out of 10, what a load of bollocks. Even my 10 year old said it was cringe worthy shite. 

The missus said "Watch a film with your son, how about this one."...............Jesus, I should slap her. How far has John Cleese fallen to play the role he did? 

Think he's been rinsed for most of his cash by his ex wives. Hence this sort of thing

Dunkirk 9/10

Jesus, that was intense and a half.

Felt a lot longer of a film simply due to how much it pulls you in straight from the off and doesn't let go until the final scenes.

An absolute masterclass in creating suspense and claustrophobia but nice to see Nolan make a slightly different film than recent ones and do it very well also.

Also has some nice time shifts with some scenes being shown in the perspective of different people.

One to see on the big screen for sure. I can't see me watching this at home and feeling so wrapped up in what's happening. Even the vibrations inside the Spitfire felt real.

Unreal experience, my nerves were shot throughout....Minus point for Harry Styles though.

All the other cast members were superb, from well known cast to newcomers.

A very immersive and grabbing experience, not so much of a story or dialogue as it surprising didn't need that but an excellent bit of filmmaking all the same.

• Upvote 2

Thought Harry Styles was fine in it.

Oh yeah he didn't do anything wrong but its Harry Styles...

(It was slightly distracting from such an immersive experience if I'm going to be more constructive in my critique. Keep thinking it's that lad from One Direction)

Anyway, fuck him.

Alien Covenant - Better on 2nd watch -7/10

Wonder Woman - Good entertainment- unexpectedly- 8/10

The Mummy - Decent popcorn fair - 7/10

Not only is your taste to be question but you should be banished from this place.

Alien Covenant 7/10 and The Mummy 7/10. Horseshit. They are both 2 at best

• Upvote 1

I watched the first four minutes of The Mummy. As soon as Russell Crowe did that "no look giving someone a letter" action I was out. 

I can't imagine it improves thereafter due to the fact ol' Scientology bollocks turns up.

Dunkirk - Enjoyed it, didn't love it. It did really grip me at times but I found the narrative a little thin and so it felt like a series of entwining set-pieces rather than a story. The sound design and the score were really terrific, added to the intensity, and the dogfight scenes were also great. 8 out of 10

Dunkirk - Enjoyed it, didn't love it. It did really grip me at times but I found the narrative a little thin and so it felt like a series of entwining set-pieces rather than a story. The sound design and the score were really terrific, added to the intensity, and the dogfight scenes were also great. 8 out of 10

If I was going to compare it to a recent film strangely enough I'd compare it to Gravity.

Obviously completely different subject matters but both very simply in story and plot, with one situation after another unfolding with the feeling of the walls forever 'closing in' - obviously Dunkirk has a slightly bigger cast and I would personally say done better.

That's what first crossed my mind anyway. Similar in the experience itself being bigger than the story.

On a side note the score from Hans Zimmer really added to it the visuals, editing and sound effects. Would expect some Oscars in those areas for sure.

Guest Pistonbroke

Your Highness. 5 double entendres out of 10. 

Nothing special but worth watching for the comedy value, quite funny in parts although rather tedious at times. 

How dare you.Those people died for you!

Or escaped in boats very quickly....

My dad was there - 3 days on the beach.Got a whole weeks leave after from a grateful nation before getting put on a boat for Egypt

The Beeb did a far better version in three parts a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Upside Down. 6/10

Unique and interesting idea with great visuals but let down by awful storytelling which lacks any substance. They spend far too long on unimportant mush whilst rushing the best parts. Timothy Spall also has one of the worst put on yank accents I've witnessed. Kind of a marmite film for many but still worth a watch for the idea and the great visuals.