You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chinese food

Section_31

• 6 years later...

Watching celebrity masterchef and Sam Quek has made Sui Mai and had to explain to all of them including the 3 guests what Sui Mai are?!!! How can you go through life not knowing what Sui Mai is. Fuck off 

• Upvote 1

On 11/04/2016 at 11:15, Priory Doctor said:

The feller who had the Golden Phoenix for years has now taken over The New Orchid Garden opposite Alder Hey hospital

Went here for my birthday meal with her family a few months back. It was outstanding. Had no idea it was the same fella (I didn’t remember this post) but it makes sense. Best Chinese I’ve been to in Liverpool since the Golden Phoenix closed. 

I'm doing that 10 Day Detox diet by Doctor Mark Hyman (he said hyman) and so I have had no carbs, sugar, coffee or alcohol for over a week. I've also had no meat that wasn't grass fed, corn fed or worshiped by virgins.

I thought I would pop onto the sausage thread to say that I cannot fucking wait for a big sausage butty on Sunday. I'm not a man of expensive tastes, to I'll probably go for some Edwards Sausages, with the dead nice cheapo red sauce from M&S, but who bread should I go for? 

I fucking love bread!

I am thinking a bin lid, or something like a one of those oval shape barms, which are deep and thick. I'd open to recommendations.

*One t-shirt was slobbered on in the making of this post

52 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Watching celebrity masterchef and Sam Quek has made Sui Mai and had to explain to all of them including the 3 guests what Sui Mai are?!!! How can you go through life not knowing what Sui Mai is. Fuck off 

That's ridiculous, everyone knows that it's a type of traditional Chinese dumpling and in Cantonese cuisine, it is usually served as a dim sum snack. The cognoscenti- like me- also know that in addition to accompanying the Chinese diaspora, a variation of shumai also appears in Japan as shūmai (焼売), and various southeast Asian countries and Australia as dim sim.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Has anyone made crispy seaweed at home? I love it, but you can't seem to get it from a takeaway without them adding powdered fish, which is obviously a non-starter for me, so I'm looking to make my own. I'm mainly wondering what sort of cabbage you need to use, how long to cook it for, and what kind of cooking oil is best.

6 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Has anyone made crispy seaweed at home? I love it, but you can't seem to get it from a takeaway without them adding powdered fish, which is obviously a non-starter for me, so I'm looking to make my own. I'm mainly wondering what sort of cabbage you need to use, how long to cook it for, and what kind of cooking oil is best.

Better with kale isn’t it? She’s made it. It was nice 

Cabbage with butter and bacon ….. phwoar 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Better with kale isn’t it? She’s made it. It was nice

Well, that's why I'm asking. I've looked at recipes and seen all kinds of cultivars of cabbage being used; bok choi, savoy, spring greens, kale, collard greens.

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

Well, that's why I'm asking. I've looked at recipes and seen all kinds of cultivars of cabbage being used; bok choi, savoy, spring greens, kale, collard greens.

I think she just used kale and some sesame oil. Just go for it fella, one of the best things about cooking is trial and error. I don’t think the other stuff would be as thin and crispy as Chinese seaweed gets. 

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Probably for the foodie thread but I've only recently discovered how, relatively, easy it is to make decent take away style Chinese.

All these years wasted!

I don't truck chinese food prepared by Caucasians, I don't care how good it tastes, some things you just don't fuck with. Remember Gremlins.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Chinese 5 spice and a ball of wire wool, if you happen to have a metal fabrication place near you you could ask for a tray of iron fillings for a more traditional texture.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

That's ridiculous, everyone knows that it's a type of traditional Chinese dumpling and in Cantonese cuisine, it is usually served as a dim sum snack. The cognoscenti- like me- also know that in addition to accompanying the Chinese diaspora, a variation of shumai also appears in Japan as shūmai (焼売), and various southeast Asian countries and Australia as dim sim.

Hard to forget since As described by historical materials, shaomai was served in tea houses as a secondary product.[2][9]

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You know fully well I identify as Chinese on occasion.

"That Lo Pan outfit has lost me four jobs, but I maintain it's part of what makes me me..."

Bruce rocking up to his personal development review:

image.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I've never heard anyone in the UK, outside of Liverpool, call them Sui Mai, they usually say dumplings or even just generically dim sum. Mad fact for you, I'm from Liverpool, in my 40s, and didn't know what Sui Mai were until about 12 months ago.

• Upvote 1

I think you're pretty lucky up there with the local options, I don't think I've ever had dim sum tbh, quite like the look of it, but not many options down here and when I was in the South East it generally lost out to other options.

I found out what they were when a Chinese couple took over the roughest pub in Speke and tried to introduce a food menu. 

They were clearly frozen Sui Mai that had been warmed up for two minutes in the microwave but still better than a pack of pork scratchings. 

9 minutes ago, Pidge said:

"That Lo Pan outfit has lost me four jobs, but I maintain it's part of what makes me me..."

Bruce rocking up to his personal development review:

image.jpeg

Exactly, it's not yellow face or owt like that.

I just like to look like, act like and fuck like a long dead, 15th century caricature of simplistic Chinese folklore and heritage stereotypes occasionaly and I get accused of cultural insensitivity and appropriation in Sainsburys when I'm picking up shaoxing vinegar for my Kung Po.

Worlds gone, mate.

• Haha 1