You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Cup great players

Jose Jones

Normally after a world cup you can look back and point to players who were the stars of the tournament. Either players you knew were great already but really stamped their name on the competition (a la Ronaldo in 2002), or players you hadn't seen much of but had a really good tournament so they kind of become synonymous with that particular competition (Schillaci or Roger Milla in Italia 90).

We're over half way through this World Cup and I can't really see anyone so far that really looks like making their mark on the tournament. I think the players who have most impressed me so far that I didn't know about have been the Ghanaians. Essien and Appiah in midfield and that Gyan bloke up front. But they'll have to beat Brazil to really count. Thoughts?

Klose, Riquelme (his last match wasn't the best though), Saviola, Lahm, Torres and Appiah. Kaka has been good too, and Vogel. No one has taken the position of the best in the WC yet though, I think we have to wait for it.

Maxi Rodreguez and Riquelme have done ok, as has Klose.

Maxi Rodrigez is a good call. And Klose has done well, and if he scores as the Germans go through to the final then he'll probably get the nod.

Maybe I'm a bit out of step but for me Riquelme hasn't really done that much, ok so he dictates the pace of the team, who play really good stuff, but he still looks like he'll shit it when the pressure goes up a notch. I reckon Germany will beat the Argies in the quarters and he'll be fairly anonymous.

Ronaldo has thrown his weight around a bit.

I think the later stages, like now are when players start raising the bar. Who remembers Rossi being absolute shite for italy in the group stages then more or less winning it on his own.

I said this ages ago! There have been no outstanding individuals, really, with the exception of Messi. In previous tournaments there have been great players from smaller nations too, but there's been none of that this time. That's been the only disappointment in this World Cup for me.

It's too early to look for outstanding players of the tournament. The ones who make the headlines post-tournament usually get to the final (or if I'm being generous, semi-final). Other than that, they get an honourable mention for a special goal or whatever. The class that we're talking about here normally comes to the fore towards the conclusion of the tournament.

Guest TK-421

I agree that no one player has stood out, Rodriguez has made a lasting impression and I like the look of Podolski.

Players such as Ronaldinho have failed to deliver but there is still time for someone to grab the tournament by the scruff of the neck.

Buffon Cannavaro and Gattuso have all been excellent so far. Riqulme has been top class too, and Marquez. Also Zambrotta (best full back in the world).

Good shout. If the Mexicans had managed to get through, a lot of people would be raving about him.

Everybody knows he's a good player but he really proved it in this tournament for me.

The usuals have caught my eye - Messi, Riquelme, Torres but one player who Ive been really impressed with is Phillip Lahm. His technique is near perfect and is everything you want in an attacking full back. He's good coming forward, puts an excellent cross in, can beat a man and has a hell shot on him. Most attacking full backs lack one thing though - they're shit defensively. But he's not, he has pace gets back and has an excellent tackle.

I reckon Dida has had a sterling tournament so far- you have to be a good 'keeper with Brazil's defence. And although he has been a sub for the main part, Carlos Tevez looks absolutley outstanding; so strong and tough to knock off the ball.great feet, too

Marquez is a fucking awesome player.

Klose's a great poacher.

Ayala's been great too, still tough as nails.

Haven't seen a Maradona 86/Pele 70 player though - Ronaldinho has been quiet by his standards and Messi and Tevez haven't figured enough.

I reckon Dida has had a sterling tournament so far- you have to be a good 'keeper with Brazil's defence. And although he has been a sub for the main part, Carlos Tevez looks absolutley outstanding; so strong and tough to knock off the ball.great feet, too

and he looks like Stig Of The Dump. Awesome player though!