You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your area like?

Street Preacher

I live in Norris Green by De La Salle and over the years It's gotten worse and worse.

I remember as a kid it wasn't too bad but there seems to be a shooting every couple of months or so,and gangs everywhere.

So have you noticed a decline over the years in antisocial behaviour etc or are you lucky enough to live in an area with hardly any crime(If it exists)?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in East Dulwich, South East London. Moved from the wirral 12 years ago.

I've found that your more likely to get shot or mugged down here and not beaten up at kicking out time. I think crime is on the up and I think a large proportion of that is either directly or indirectly linked to the countries ever increasing drug / alcohol problem.

On a side note. I was listening to the news the other day about breweries in scotland moaning that takings were down since smoking had been banned in pubs, like it was some sort of national outcry.

I just thought, "you mean people are actually doing something else than pissing all their money up the wall"

I live in the part of Huyton thats almost in Bowring Park/Roby. Its not too bad, but has declined over the years. Fortunately we dont get gun battles and horrible scally bastards on the streets, but we do get cheeky little bastard know all kids who dont give a shit if they hit their footballs/tennis balls/Golf balls at your cars/windows etc.

Could be a lot worse though if I lived in other parts of Huyton so quite lucky overall.

I live in Norris Green by De La Salle and over the years It's gotten worse and worse.

I remember as a kid it wasn't too bad but there seems to be a shooting every couple of months or so,and gangs everywhere.

So have you noticed a decline over the years in antisocial behaviour etc or are you lucky enough to live in an area with hardly any crime(If it exists)?

Same here bud. I don't know if you know Prestatyn (most Scousers do because it is either full of them on holiday or like me, living in exile) but I live on a brand new estate near Ffrith Beach. In the last 18 months it has gone really downhill. Basically investors have bought a lot of the houses and are renting them out (this now included people on the social).

Just one instance sums up the entire area. Bin collection day is today (Thursday). Anyway my girlfriend and I came home from a long weekend in Herefordshire (Leominster) on Tuesday to find rubbish strewn all over my garden. The next-but-one neighbour had put 5 bags of rubbish out at least TWO days (we had been away since Sunday morning) before the refuse collectors arrive to collect the rubbish.

Add into your thinking we are just 250 yards from the beach (seagulls - horrible, disgusting vermin), plus there are numerous cats and dogs on the estate (who will eat anything and often do) then you can understand why leaving bin bags full of unfinished food, chip wrappers/polystyrene boxes, McDonalds boxes, greasy paper, empty yogurt bottles/containers is at best unwise, at worst down right ignorant.

Now I hear a house was burgled on the estate so the alarm is going back on. We turned it off because Charlie (our kitten) set it off twice by climbing up the upper stairs (it's a three-storey house) and ecause the very same neighbours who left the rubbish out complained about our alarm going off at 9am and 6pm.

When I moved in it was a nice, pretty estate with reasonably expensive houses (I lived at home for 5 years to save the deposit) now it's looking like the worst council estates with rubbish everywhere. My mum grew up on a council estate in Huyton and reckons my close looks worse than anything where she lived.

Next-door is also rented. I've dug out the garden (the grass) in front of my house and replaced it with a variety of pretty plants/shrubs. The piece of grass between next door and mine is full of disgarded cigarette butts, and I have found the same things in my lovely front garden. We live in a close so there is no need for people to walk past the house (indeed it is very rare) so where are they coming from?

My brother came round the other week and correctly identified which houses are rented by the state of the front of the house. If I was renting I'd want to live in a nice environment. Sadly this is not the case where I live.

I just want to sell up and move (with my girlfriend) to an even more expensive area as it seems the only way of ensuring you aren't living to a house that is rented.

I'm no snob, I grew up with nothing but our little house always looked nice.

Guest Will Warmer

"Add into your thinking we are just 250 yards from the beach (seagulls - horrible, disgusting vermin), plus there are numerous cats and dogs on the estate (who will eat anything and often do) then you can understand why leaving bin bags full of unfinished food, chip wrappers/polystyrene boxes, McDonalds boxes, greasy paper, empty yogurt bottles/containers is at best unwise, at worst down right ignorant."

Surely these animals helped clean up the mess?

Please don't blame them as they didn't make that mess they were just helping you and all you do is complain about them.

If I had such luck I would be happy and none of us would have to take out our rubbish again. The gulls that shit on you are nothing short of ignorant, fair do's but give credit to those gulls that help you instead of just stereotyping into a box them based on what the media tells you.

Guest TK-421
Don't a certain percentage of new estates have to be given up to the housing association? Or is it an urban myth?

Sometimes, it depends what conditions the local authority impose upon the developer as part of granting planning permission. Usually there will be a designated percentage of social housing, such as shared ownerhip housing, on a new development.

EDIT: TK421 is in Cricklewood, North West London, in the London Borough of Brent. When not on Pluto.

Don't a certain percentage of new estates have to be given up to the housing association? Or is it an urban myth?

Urban myth i think - HA's are the new council house's, which will soon be obsolete.. all private estates will remain private, and all council tenants will become HA tenants..

It seems that we live in a pretty selfish society filled with fuckwits.It used to be a few spoiling it for the many but the few has grown and there's more knobs than ever.

The big thing where i live at the moment is the Stand Crew vs the Crocky Crew.I mean you think they'd at least come up with decent gang names wouldn't you?

We had a drive-by-shooting a few houses down from us a couple of months ago.

From mouthy kids not showing anyone an ounce of respect to gang wars.I think the shit's been hitting the fan for a while now but it's one thing reading it in the papers and another when it happens on your doorstep.

I live in a boss little part of Huyton. Its the new(ish) estate by the Crofters. Hardly see any gangs anymore round here but it was quite bad about 2 years ago. Still nothing compared to other parts of Huyton which I'm glad about to be honest.

I know the part of Huyton where you live fella. If you carry on past the leisure centre, the Derby lodge, the golf course, under the railway bridge and onto windsor rd, im in one of the crescents off it.

Guest TK-421
I know the part of Huyton where you live fella. If you carry on past the leisure centre, the Derby lodge, the golf course, under the railway bridge and onto windsor rd, im in one of the crescents off it.

Is Huyton near the Dagobah System?

Aye, a few of me mates live down that way. Merton Crescent way?

Urban myth i think - HA's are the new council house's, which will soon be obsolete.. all private estates will remain private, and all council tenants will become HA tenants..

No, it's true. Certain housing estates have to provide a proportion of cheap housing otherwise they won't get the requisite planning permission. We were looking at houses in Bodelwyddan (near the A55 - where the Marble Church is for those who know where I am on about) and the sales girls told us that there were a couple of low cost houses on the estate because the council demanded it.

Same here mate. I live by the crown off the East Lancs. Theres a few little bastards by ours.

Everytime someone's been shot recently I either know who it was (who was shot) what i t was over, or the person who done it. It's fuckin way out of hand.

No, it's true. Certain housing estates have to provide a proportion of cheap housing otherwise they won't get the requisite planning permission. We were looking at houses in Bodelwyddan (near the A55 - where the Marble Church is for those who know where I am on about) and the sales girls told us that there were a couple of low cost houses on the estate because the council demanded it.

That kind of shit is out of order if you ask me. If your paying between £190,000 and £300,000 for a house, you want to be living somewhere that is scall/yob/chav free. It's not much to ask.

I live in the heart of the Woodchurch estate. known to many as the anglo saxon hood. The pidgeons fly upside down because theres nothing worth shitting on. Hoole road shops is like Jamaica queens but with white scals in lacoste traccies and grey air max hoodies. I have lived in Leeds before and worked in Sheffield. I can honestly say Sheffield is a shit hole. I like the estate where I live. Been here most of my life and its what you know isn't it. Don't get me wrong, I want to do some travelling.