You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Priority of domestic cups this season

El Rojo

I understand the need to prioritise but I think we should try and win whatever is in front of us. We spent years just aiming for 'top four', but who can remember where they were when we qualified for the CL? I can remember where I watched every League Cup final. 

This season has also proven that the notion top players won't come to you if you're not in the CL is bollocks too, because we're not and they did. 

• Upvote 2

League Cup and Europa league are there for the taking. We're top of the league. Ok a shitty FA Cup tie but we're in a superb position considering as I'm sure we all agree, we aren't anywhere near what we're capable of. 

I'd have taken your hands off for top 4 and the europa league at the start of the season. Now I'd be a bit pissed off if we didn't add to that with more silverware. 

58 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This season has also proven that the notion top players won't come to you if you're not in the CL is bollocks too, because we're not and they did. 

It’s always been nonsense. Just look at how the mancs and Chelsea have spent when not in the CL.

Only caveat is maybe we could have swung Bellingham with CL. No CL certainly didn’t help. As good as Szoboszlai is, he’s not Bellingham.

Anytime we qualify for the Champions League we do well in it its not like we turn up and go out in the group stages. We've been in 5 finals in the past 18 years and countless quarter final and semi finals. At the start of the season it was the aim to get back in it. It's where we need to be. 

Might be an unpopular opinion but the cup runs two years ago absolutely killed the squad because everyone started dropping like flies the week after the cup final which is why Fabinho, Van Dijk and Thiago weren't fully fit for the CL final amd in my opinion it cost us that game.

9 hours ago, Scott_M said:

It’s always been nonsense. Just look at how the mancs and Chelsea have spent when not in the CL.

Only caveat is maybe we could have swung Bellingham with CL. No CL certainly didn’t help. As good as Szoboszlai is, he’s not Bellingham.

You really believe FSG would have sanctioned a 100 million pound transfer for Bellingham? It was never happening in reality. We've done well regardless.

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You really believe FSG would have sanctioned a 100 million pound transfer for Bellingham? It was never happening in reality. We've done well regardless.

They sanctioned £110m for Caicedo, although that was on the back of Hendo & Fab leaving.

If we’d have qualified for the CL and knew Hendo & Fabinho were going earlier, I think we’d have stuck stayed in the race longer.

Either way, I agree we have done well so pointless dwelling. I don’t think anybody expected us to be in the position we’re currently in.

On 12/12/2023 at 20:55, Scott_M said:

They sanctioned £110m for Caicedo, although that was on the back of Hendo & Fab leaving.

If we’d have qualified for the CL and knew Hendo & Fabinho were going earlier, I think we’d have stuck stayed in the race longer.

Either way, I agree we have done well so pointless dwelling. I don’t think anybody expected us to be in the position we’re currently in.

To be honest and whether it was a genuine option or not,I preferred the idea of two or three extra players of possibly inferior? quality as I think that was what was lacking last season,particularly in midfield. We have gone down that route and,so far,it's paying off. Next project is the defence.

13 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

To be honest and whether it was a genuine option or not,I preferred the idea of two or three extra players of possibly inferior? quality as I think that was what was lacking last season,particularly in midfield. We have gone down that route and,so far,it's paying off. Next project is the defence.

Take your point. We certainly needed more bodies / legs last season. 

Would Bellingham have fixed that on his own had he been put alongside Hendo and Fab? We’ll never know and currently it is working as well as we could all have expected, no point dwelling on it (although Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Gravenberch and Bellingham would have been something to behold!).

Agree on defence. Be interesting to see what we do. Do we believe that much in Quansah, Bradley, Chambers & Scanlon or are we going to rebuild it all in a summer? I think VVD can keep going at the top level for a few years yet, I assume Matip is going to leave, Robbo is almost 30… I think we need a player or two, mid-20’s-ish, who can contribute to the first team straight away. 

Depending on Mo, we might need to address the attack as well.