You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) - Sun 4th Feb 2024 (4:30pm)

Trumo

3 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

So you reckon the ref would have changed his decision if he wasn’t shouted at? Interesting take, as for the close to 50 years I’ve been following football I’ve yet to see that.

We'll never know will we. My point was that he didn't get booked for being fouled, he was booked for dissent. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

The subs made us poorer today. Been a while since that happened. 

I thought that happened on Wednesday too. 

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

Onwards and upwards bad day at the office. Ali has plenty of credit in the bank.

Oh and Anthony Taylor is a cheating manc cunt 

Didn't think Taylor made the difference there today to be honest. There's maybe a touch of his normal death by 1000 cuts, but even that wasn't it's normal levels. We lost today because probably only Macca got close to being average. Everyone else was sub par. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Didn't think Taylor made the difference there today to be honest. There's maybe a touch of his normal death by 1000 cuts, but even that wasn't it's normal levels. We lost today because probably only Macca got close to being average. Everyone else was sub par. 

I'm not blaming him for the loss I'm saying he was one sided in his reffing. The fact he started throwing yellow card to arsenal players after they had won to even the stats showed me he is a cheating cunt

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Torvald Utne said:

VVD got in the way of him kicking the ball, not talking about who should have done what or who should have been where but when he tried to kick it van dijk's arse was in the way.

Can't blame him for the shot through the legs, got a deflection off van dijk taking it away from where he had set for the save.

Virgil's arse has been very busy past few days. Sometimes he talks out of it, sometimes it gets in the way of our keeper. 

A few hours later and whilst it still stings the reality is it was our 2nd defeat of the season and it is February.

We've come a very long way since this time exactly a year ago when we were nowhere and getting dicked by Wolves 3-0 off the back of getting knocked out the cup at Brighton and being without a win in the league in 4 (1 draw, 3 defeats)

Here is the table from exactly 1 year ago today:

Screenshot-20240204-224544-Chrome.jpg

So as much as today is a disappointment, we are a very different team in a very different position, with it all to play for in front of us....Let's see where we are in a month ahead of when the race really starts to pick up....

• Upvote 5

49 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I'm not blaming him for the loss I'm saying he was one sided in his reffing. The fact he started throwing yellow card to arsenal players after they had won to even the stats showed me he is a cheating cunt

Aye, but we need to get on with it, it's not going to change. Klopp has that moan at the end of the game (that ref decisions.went against us). That today is about as good as it gets off Taylor. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

A few hours later and whilst it still stings the reality is it was our 2nd defeat of the season and it is February.

We've come a very long way since this time exactly a year ago when we were nowhere and getting dicked by Wolves 3-0 off the back of getting knocked out the cup at Brighton and being without a win in the league in 4 (1 draw, 3 defeats)

Here is the table from exactly 1 year ago today:

Screenshot-20240204-224544-Chrome.jpg

So as much as today is a disappointment, we are a very different team in a very different position, with it all to play for in front of us....Let's see where we are in a month ahead of when the race really starts to pick up....

Fuck me, I'd managed to block out just how woeful we were at that stage.

Given the performance, would people have been actually happy about scraping a draw if Alisson and van Dijk hadnt pooed themselves? To me, a loss and a draw are the same thing here. 

We have just been unlucky that we went to the second hardest game of the season without all our elements. And some last minute absences, at that. Having all these options and loads of good subs to bring on is the reason we are where we are in the table. The 11 that was sent out there really had little chance, unless it was gonna be another smash and grab like it was in the cup. 

I would've definitely taken a draw once I saw the team sheet and that first half performance. Especially the way they conceded our goal, it would've really done a number on Arsenal's mentality I suspect. The good thing though is that they might actually show up when they play City now. assuming they don't fuck up on their own before then. As for us, well we just have to take this one on the chin and perform up to standard for the remainder of the season. We're still head of Arsenal on the same amount of games played, and it's hard to say it makes the City game more important because we were already going to go for it against them at home anyway.

2 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

You were saying similar before the game. It made zero sense to me then and makes zero sense to me now.

It makes no sense to anyone who is old enough to work out how points work.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Given the performance, would people have been actually happy about scraping a draw if Alisson and van Dijk hadnt pooed themselves? To me, a loss and a draw are the same thing here. 

We have just been unlucky that we went to the second hardest game of the season without all our elements. And some last minute absences, at that. Having all these options and loads of good subs to bring on is the reason we are where we are in the table. The 11 that was sent out there really had little chance, unless it was gonna be another smash and grab like it was in the cup. 

Something that irks me slightly is the idea that "it's the draws that kill you", when - prior to yesterday - it was the draws that were keeping us above City (assuming they win their games in hand).

When we play as shit as that, a point would have been a welcome bonus.

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

that’s right, and as the lads said on the pod today - especially Jules - you’d be wrong to say he was a major impact on the result, but still… minutes before Konate’s first yellow he chose not to give a free kick to Jota because it was both players at it. Yet Matinelli is grabbing all over Konate and making no play for the ball and yet free kick, instant yellow. Then seconds after the (fair) second yellow, completely ignores the foul on numez (and certain yellow for Gabriel).

no way his fault we lost and in reality only minor impact on the game overall but his selective approach to refereeing is why I maintain he’s the absolute worst ref in the league.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Bob said:

that’s right, and as the lads said on the pod today - especially Jules - you’d be wrong to say he was a major impact on the result, but still… minutes before Konate’s first yellow he chose not to give a free kick to Jota because it was both players at it. Yet Matinelli is grabbing all over Konate and making no play for the ball and yet free kick, instant yellow. Then seconds after the (fair) second yellow, completely ignores the foul on numez (and certain yellow for Gabriel).

no way his fault we lost and in reality only minor impact on the game overall but his selective approach to refereeing is why I maintain he’s the absolute worst ref in the league.

I don't think he's the worst where we are concerned as that title belongs to Paul Tierney, despite his performance last week. We've had a couple of those off Taylor over the years too. But he's a shocking referee and he clearly thrives and giving us the raw end of the deal. But it had zero to do with the defeat and everything to do with the fact we couldn't retain possession once we got near the top 3rd. Despite dominating the ball, we barely got the ball into the box, because all our domination was when they let us have it passing around the back 4 and macca, once we tried advancing from there, we'd lose it. 

9 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

We'll never know will we. My point was that he didn't get booked for being fouled, he was booked for dissent. 

The reason for the dissent was that he didn't get the foul.

Was just too much going into that game without our leading scorer and then Dom going down last minute. Even allowing for thar we didn't play well but if Mo was there we might have had some threat.

Do Arsenal never get injuries apart from that perma crock Jesus? Seem to churn out the same lineup every week.

I'd love someone to injure their manager. Still wound up by him after a night's kip.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Something that irks me slightly is the idea that "it's the draws that kill you", when - prior to yesterday - it was the draws that were keeping us above City (assuming they win their games in hand).

When we play as shit as that, a point would have been a welcome bonus.

And I think we'd have got it without a defensive faux pas.

4 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Was just too much going into that game without our leading scorer and then Dom going down last minute. Even allowing for thar we didn't play well but if Mo was there we might have had some threat.

Do Arsenal never get injuries apart from that perma crock Jesus? Seem to churn out the same lineup every week.

I'd love someone to injure their manager. Still wound up by him after a night's kip.

Martinelli was crocked last night and will be sidelined for a while. Big loss for them