You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

On 24/03/2024 at 12:22, Razoray said:

Not a go at you, as De Zerbi is one of the front runners but how the fuck is De Zerbi regarded as elite? 

Well he isn’t, is he but the field seems to be If not Alonso then him and Amorim. 

The more I think about it, the more I’d love for them to explore their chances with Ancelotti for 2/3 years. 

7 hours ago, Manny said:

Keys is beyond parody isn’t he? Like the result of some awful one night stand between Richard Madeley and Alan Partridge.

At last something I understand! 
I’m going to get negs for this but I’ve never seen a Rocky film!

On 24/03/2024 at 17:39, 3 Stacks said:

I think it was @Razoray who said, the shoes are not even that big anyway and I agree. Klopp was a special manager and we may not ever reach the heights we did with him, but he was also bad for a few years as well and no one seriously thought about sacking him. Klopp himself said at other clubs, he could have been sacked. 

Even putting Liverpool aside, we're at an era in the Premier League where the league itself is rich and attractive enough to players where if you do a good job as a manager, you have the resources to do something. All we really need is someone who can do an objectively good job and who isn't a twat, and our fans will believe.

You misunderstood me if you think I meant that the shoes are not that big. They are huge shoes to fill but if the new manager conducts himself well, shows that there is a plan and there is incremental progress, he will be given time. The (sane) supporters understand that we need to punch above our weight to win trophies, especially against the cheats.

My reference to Klopp was that he had some seasons where we were not competitive for the league at the start, but were in 3 finals in the first three years and qualified for the CL in year two and three while not spending very much and playing exciting football, while incrementally improving. 20/21 can be put solely down to the CB absentees. We were top after Christmas when Matip joined Gomez and Van Dijk in the treatment room, lost 6 games in a row at home (we have lost only one other league game at home since April 2017) and won 26 points in our final ten games when Klopp fixed the issue. The only "bad" season we had was last year but that is an anomaly given the consistency in all competitions in 21/22 and 23/24. 

My point was that the new manager does not need to be a Klopp personality, he does not need to immediately win trophies, but he needs to carry the weight of the position well, play good football, show that there is a plan and be competitive. If he does that, he will be given time, especially by the matchgoing fan. However, he will need a body of work to be safe from a bad season. Klopp's results since he got here could only have resulted in being sacked from 3/4 clubs on the planet and that's because they are supported by a load of entitled twats. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t want what Glen Johnson has been smoking. 

IMG_1168.jpeg

If I was Klopp and saw that name linked at replacing me I'd feel fucking insulted.

53 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Southgate is a fucking fraud of a manager, he must lovingly snuggle some big FA bollocks.

Who was it on here who said

' You'd have to feed the cunt with a flat hand '.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, andyj said:

If I was Klopp and saw that name linked at replacing me I'd feel fucking insulted.

There is a case for Southgate. 
He develops young players. 
He’s capable of improving good players and (the Ben White Mystery aside) those players seem to be loyal to him. 
England had been dreadful for years (and got worse with each tournament) under The Owl, before he transformed the team into perpetual challengers. 
He’s been the most successful England manager bar Sir Alf. 
Everyone likes to pretend he’s too loyal - particularly to Maguire - but England simply don’t have many good central defenders. Southgate dropped Rooney and Hart immediately, binned Dele Ali long before he became so bad his name was prefixed with the words “Everton flop”, and had no hesitation about binning former regulars like Eric Dier or Sterling. 
Southgate wouldn’t be my first pick as manager, but with every passing day I become more convinced that Xavi is the man, and fear more that we won’t get him.

Southgate’s England record is more enticing to me than one Portuguese title in three seasons, or “Was better in than Graham Potter was at Brighton”. 

19 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'd be surprised if Southgate can even establish himself a career on par with the likes of Pardew, Alladyce, etc once he leaves the England job. 

He'll be Steve McLaren MkII. Except without the Championsh Shleague. Big Gamesh.

All of this new manager talk is leaving me just cold and non-plussed. I don't think I'll be excited about anyone.

Even if it's Alonso, it'll be like getting a step dad. I mean, yeah, he's a nice bloke and he'll look after your mum and that. But it's still not your dad, your dad is leaving you, and your family isn't gonna feel like it did.

I dunno, I feel like with everything going on with the oil clubs skewing everything, VAR, the referring, the constant international football breaks, the fucking horrendous bantah and poverty/tragedy chanting... this might be a natural way just to let it all drift out of my heart a bit.

• Upvote 11